Struggling with pedal board envy

Hi tonedover, I’m not sure who actually built it. There is a apportunity to get a similar pedal from these guys “http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au”. I have built two+ of their rangemaster clones with the tone tweak. I obviously use them as germanium predrivers for almost anything, I luv em on the front of a Fuzz face. These mini pedals have a voltage generator internal so they can run off standard Boss 9v supply. BUT sometimes the supply locks up and power down, power up fixes it. Let me know if you want to pursue a couple of these, I could possibly source and build em for you. They don’t have the fancy graphic but then it’s your secret pedal. This same guy has them on eBay but his feedback profile is starting to loose it so he maybe going bad. Here’s one finished on a velvet. Rock on.

Attachments

Steve Hotra

Gold Supporting Member
I went from no pedals on a board pre-TGP, to a few pedals on my first board when I first joined TGP:
View attachment 282094

I then felt just like the OP, and decided to fill it up. Traded my first electric guitar away and my big honkin' twin reverb for a CS Rosewood Tele and a '52 tweed princeton. And I should have STOPPED RIGHT THERE:

View attachment 282096 But oh, no. GAS had other designs on me. OP, take my advice, never let it get THIS bad:

View attachment 282098

When the pedalboard is bigger than the amp, it's time for some soul searching instead of tone searching.

These days my board is much more manageable, and is just right when it comes to the guitar-pedals-amp ratio in every way. Good stuff.

View attachment 282099 I do still have that Pedal Pal but it doesn't connect with this new board, so it might as well be a dinner plate. And the only stuff on there is my real situational pedals, a Champion fuzz, and my Janglebox compressor for my Ric 360-12 soirees.
Love your board with the CE-1. I need to get mine back on my board.

Rmccamey

Anyone ever found that "sound" with pedal(s) and later, figured out how to get the same sound with just the guitar and amp?

mikes66

Gold Supporting Member
Don't feel bad, it's all hype I have had boards with the most expensive , coolest looking pedals and the old standbys, albeit, much cheaper actually sound better. If you don't believe me go on equipboard and look at the rigs of guys that are rich and would get free pedals. Their boards look crappy next to most TGP bedroom players.

100JH

I have loaded up a PT Grande and am very happy...now i just go 1 on 1 with challenges

Long road, lots of money spent, but excellent tone and many options. I am cutting very small percentages

cosmicevan

The funny thing about gear in general....is that if you are a really great player, it doesn't matter at all what kind of gear you have. Also, if you aren't a really great player, it doesn't matter at all what kind of gear you have.
Excellent insight!

I can't really take credit for it and I'm sure I butchered it, but that's the general gist. It was actually a quote from a very famous musician (who slips my mind) which would make it even more apropos.

You hang out at a car dealership, you start wanting newer and fancier cars...
Boy this is some fantastic insight right here. When I have gone to dealers in the past to get an economical car like a Camry or Corolla, I invariably start eyeing up the sports cars and the mega SUV's that I couldn't even afford.

I suffer from envy of people who have small simple boards.
Grass ain’t no greener.
You hit the nail on the head, Stinger. I've found this with everything in life; guitars, cars, places to live, states and countries that I've lived in, relationships and so much more. For me it's not that it's been rarely greener. It's never been greener on the other side. I moved to Los Angeles 20 years ago and made 6 figures a year and was chasing my rock and roll dreams in Hollywood. And I have never been more depressed and miserable in my entire life.

This is my church pedalboard. Only one Strymon pedal.
It's how you use the effects to get some of the "modern" worship effects.
I push back against this all the time> I tell churches I don't want to sound like Bethel.
Lets create something different :)
Thanks for sharing this, Steve. Your board is simple and it does everything you would need it to do. At band practice this weekend, I was using a Behringer Ultra Tremolo, an old Boss RV3 for ambient sounds, a Zoom MS50 set to spring reverb, slapback echo and chorus. And I was enjoying the sounds that I was getting.

My GF is an artist - and a very talented one who paints just about every day. One Day it occurred to me to enquire about her equipment. So I asked her what brand of brushes she used, and also if her favorite ones were rare or hard to get. She looked at me as though she had no idea what I was talking about. Then she told me she had no idea what brand her brushes were and in fact she didn’t care. She said that she was driven to create art and added that if she had no brushes, paint or canvass she would draw in the dirt with sticks. I felt a bit humiliated considering how much I spend on my seventh phase shifter etc. I think she’s on to something.
This may be the most astute insight we could be given as artists. If someone took away all our fancy gear and we had nothing to play on and we somewhere were able to get our hands on a First Act guitar, Zoom 505 multi effects and Crate amp, I'll bet we could all make good music on it.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
That’s true. But a good chef really appreciates a good set of properly maintained knives. I see no issue with a guitarist having a good set of noisemakers ready to go and plugged into a good power source. I guess the ridiculous parallel to the knife thing would be a chef having a cabinet full of every type of knife he could ever want, but cmon he’s not even a four star sushi chef, so what is that Damascus hand forged fillet knife doing there?

100JH

That’s true. But a good chef really appreciates a good set of properly maintained knives. I see no issue with a guitarist having a good set of noisemakers ready to go and plugged into a good power source. I guess the ridiculous parallel to the knife thing would be a chef having a cabinet full of every type of knife he could ever want, but cmon he’s not even a four star sushi chef, so what is that Damascus hand forged fillet knife doing there?
Great analogy but I was the same as an Executive Chef. Knives, butter curlers, Japanese ice carving tools, general French tools like potato ricer, chinoise, garde manger, mandolines, etc., etc., etc...My kitchen tools sit @ +20k now

I am sure that the OP is overwhelmed at this point!

Loco!

Last edited:

Shuster

Gold Supporting Member
I gave up, every single time I stung together a masterpiece,, at least to me,, pedalboard, I wasn't happy with something?!?! Then you know the drill, figure the easiest way to correct it, only to find the pedals I want to swap are different sizes:jo So I now have 3 empty boards sitting collecting dust!

Trending Topics