Strobostomps Users Poll - Please Respond!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by discountsounds, Feb 26, 2006.

What kind of music do you play and do you gig frequently with your Strobostomp?

1. I'm a Rocker and I gig frequently

2. I'm a Rocker and I gig infrequently or not at all

3. I'm a Non-Rocker and I gig frequently

4. I'm a Non-Rocker and I gig infrequently or not at all

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. discountsounds

discountsounds Member

Inspired by posts from page 2 of this thread...

For the purposes of this poll, consider yourself a rocker if you play rock, pop, blues, metal, etc. If you play jazz, classical, acoustic folk or other more 'genteel' forms of music, please consider yourself a non-rocker.

Also, consider yourself a frequent gigger if you play out at least once a month.

Basically, I'm trying to suss out if rockers playing live gigs are successfully using Strobostomps during live shows and not slowing down the momentum of the show. Taking extra time to tune seems to be not as big of a deal for the 'non-rocker' live gigs and it's definitely not a big deal if most of your playing takes place in the studio, rehearsing, practicing, jamming or whatever.

Looking forward to seeing the results and reading your comments. Thanks!

2. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

In my "other" life, I play low brass, and always used the Conn strobe tuners, so I am comforatble with that kind of setup, which the Strobostomp emulates.

I had a TU2 before the strobostomp, and it took the same or even a little longer amount of time to tune with it than the SS..... The secret to making it easier/quicker is to use the neck pickup, and roll off some tone. It will really stabilize the thing, but it does take a little getting used to.

It also makes itonating the guitar much more accurate. I used to use the TU2, and all my axes were right on according to the TU2. When I redid them with the SS, they were all over the place.

It really depends on your ear and what you'll accept. I thought my guitars sounded great before, now they sound better. YMMV.....

Mine fell off a table, and the input jack bent a little, but it still works fine.

BTW, I am definitely in the hacker/weekend jammer category, so take that into consideration too!

3. Occam

Occam Member

Why would the strobo take more time? I tune up really fast and my setups are usually good enough that I rarely need to tune between songs anyways which is a good thing because our shortest song is 9 minutes and more are between 15-25. I also switch to the neck pickup and sometimes turn the tone down but not always...picking at the 12th fret also helps get a nice fundamental so you get clear, accurate reading without the bounce-around of most Boss tuners. We're not currently gigging now but I've had mine since they came out and when we were gigging I've never had even the slightest problems with my strobo or the VS-1 I had before that.

4. discountsounds

discountsounds Member

It has been mentioned that there's a learning curve with the Strobostomp. I haven't had the opportunity to use a strobe tuner and since it's so much more precise than a TU 2, I'm wondering if users tend to spend more time tuning since a TU 2 would tend to give 'false positives' that wouldn't occur with a more accurate strobe tuner.

5. Madsman

Madsman Member

Your first week with a Strobo, it WILL slow you down. No question about it. After that, it's faster. The more accurate a tuner is, the easier I find it to tune. Strobo kicks ass. "Frequent rocker" opinion.

6. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

I used a strobostomp for awhile, but I found that being that accurate actually throws you off a little. I'm back with a blow pipe and a korg tuner and sound much more organic.

7. Madsman

Madsman Member

You must have clicked the non-rocker link. :) Pitch pipe on a stage at a rock show? :)

8. discountsounds

discountsounds Member

Really? Throws you off in what way? Did it mess with your playing? What kind of music do you typically play? Thanks in advance...

9. discountsounds

discountsounds Member

Ah, pitch pipe! I thought blow pipe might have been a thinly veiled drug paraphernalia reference...

:jo

10. Madsman

Madsman Member

Heheh or maybe it's a weapon with poison tipped darts... that would be useful at a rock concert when you're trying to tune. :)

11. tedm

I'd get obsessed with tuning more than playing. Once my guitars are intonated and setup, a Tu-2 or Korg, or if in the studio, the pitch pipe, are more than accurate enough.

The thing to do is to not tune with whatever you use, at open strings, but at 5th, and 12th frets as well.

12. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

Myself and the other guitarist in my band use strobostomps live (usually twice or more a week) and at practices (another two times at least). We love them. Never had any problems with them electronically, and once you're used to it, it's actually much faster when tuning.

Depending on your situation, we've found that it's extremely wise to plan "tuning spots" into a set. If you're a cover band it's a slightly different ordeal, but we play all originals, and we usually have a 25-35 minute window. We cut the chatter as much as possible. So, tuning spots are a strong factor in how we arrange our set. There's almost always a point we can adjust our tuning within a song or two, and there are ways of covering for each other (keyboards and pre-recorded looper pedals) so it's not even awkward that we're tuning alot. That way, we're seriously almost always in tune. Maybe a little OCD, but I can't stand hearing a band that's out. I sure as heck don't want to be one.

13. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Thats what I hated about the Boss TU-2. It seemed like I was always tunning in between every song, the low strings expecailly. And then you would hit a E chord, and the guitar would still sound out of tune. I really cannot believe that boss puts this **** out on the market.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net
    http://www.phensic.com

14. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

use the guitar tempered tuning, you won't have that issue. A guitar set up (intonated) and tuned w/ the Strobostomp sounds organically in tune all the way up the neck

15. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

you realize that pitch pipes, with their reeds, can lose pitch over time and dep. on conditions like humidity, temp., etc.?

16. tedm

that's why I calibrate it with strobostomps, korgs, and tu-2s. I doubt it shifts more than the doppler effect of a perfectly strobotuned guitar, playing through an open room.

17. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

frequent gig rocker here

love me SS. Takes just about the same time to tune with the SS than with the TU-2. If you take away the time it takes to roll down the tone/vol knobs and roll 'em back up again, it's faster

18. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I've heard this twice now, what do you mean? I've never heard this untill this thread and another, why would you have to roll the volume and tone knob down?

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net
    http://www.phensic.com

19. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

How does a properly tuned instrument sound non-organic, then? Not trying to be confrontational, just that I don't quite get that 'organic' reference. Do you mean you like being slightly out of tune better (a la the Kinks or some Ramones stuff, etc.)? I know some people dig that vibe.

-Ben

20. tedm

do the best ones tune by ear? or with a strobo stomp?