Strobostomp - which mode do you use?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Charles#5, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

Merry Christmas everybody. I was wondering how you all use your Strobostomps, in true bypass mode or in DI mode? What are the advantages and disadvantages of both modes?

Cheers,

Johan.

2. Den

Den Member

For my electric rig, I always use the SS in TB mode. This mode is intended to have minimal negative impact on your signal ... you may want to search this board for discussions on the merits (or not) of true bypass.

As a DI, the goal is to convert the signal from high impedance to low, allowing longer cable runs without signal degradation. This would be a benefit in the case of an acoustic/electric guitar running directly to a PA. For some acoustic gigs coming up, I'm going to be using the SS this way. I'll run a 1/4" guitar cable to the SS and then an XLR microphone cable to the PA.

If you'd like to learn more about DI's, you may want to visit Radial's website ... great info there.

3. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

TB mode...
    Only because I noticed a slight hissing noise in my signal chain when running it in non-TB mode. Flipping it to TB mode got rid of that problem.

-Ben

4. KLB

KLB Member

I use a Tone-Jam modded Boss GE-7 as a buffer after a Zendrive and TIM.
    I put a Radio Shack Y splitter on the GE-7 output. One side goes to the Strobostomp and the other side continues to a delay. The Strobostomp is always on, but out of the signal path. I sometimes put a volume pedal before the delay if I have room for a larger pedalboard and/or must have silent tuning at the gig.

5. 1968

1968 Member

I still don't understand why the default setting is not TB..

6. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

agreed ... i got one today and i was kind of wierded out by that

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

use it on TB with GTR sweetened tunings. Heavenly sound

8. alguit

alguit Guest

I also use the sweetened tempered tuning, and it is great! I don't put it in TB, though-I'm running a Cornish pedal after it, which is buffered, and there's no need for TB.

If anyone wants to really explore this, go to Cornish's site and read his essay, "The Case Against True Bypass." One doesn't have to agree with it to find it interesting reading.

9. 1968

1968 Member

There is nothing wrong with a few TB pedals- as long as you have a buffer pedal (boss for eg)

10. alguit

alguit Guest

I agree; the problem was in my phrasing-I meant that with the Cornish pedal, MY Stobostomp does not benefit from being set to TB.

I have no problem with TB pedals...but sometimes I do think that some people do put too much emphasis on using only TB...for my increasingly tired, old ears, players such as Hendrix, Page, Beck, Trower, etc all got some of the greatest tones ever without the use of TB.

It's good that the benefit of a buffer pedal has been brought out here; it's something that many players I know don't understand.

11. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

My Strobostomp is in the TB mode...both of my guitars are "Feitenized" (Suhr Classics), and so I tune using the BFE temperament. The guitars were recently retro-fitted with the SSC System...after a few weeks...I felt that the intonation needed to be set again...I'm happy to say I did it myself by following the method described on the Petersen forum...if you have a guitar with BF, a Strobostomp is essential.

Anyway, I enjoyed this process and I am pleased with the results...the guitars sound great and I know I can do it again...with confidence...even if it's right before a gig:eek:

I think it's important to be able to fine tune and adjust your own instruments...the Strobostomp is very handy in this regard.

12. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Right- and mine hissed when NOT in TB. I have nothing against buffers... I just don't like ones that hiss or change my output volume. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees (there's a lot of threads about this) that one or 2 buffered pedals strategically placed on the pedalboard is a good thing :AOK . I particularly like my Axess BS-2 right up front, and I've got a DD-6 bringing up the rear.

-Ben

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I use a boss eq-20 as my buffer. When it's bypassed in my loooper, my tone really suffers; the eq-20, even in bypass mode (meaning in the signal but off) really brings life back to my tone.

I like my tone better with all my pedals than plugged straight into amp though :D

14. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Curious- due to an injury i play entirely in Open E tuning. Anyone have experience with the "sweetened" mode with E or other open tunings?

15. dosmun

dosmun Member

That won't get it out of the signal path. The EQ is probably buffering it so it doesn't affect the tone or the Strobo doesn't affect your sound. If you have a tone sucker and just Y it off without a buffer it will still suck tone.

I used to use a Boss TU12-H. I would run out of one of the outs of my SHO. with the SHO on it sounded fine when I would turn the SHO off I could definetly notice the difference.

16. dosmun

dosmun Member

I run my Stobo in buffered mode because I like to always have it on. I don't notice a difference or at least enough to switch to TB mode. I also use the GTR tuning setting.

17. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

Very good info as I've thought about doing that myself.

18. doctorx

doctorx Member

Has anybody ever had a problem with the readout fading on their Strobostom? Mine is about a year old and a few times in the last two weeks the readout got real light and faded.

19. j_hotch

j_hotch Member

I use the buffered output mode, and I use the tempered tuning setting (GTR) when tuning up.

Also regarding the jacks: I carefully tightened the locking nuts up on those jacks and put some locktite on the threads. That seems to make them a lot more sturdy.

Just my $0.02 US.

20. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Mine comes off the "Tuner out" on a volume pedal with the DI going out to PA. That way one tuner, and I can switch between acoustic and electric rocking the volume back, and un-muting the tuner out, using the same cable. I imagine it'd work well with a Piezo bridge electric guitar, too.