Stryde MIDI Controller (Kickstarter)

RockDebris

I have a functional prototype for an Open Source MIDI Scoller/Router I'm hoping to get off the ground. It's a little niche for sure, but I think it handles scrolling in a very intuitive way and has all the I/O you'd need to use it stand-alone or combined with a more complex MIDI rig. Plus it's easy to use and pairs nicely with smaller effects pedals that only have a TRS Input.

The kickstarter campaign info is here:
Stryde MIDI Controller Prototype

The full details about how the pedal works are in this demo:

Thanks for letting me get the word out here.

BTW, this is what I'm shooting for in the final look of the product:

Last edited:

RockDebris

8% funded so far. Thanks so much to those who have shown early support. There is a long way to go, but also a lot of days left.

I've been working on a few added value items:

1. Bidirectional TRS MIDI. The TRS MIDI OUT is fine when pairing Stryde with the likes of Strymon, Chase Bliss, Meris, etc., however certain pedals also support Bidirectional communication over TRS. I've breadboarded a new circuit that adds this support to Stryde, turning the TRS MIDI OUT into a MIDI OUT and IN for those who need it. This effectively turns Stryde into a merge box for those kinds of pedals. It's all good stuff, and barring any unforeseen roadblocks, I plan to make this a reality.

2. Alternative Firmware #1. I'm going to demonstrate how Stryde, as an Arduino-based open source project, can be reprogrammed into a completely new pedal by creating two new firmware packages. The first is a complete rewrite: A MIDI A/B/Y Router. Having nothing to do with scrolling presets, loading this firmware onto Stryde will turn it into a command box for switching the incoming signal between two outgoing MIDI signal chains. Some will find advantage in this for very complex MIDI systems.

3. Alternative Firmware #2. The second firmware is an alteration of the existing Stryde code where it will become a Dual Preset Scroller, giving it the ability to scroll two pedals on two different MIDI channels independently using each footswitch.

Of course, the intention is that any new firmware will be open source and loadable onto the pedal by the end user. You are free to choose one and load it at any time, and developers such as myself will be free to provide any sort of customizable behavior required.

RockDebris

The first alternate firmware I have planned for Stryde is now complete.

MIDI ABY provides a means to route signals to two different MIDI paths by means of pressing a footswitch. Users can also send MIDI Commands into Stryde to set the signal path programmatically. Here's a demo:

Any alternate firmware that I write will be released as open source should this project reach its funding level. I'm also always on the lookout for other firmware ideas to increase Stryde's usefulness and utility.

RockDebris

This Dual Scroller firmware takes the original Preset Scrolling for Stryde and configures the footswitches to independently scroll on two different MIDI Channels. Here's a demo:

During the creation of this firmware, I also started putting the pieces in place for a Firmware Template that I'll make available as a good starting point for writing your own MIDI firmware for Stryde. It'll setup the most common classes for handling footswitch presses, updating the display, presenting configuration options and sending/receiving MIDI.
Since there is still time before the end of the campaign, I'm now considering another alternate firmware that's completely different from the 3 I've already made. More news on that to come.