Strobostomp mod to remove jitter/high freq?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GaryMcT, Jan 4, 2008.

1. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Has anyone modded a Strobostomp such that it has a cap in there somewhere to so that when tuning you don't have to turn your tone knob down to get non-jittery results? Does the Strobostomp 2 have this built in? If not, why not?!?!?! :)

2. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Whaat?

All strobe tuners are sensitive like the Strobostomp, they're designed that way. You don't really need to roll back the tone, I think the volume is more important honestly. :)

3. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

The "jittery" response is due to it's accuracy in hearing overtones, not just the fundamental pitch you're tuning. Every time you hit a note, there are many frequencies (pitches) that make up the timbre we here as a "guitar sound".

To reduce how the Strobostomp hears these overtones it's best to turn the guitar down about half and use the neck pickup. The latter not as important as the volume.

The Strobostomp isn't perfect, the jack constuction on mine SUCKS!!! But it's still the best tuner in terms of accuracy and features (true bypass).

Good luck!

4. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

OK, I'll try to turn my volume down instead of turning the tone down and selecting the neck pickup. Doesn't really help me when I'm tuning an acoustic though with no preamp, etc. :)

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

a passive piezo pickup with no preamp? that might be the problem. try the tuner after your preamp, so it gets a loud, low impedance signal. (really, nothing should be between a piezo and its preamp, not even too much cable.)

remember, that "jitter" isn't the tuner, it's the string itself. once you get a feel for that, you can hit the string to get an even tone and tune with the goal of getting the display to just stop scrolling up or down, not to stop moving entirely, which it never will. you shouldn't have to turn the guitar down at all.