Strymon Big Sky and Timeline or other pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cklug2, Feb 20, 2015.

1. cklug2

cklug2 Member

Hey all! This is my first post in the forum and I'm looking for some advice from my fellow pedalheads! I'm building another pedalboard to use primarily for worship music. I've already compiled the following: Polytune, SP Compressor, JHS Double Barrel, JHS Superbolt, EP Booster, VP Jr., and a Micro POG. My next decision, and arguably most important for this board is the delay and reverb. I'm heavily leaning towards a Strymon Timeline and BigSky, but there are some other options. For that money, I could get a DD-7, DLX Memory Boy, Emerson Paramount, CMatMods Signa Drive and a Descent/BlueSky... or the Timeline, BlueSky, Signa Drive or Paramount and an analog delay. I need some advice here! If any of you have more suggestions, I am totally open to them. Basically, are the Timeline and BigSky worth it? My heart says yes and my brain says maybe not. Thank you in advance!

2. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

They are totally worth it. Whether you'll like them, only you can decide. But as a matter of "worth", IMO they are appropriately priced for what they offer. Gigging for the past 2 years, I started with the Mobius, got the Timeline and last year replaced my BlueSky with the BigSky. I've never regretted the money spent on them. I'm doing a series of fx centric videos right now (released 3, planned 16) and those are at the heart of it, because they are what I have used and dialed in for live work.

One thing you might consider is getting the BigSky and something like an H9 Max. That's what I use for my small board. The BigSky because it's hard to find something to replace the really great algos it has and the H9 to handle everything else I may need before it (usually just one effect, or at least one critical effect). Gets me about 95% of what my big board can do and sounds almost as good (I say "almost" because I do give advantage to the Timeline and Mobius on the most important algos I use). Coupled with a MIDI controller, the H9/BigSky combo covers a TON of ground.

3. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

It seems that money is not a constraint here, so go ahead and try both, maybe an echoczar and a few pete cornish too.

4. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

5. Enusire

Enusire Member

Welcome bro! :)

I think you firstly have to know what you want.
    And secondly you have to know what you want.

:p

What I mean is it is very important that you figure out what you really want and also what you really need.

There are several things to consider.

Do you need a delay/reverb where you can have different delay/reverb settings? Do you need a TAP-Tempo at your delay? Do you need several storable banks? Do you need a delay/reverb pedal which doesn´t takes much space? Are you going to play live with them? How do you want to power your delay/reverb? etc.

All these things depend on you. So maybe it´s a good idea just to sit down and thinking about what you really need & want from a delay pedal / from a reverb pedal. Just make a list and then look what possibilities there are on the market which cover your needs. And then I would order them if you can and try them out, get a feeling what you really like and what you don´t like.

The question..

..first depends on what you want, need & also what you are willing to pay. But bro, of course I see your point and I also would look into the internet if it is worth paying that much money for a pedal. I use the internet to get a tendency of things, but never as a compensatory of trying!

For example, once I searched a delay I finally settled down on three choices.

- Timeline
    - Nova Delay
    - Boss DD20

I searched for opinions, for pros & cons and then I ordered all three. Finally I decided to keep the BOSS DD20 because I personally prefered it over the others. Yep, I prefered the DD20 over the Timeline. :console

I have the Boss DD20 with a TAP-Tempo switch and the Strymon BigSky.
    And I love both. For me it was important that I can easily switch presets in live situations, that I can adjust different delay/reverb types - and of course that the sound is superb.

Besides all that. The BigSky sounds SO good. Really. Just try it, you won´t regret it imho, if thats what you are searching for.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  6. Gillespie1983

Gillespie1983 Member

Since playing at church involves a small set list each week, perhaps a BlueSky will meet your needs. That's 180 bucks cheaper than the BigSky. I've never needed more than two reverb settings in one service. But each church is different.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    natethegreat12 likes this.
  7. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    H9, or two, and look into Neunaber Seraphim, Mr. Black Eterna and the Neunaber Slate for verbs.
    While an H9 is a great pedal, by adding specific verbs of choice, you open up the combinations to go with an H9.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  8. pats

pats Supporting Member

What about 2 h9's?

Lots of good reverb and delay plus many more when you want/need them

Get a MAX and CORE, and all of the MAX algorithms will appear on both units

9. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

Get a Big Sky if you like but forget Timeline.

TimeFactor/H9 or an Echolution 2 Deluxe are much better options.

10. rufe

rufe Member

Couldn't be happier with my BigSky/Timeline Combo. Love both of them, and they're super-tweakable. Some Sundays it's overkill, some Sundays I'm glad I have a plethora of options to cover what I need.

The H9 is great, but for a big set list and multiple churches/songs it was too much work to setup, and a pain to navigate on the fly. And while the factor series are great, strymons are easier for me and sound just as good (if not better to my ear).

I would 100% take a Timeline first, then the BigSky. But Strymons reverbs are great so if you're looking at a BlueSky, might as well get the BigSky and have a reverb machine that makes you want to play even in your off time to explore all the different sounds.

11. telepunk

telepunk Member

I agree that you need to try a few things. I also agree 100% that the Strymon pedals are worth the money. I have thought about replacing my Timeline numerous times just out of curiosity, but you just can’t replicate the number of sounds, the convenience, and the features for anything close to the price.

If you are already considering the Strymon pedals I say buy and try them. You could easily sell them if you don't end up liking them. I use a Timeline and a BigSky and I really, really like the combo. If you go that route I recommend a Disaster Area controller like the DMC3 XL Gen2. You can set presets that change both the Timeline and BigSky at the same time. I am a contemporary worship player/leader and those two pedals with the Disaster Area controller are extremely useful tools for me.

I am sure the H9s would do the same trick and you can use Disaster Controllers for them as well. I have tried both and I personally prefer the sound of Strymon delays and reverbs compared to the Eventide Factor stuff. I just don't like the sound of the Eventide effects as much. But, I have heard others say the same about Strymon. It depends on what you prefer.

I don't recommend the BlueSky vs the BigSky considering it sounds like the cost is not a huge issue. The swell feature, MIDI, and the 3 presets per bank would make it worth it for me (swell on the Timeline sucks), but I also like the Cloud and Bloom reverb sounds and the modulation on the BigSky is worlds better than the modulation on the Blue Sky. Finally, the BigSky has a cab emulator that actually sounds really good if you ever need to play direct at church or into an iPad/iPhone at home.

Just for reference, I have tried several TC Electronics delays, Eventide Timefactor/H9, Empress Tape Delay, Boss Delays, Carbon Copy, Earthquaker Devices, Diamond ML Jr, EHX Memory Man/Memory Boy, Line 6 DL4, and probably a few more.

I always come back to the Timeline for the sound. And, the functionality is a bonus.

12. G22

G22 Member

One H9 won't replace the Timeline and bigSky. Only 2 H9 will replace Timeline and Bigksky. Cost about the same and I better like having the Strymon's pedals. Sounds better to me and easier to configure on the pedal itself.

Also if you'll play live often theses are a great choice if you want to go with a looper that is midi so you can control everything easier. The Strymon pedals are really reliable and high quality. For the price it's a go-go.

13. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

If you are about to drop $900 on two pedals I would definitely go H9 core and then H9 max...that will come to just about 1k. (Sweetwater just called me yesterday and they are always running deals). Those two h9s will do far more than the two strymons. Plus with the eventide editor you will never run out of options.

14. Sean413

Sean413 Member

Yaa bigsky for sure and think about a h9 for delays and a carbon copy for the analog sound. I pretty much have that same setup and it's just killer for what your looking to do

15. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

16. cklug2

cklug2 Member

Thanks for all of the replies guys! I'm almost ashamed to say that I've never even heard of the new Eventide H9 until now... :hide2 Lol. I'm definitely going to check it out a little more. The board will be primarily for live gigs that have somewhat extended worship sessions, so versatility simplicity/organization is very important. The only thing that makes me skeptical about the H9 is how difficult it could be tweak on the fly. That being said, I think its an awesome pedal that may be more beneficial for studio work. I dunno know though. Have any of you had experience with it live? Would it make sense to get two H9's rather than the Timeline and BigSky? Would one H9 do the job? I feel as though the Timeline + BigSky combo is hard to beat for ambient swells and such. Thank you all again for the replies! I'm loving this forum more by the minute!

