1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

strobostomp hum

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cpsdawg, Sep 25, 2006.

1. cpsdawg

cpsdawg Member

the output jack of my strobostomp is adding a low frequency hum to the signal. i've had it a couple months and havent noticed this until a week or so ago. it is set to TB. i haven't switched it to the buffer as it is strapped to my pedal board and i didn't want to take it off. it also pops pretty good when switching. is it going bad? any body else with this issue? thanks, chris.

2. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

I do not have this problem. However, you don't have to take the bottom off to change the setting :confused: (or maybe you just have it in close to the next pedal so that the battery door is inaccessible, or attached so that it is blocked.) Most I've seen (and my personal placement) are on the far right, so the battery compartment is free to pop off and on. What are you using to supply power? For hum, that would be my first thing to check. Next would be the patch cable(s).

3. zzz

zzz Member

I run my ss from the second output of my tzf so the signal does'nt go back to the rest of my system. If you have a pedal with two outputs that should work.

4. landru64

landru64 Member

the pop is a known problem in true bypass. i have followed this on their forum. their answer is "true bypass pedals pop." there are discussions of how to add a 'pull down' resistor to diminish the pop, which is a technique many pedal makers use as a matter of course. why these guys couldn't have done this in the first place is beyond me, but they obviously don't know much about pedals.

the low freq hum is new to me, but it might be discussed on their forum.
    http://www.strobostomp.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=21

in the end, i decided to get another one and just use it like any tuner... not in the chain. i'm kind of pissed because its value is diminished significantly by this but it still is the only strobe tuner for the floor that's available as far as i know. and i guess i'm basically addicted to the accuracy.

the minute someone comes out with a TB strobe tuner that doesn't have a pop and that is made better, i'm buying it

5. cpsdawg

cpsdawg Member

yeah funky, i cant get to the battery compartment the way it is mounted. its weird because its not a loud hum like a ground loop common to pedal boards. its powered by a one spot. but i even powered it on its own and ran just that pedal and the hum is there. :jo
    so, i guess i'll try the peterson site. thanks

i agree the tuner itself is great, but for as much as these cost, they should have done a little more homework (ie the switch pop, screen cover coming loose, cheap feeling jacks) . maybe all this will hold up, but time will tell.

6. BrianB

BrianB Member

They're pretty helpful. I did a post in their forum about my face sticker lifting and they got with me the next day and offered a replacement. It hasn't shown up yet, but I got a letter about it...

I think you got it right though about quality. This is one of the worst products for guitar I've ever purchased. The quality control and well, quality just plain stinks for something you're going to put on a pedalboard. Design sucks too. Who came up with it needing an LED that shines brightly in your eyes when the tuner is off? I would think the massive blue screen would be enough to know it's on. Same even goes for other modes where the screen is on all the time. LED is off when it's on :NUTS Tunes great, but feels like an Behringer pedal.

As for the hum, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't just poorly wired. Read a lot of reports about the switch being wired wrong and/or bad connections.

7. landru64

landru64 Member

my first one broke in the first week... the cord plug got stepped on and the input jack just fell apart. kudos to peterson that both that and my vs1's knob that broke off (also cheapo) were fixed free and quickly. but they really are made like crap. yes this is a good icon: :NUTS

8. BrianB

BrianB Member

Yeah, PCB mounted jacks can be fine IF they are secured to the enclosure properly. Mine wiggle around quite a bit.

9. twangbanger

twangbanger Member

had the same problem w/ the input jack busting installed another one and now I'm using a 90 degree conn mounted securely to the pedal board w stickey backs and ty-wraps. They sure used some cheap parts and design, but is still the best tuner out there for me!

10. Boleary2

Boleary2 Supporting Member

I am having the same issue, I am using an ernie ball vol pedal with a tuner out, and it is inducing hum in my pedalboard anytime it is plugged in to the volume pedal, i tried inline, both true bypass and buffered and in the tuner out..

i was thinking of lifting the ground for just this pedal and seeing if that made a difference, but i realized the adaptor is not grounded very disappointed, but it is a great tuner...other than its construction and the sound quality that comes through it....

11. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

This is scary. I've never had any issues with my Strobostomp. Silly question (and no insult intended), but you've tried different patch cords into and out of the SS, right? I generally keep my SS on TB and put it first in my signal chain. Never had a problem after a year of near-constant use.

12. landru64

landru64 Member

just check out the strobostomp forum; there are plenty of folks who have had problems, and probably plenty of folks who haven't.