Strymon Brigadier - Tap

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by scottrolf, Mar 25, 2015.

1. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

After reading the limited amount of instructions and watching the YouTube vids on this, it would appear that the "TAP" button does not function like a traditional Tap Tempo. Is that correct?

2. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Member

No, it's not correct. The only thing that it's not clearly stated is that the range of the tempo is limited by the position of the toggle-switch (short / medium / long). The position of this toggle affects most of the other knobs's functions and it's crucial in order to understand this pedal.

3. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

I guess what I'm saying is, you don't tap out the tempo using the TAP button like you normally would on, let's say, a Boss pedal.

4. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

Is there a really good online tutorial on this? So far I have yet to run across one. "Tips and Tricks" in other words.

5. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I tap out the tempo like I do on every other tap pedal I've ever played. That said, the list of tap pedals I've played does not include anything from Boss. -E

6. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Member

Maybe it's better to start by describing to us how you are using the TAP on your Boss pedal. We may be able to help you better with your question.

7. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

I'm using the BOSS pedal only as an example of how any Tap Tempo pedal is used. You "tap" the switch/button/pedal in time to how you want the Repeats to act.

The Strymon, from what I can determine, does not operate that way. You set the "time" with the "Time" knob in conjunction with the three-position micro "Tap" switch. Then, push the "TAP' button to set it.
    At least that's what it looks like.

8. musicwack

musicwack Member

I use to the own the Brigadier V1. Tap it like any other tap tempo pedal, to the downbeat. However, I did find myself not syncing up to the beat at times due to the feel of the v1 hard switches. No issues with tapping with my el capistan and timeline (soft switches).

Also, It's not clear in the description of the pedal that when you use the tap tempo on the brigadier while playing, that you actually hear that warping sound of the repeats when the time changes, similar sound if you were to manually adjust the time knob. Maybe those are the issues you may be experiencing?

9. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Member

No, this is not what it means.

You can either set the the tempo by using he "Time knob" or "Tap button".

The mini-toggles are modes on the delay time range (how much dBucket are used)

Short - 40ms to 400 ms
    Medium - 100ms to 1000ms
    Long - 500ms to 5s

This is in the manual: http://www.strymon.net/wp-content/uploads/Brigadier_UserManual.pdf

Hope this helps.

10. jordanky

jordanky Member

I just had a brand new Brigadier temporarily and while it sounded absolutely phenomenal, I could NOT get it tapped in properly. Even tried tapping directly in against a mereonome and it seemed to always run a bit faster. This was within the bounds of all the positions on the switch as well. Bumme, because I was completely in love with how it sounded. It went back and I'm now on my third El Cap, never an issue with that one!

11. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

Are you sure you had the tap mini switch set to quarter? Because if it's on dot or triplets then whatever you you tap in is always gonna be faster than what you expect.

12. jordanky

jordanky Member

Yep, I set up the subdivision switch accordingly. It seemed like it was always just a couple of BPM's quicker.

13. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

Thanks. Yes, I finally figured this out.
    The tempo at which you tap the beats out is limited to where the toggle is set on the Mode. I found a YouTube vid that explained it.
    The manual and even the Tech guy at Strymon didn't make this clear to me.

14. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

Third El Cap? What happened to the first two?

15. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Member

This is the one and only reason I've gotten rid of the Brigadier. I had the first batch when it was released and used it for almost a year. Even the hard foot-switch and cutting out when tapping didn't bother me before ... this definitely did. Unsolicited advice: Diamond Memory Lane Jr :aok

16. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

I think the switch must have been updated because mine (new) is exactly like my El Cap which is very smooth.

17. The Doctor Dances

The Doctor Dances Member

I also have had issues with tapping in the tempo of my Brigadier. Has anyone found a solution? It is such an amazing pedal, it would be such a pity to back-bench it due to this issue!