17. charley

charley Supporting Member

I have a Big Sky and a Timeline. Both are great pedals. I am in love with the BigSky.....it is just so lush. The Timeline is cool, but I find that I prefer using an analog delay. I live the options of the Timelune, but would rather have one great analog delay.....not much use for reverse delays, lofi, or the other stuff the Timelune has. rest assured, if you do have use for everything these pedals fo, you won't be disappointed. They are both great

18. to_be_released

to_be_released Member

For me, I decided the big strymons weren't worth it. I like the sound of strymon pedals, but I prefer simpler interfaces, and I personally am not a fan of pitch shifted repeats and/or shimmer effects. I didn't have a particular desire to get the more esoteric delay and reverb modes.

As such, I've opted for an el capistan and a flint. I like to think of them as the strymon big three "lite," as they cover delay, reverb and modulation with simpler options and controls.

As pointed out, whether it's worth it will be dependent on your personal needs and desires. It might be worth it simply for the fun you'll have exploring different delay and reverb options. You might (unlike me) really want the shimmer modes from the bigsky and the ice mode from the timeline. You might really want/need to have presets for your different songs that can easily be brought up. Or you might just be after a solid, decent sounding delay and a solid, decent sounding reverb, in which case there are many cheaper options that will fit the bill. Any of these reasons is reason enough to make a decision. If you do decide to get them, I suspect you're unlikely to regret it.

A couple of tangential things - first, your first post implies that if you don't opt for the big strymons, you'll immediately be spending the allocated money on other pedals. I would encourage you to minimise the rate of pedal acquisitions. Get to know each new pedal before buying another. Second, I know that for me, one of the greatest benefits of my strymon pedals is how they sound in stereo. If you're looking at spending this much money on a pedalboard, it's worth investing in a second amp if you haven't already. I personally run a 50 watt Mesa alongside a 5 watt clone of a tweed Princeton. The smaller amp cost less than my Flint.

19. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

When I'm running my big board at a show, I use the 3 big Strymons and an H9 Max. The H9 is definitely not tweak friendly in the heat of the moment. The Strymons are more so. That being said, really best to rely on presets and a MIDI controller for all these pedals. Even just switching presets in all 4 of these pedals without some kind of external controller can be a pain. It requires sure footing and sharp wit. If you like to tweak between or during songs, and use pedals in an ad-hoc way, go with simpler pedals (such as the Strymon 5-knob pedals ... I have Flint, Brigadier and BlueSky on a board I use in an ad-hoc fashion with other material and at rehearsals).

I'm not divided between Strymon and Eventide. I use both. The H9/BigSky combo is very powerful. However, the cumulative effect of the 3 Strymons is the stronger solution, IMO. There are only a few areas where I prefer the H9 algo to the comparable Strymon. If I am unable to use the 3 Strymon boxes for some reason, say I could only use 2, I'd choose the H9/BigSky and not Timeline/Bigsky, simply because I'd want to have the second pedal fill the roll of both delay and modulations.

Turning attention to just the H9. One H9 alone is probably not what you are after. 2 H9's would indeed be very powerful and totally acceptable for nearly anyone's needs. If you do get an H9 Max, in the absence of other effects and depending on need, having a second H9 Core is an obvious choice. The way you can put 1 H9 in your fx loop and 1 before your amp, and then load any effect you own in either, is extremely flexible.

20. G22

G22 Member

Like said before, H9 on the fly isn't the key. I highly suggest you get a midi controller. I,m using the Musicomlab MKIV that is perfect with Strymon pedals but maybe you don't need that much loops.