Struggling with pedal board envy

loveme1965

Three chords, no waiting!
Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for posting this. There’s a lesson here.

Prince had a simple board filled with simple pedals.
View attachment 282071
I'm just trying to say that you don't need boutique pedals and the hottest version(s) of [Insert Pedal Here] to sound amazing. It's doesn't matter. Don't let what others have take away your joy of playing. Rock what you possess at your fingertips...or feet.

Cheers!

Babow2

Live gigs killed here
Gold Supporting Member
After many years of using multi channel amps and trying to get “the” clean and lead tones with the amp, and multiple guitars.... I finally realized it was easier to find and get the tone I wanted with a clean single channel amp and pedals. Selling off an amp or two funded lots of pedals. It is much cheaper to buy/sell pedals than amps. Now, I can use multiple guitars with the “right” vibe for each, albeit with a variety of pedals. I have two very different amps, and each has its own board with the pedals I like for the particular amp.

Find pedals that sound good to you, not because of the name. Also, as do,done else said, be intentional about what you want; for example, I want a Dumble tone and a Marshall tone, so I try out and obtain the particular Dumble style pedal that works for me and the right MIAB pedal that rocks my world. Use your ears, not your eyes and have fun.
View media item 234518

adolan

I have been thru this. I made do gigging for 20+ yrs with the folowing

MXR Dist + (OG modded with LED)
Boss DD-3
Boss CE-3
Boss TU-2
TC Electronic Booster/Line Driver+ Distortion (x2 one to most 1 for slight Drive)
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Only recently did I go down the rabbit hole (after making my debut here as I lurked since whenever on my sig)
Here is what I can tell you about that.
I bought and flipped about 28 pedals, I lost $270 over 4 yrs, I gained $440 on some pedals so the $270 includes the windfall.

My current board is amazing and expensive and probably if it were FPR would be like $6500-7k, having said that, its a utilitarian board mostly with a splash of color, some ppls board I think wowzers, looks like a video game candy shop and bad graphics cornball o Rama!! but then someone pally looks at my board and thinks meh, overpriced ugly Cornish gear etc! :p

But, Now I am putting together an all Boss MIJ board with the BCB-6 complete old school right down to the TU-12 as well, I figured since I have been messing around with my Boss pedals why not have fun now that 30+ yrs later I can make em sound better than I did when I was 18yrs old ;) and in going thru some of my Boss stuff, the DS-1, the OS-2 I realize man, Boss really nailed it the first time around, so yeah, I'm out for fun with this one and to compare to see just how much different it is to the $$$$ big board I have.

I used to think to myself WOW, how the hell did they buy this and that etc, but then. found myself there, my friends said yooooo, yer crazy!! haha, but let me tell ya, there is ALWAYS someone who has something you dont/cant/wont be able to afford etc, and thats fine, DO what you can with what ya got and go for it!!
When I gigged with the first set up all those years ago, I got mad props, always got paid and had a blast and no one ever said "man, you need a real set up/board" etc...

So go at your pace, and enjoy what you can and forget about everyone else...Do You and your thing!

Last edited:
Isn't envy a sin, though? Seriously, though: It may be because I'm in my 40s now, but I don't care what others are using--unless I hear they play something that sounds great/unusual and go "whoa what's that sound?!".

I think you should just focus on the pedals you can afford that will get you close to the tone you're developing. There's a lot of good tone in cheaper boxes. I'm much happier with some Boss OD pedals these days than I used to be with some boutique German units I had in the past.

Oh yeah, and screw the IG pedal show-offs.
Thank you Riffa. And thank you everyone for your insights. @BlueLou said it best; if I'm buying an expensive pedal to make me feel better, it will work for a very limited amount of time. Frankly I'm going through a very emotional time with my divorce. And I'm looking for something to make me feel better. And expensive guitar gear won't do it. I've got some Boss pedals, some Dunlop pedals, some JHS pedals, some Digitech pedals, some Zoom pedals and a bunch of pedals from Amazon by Joyo, Caline, Mooer and Donner. And they all give me the sound I need. Maybe one day I'll invest in an expensive pedal that I really find inspirational. I'd love a good Tape Echo pedal someday. But being so emotionally charged, today isn't the best day for that.

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
I appreciate a nicely laid out, clean, pedalboard regardless of what's on it. It's just not for me anymore. I have three boards and no longer use them. I have a very large bookcase/cabinet filled with pedals that I will use when recording. Otherwise I'm like a three pedal max player. Maybe it's because I'm older, or got lazy, or whatever. It works.

Riffa

Thank you Riffa. And thank you everyone for your insights. @BlueLou said it best; if I'm buying an expensive pedal to make me feel better, it will work for a very limited amount of time. Frankly I'm going through a very emotional time with my divorce. And I'm looking for something to make me feel better. And expensive guitar gear won't do it. I've got some Boss pedals, some Dunlop pedals, some JHS pedals, some Digitech pedals, some Zoom pedals and a bunch of pedals from Amazon by Joyo, Caline, Mooer and Donner. And they all give me the sound I need. Maybe one day I'll invest in an expensive pedal that I really find inspirational. I'd love a good Tape Echo pedal someday. But being so emotionally charged, today isn't the best day for that.
No problem, mate. I've been there and am aware of how tough that can be. Hang in there and play as much as you can, use the stuff you've already got, which I'm sure is pretty good as it is.

Jonathan

Platinum Supporting Member
When I go to church on Sunday and see thousands of dollars of Strymon's and Timmy's I get envious. I often think "If I just buy that Strymon Flint" or "if I get that 200 overdrive pedal I'll be happy."
Lincoln Brewster plays a POD.

Don't worry about fitting in with your gear - just stand out with your playing.

PhuzzphayzZ

buy some pedals, make yourself happy.... so what if it's only for a while... get something that will challenge you...

better than vodka, dope, gun...

I don't know hoooooow one gets laid in this b.s. current scenario

The lack of a good woman's love makes all the pedals in the world seem like meh

Maybe a PLL?

bigben55

I'm down to JUST what I need, nothing more. My main board consists of: Strymon Flint>Carbon Copy>Fulltone Fat Boost3>Dr Z Z Drive, and a Wilson wah on the floor. I might replace the Z Drive with a King Of Tone when my name comes up on the list, but thats it. No envy for me.

hippieboy

Silver Supporting Member
Not bat at all to feel like that, we all feel like that one way or another, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less, I think honestly it's part of the fun, you can't have everything, and that's ok.

guitarman92

I was just thinking about those IG boards... there are two feeds in particular that burn me up. The mini one is especially bothersome - it's almost like some dealers (Reverb?) got tog and decided what to push, and you constantly see the same handful of pedals thrown onto otherwise innocuous boards. Yes- they are pleasing to the eye, but almost every one of those boards is un-playable in the wild. The way that double-switched pedals are stacked right next to each other would make the switches inaccessible to anyone with anything larger than a boys size 4 shoe.

And really - how many people have use for a Meris Enzo? yet every other board on that feed seems to have one - and low and behold.. there they are online, all priced within $5 of each other.

Don't let that sh1t get you down man. If you are happy with your tone/sound - then it's prb great, and ultimately, isn't that what matters?
don’t you dare talk ish about my Enzo. I use it for.... fun. Fun, yes fun.

Jonathan

Platinum Supporting Member
wait.... is the Gorton'sFisherman your avatar? lol
Yes it is. Honestly, I don't even know why. I used to drink a lot (I haven't had a single drink in over a year, but that's another thread). I drank a fifth of vodka one night and the next day I discovered that I had changed my avatar to that. I left it - to remind myself of why I don't drink anymore. ;)

Trending Topics