Strymon Blue Sky vs MXR Reverb

Hey guys. I'm planning on picking up a reverb pedal tomorrow. There's a strymon blue sky for $220 used and the mxr reverb with tax is gonna be about the same. Should I go for the strymon or just stick with the MXR (like I was planning)?

Fwiw I haven't tried either, but that Dunlop video is sweeeeet. I'd be using it mainly for basic reverb, but do like the idea of having multiple options. My local GC only has the MXR and Boss RV6, and I've tried the boss and didn't really connect with it.

EDIT: There's also a neunaber seraphim locally for $160. I don't know much about it and will have to look it up, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Last edited:

tedm

The Carbon copy? If that's the MXR you're looking at, I like the Blue Sky better. It's digital, but pretty good sounding, and quite a few more features like you can up the volume +/- 3db, store a single favorite preset that persists, use it with vocals, stereo, etc., no expression pedal though. I always thought the Carbon Copy was a bit dark, the original green one. Never tried the "bright" one.

blackba

Silver Supporting Member
I buddy has the blue sky so I get to hear it often, great pedal. That is what I would opt for, assuming you like the strymon sound.

I have a digitech rv7, boss rv6, and empress reverb for what it's worth. I personally really like the boss rv6 and feel it hangs with the top level reverbs well.

I buddy has the blue sky so I get to hear it often, great pedal. That is what I would opt for, assuming you like the strymon sound.

I have a digitech rv7, boss rv6, and empress reverb for what it's worth. I personally really like the boss rv6 and feel it hangs with the top level reverbs well.

I'm thinking about the rv7 or supernatural as well. I like pedals that are outside the box and the supernatural does that. I'm also thinking about just grabbing the rv6 again and giving it another shot, and returning it if I don't bond with it again. It was a nice pedal, it would just be nice to know if the mxr is better lol.

The Carbon copy? If that's the MXR you're looking at, I like the Blue Sky better. It's digital, but pretty good sounding, and quite a few more features like you can up the volume +/- 3db, store a single favorite preset that persists, use it with vocals, stereo, etc., no expression pedal though. I always thought the Carbon Copy was a bit dark, the original green one. Never tried the "bright" one.

Not the carbon copy delay. I'm talking about mxr's newer reverb pedal. Newer meaning almost a year old lol.

John K.

I'd 100% say the BlueSky, but I'm a Strymon guy and I've actually heard some people don't like the Strymon sound. I have a BigSky, but so often I feel I could totally do with just a BlueSky if I didn't need MIDI.
But as a shoutout to Dunlop, those knob covers for easy turning with your foot is awesome for adjusting the mix knob on the Strymon :p

TheKermitC

Hey guys. I'm planning on picking up a reverb pedal tomorrow. There's a strymon blue sky for $220 used and the mxr reverb with tax is gonna be about the same. Should I go for the strymon or just stick with the MXR (like I was planning)?

Fwiw I haven't tried either, but that Dunlop video is sweeeeet. I'd be using it mainly for basic reverb, but do like the idea of having multiple options. My local GC only has the MXR and Boss RV6, and I've tried the boss and didn't really connect with it.

EDIT: There's also a neunaber seraphim locally for $160. I don't know much about it and will have to look it up, but thought I'd throw it out there.

I dont know about Mxr. But I have owned both the Bluesky and the WET. WET wins over bluesky hands down , sits really well in the mix ...the hall algorithms of both are comparable..but the shimmer of WET just feels so natural.. I sold my bluesky without regret ...waiting to try the bigsky in the near future....

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the suggestions.

It sucks, cause the only one I can try first is the mxr. The other two are Craigslist ads. I have about $250 to spend, so I'm also having the idea to just get the RV6, and use the extra $100 on a locally used Earthquaker Devices Fuzz master general. I like fuzz pedals more than reverb lol.

Back to the reverbs... The seraphim seem a little limited compared to its competitors, does the two reverbs it has sound good enough to justify buying it instead of the others?

I don't either, probably the polar opposite haha. But after looking at the neunaber, is it like the TC electronic, where you can download any preset to it? (not necessarily through phone/pickups). I saw a review where it said "1 enclosure, all the tones" or something like that.

+1 for neunaber and I don't even play P&W! ;)

7thString

I don't either, probably the polar opposite haha. But after looking at the neunaber, is it like the TC electronic, where you can download any preset to it? (not necessarily through phone/pickups). I saw a review where it said "1 enclosure, all the tones" or something like that.
It is similar but I believe you need to connect it to a computer rather than the 'beaming' technology of the TC.

That's what I was thinking. I think it's just the stereo that are the switchable tones tho, and the one for sale near me is mono. But still, that wet sounds good

It is similar but I believe you need to connect it to a computer rather than the 'beaming' technology of the TC.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom