• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Strymon Compadre - What’s the verdict?

KingsXJJ

Hi all,

Owners and folks who tried the Compadre what is your opinion? I am seriously considering getting one for use with the Iridium.

How did/do you use it? How are the boosts and drive? Compressor? There’s s not many reviews and I’d like opinions please.

Thank you!

Frank67

For me: great, huge step up from the OB.1. the Studio Mode is nice and subtle, the squish mode is really squishing, the booster are all good and I really like that they have a dirty boost mode. Well done Strymon! The only thing is that I may have wanted a bit more control over attack, release and ratio. But it is all tastefully balanced IMHO.

KingsXJJ

For me: great, huge step up from the OB.1. the Studio Mode is nice and subtle, the squish mode is really squishing, the booster are all good and I really like that they have a dirty boost mode. Well done Strymon! The only thing is that I may have wanted a bit more control over attack, release and ratio. But it is all tastefully balanced IMHO.
Thank you! That’s very helpful. What do you use it with? How would you characterize the dirty boost in tone and color?

Frank67

Thank you! That’s very helpful. What do you use it with? How would you characterize the dirty boost in tone and color?
I have a board with Strymon small pedals that I use for jamming, practicing and recording demos. There is a Riverside, Iridium, El Cap, Flint and a Digitech Trio+ and some more.

The dirty boost is mild and it changes depending on the mini toggle (flat, mid or treble). It is very nice for kicking an overdriven sound up a few notches.

Mick_Braun

Gold Supporting Member
I picked one up. I like Strymon stuff a lot -- have the DIG, El Cap and Flint, so I was super curious.

I play at home only these days and I typically have a compressor on at all times. In this case, the studio setting on the Compadre works well, with the ability to get more squish with the squeeze setting.

I don't really "need" the boost side but I've discovered some nice tones when using both sides together. I'm in the process of putting a large board together and I'm still trying to figure out if I can replace a drive or boost pedal (e.g. I like klones a lot, using an Archer now) with the boost options on the Compadre.

Wj73

Silver Supporting Member
Has anyone replaced more well known drive or boost pedals with the compadre? Thinking of pairing this with the iridium to give the round channel something extra. And I like compressors.

Reactions: trl

trl

Silver Supporting Member
I’m also curious about this, I think I need to just pull the trigger. I use a xotic ep booster and rc booster and I'm wondering if I can replace one or both with a compadre.

Wj73

Silver Supporting Member
I’m also curious about this, I think I need to just pull the trigger. I use a xotic ep booster and rc booster and I'm wondering if I can replace one or both with a compadre.
Yup. Weighing my boost options here, waiting for some feedback. I know compressor pedals aren't that sexy but hoping someone has tested this out.

Mick_Braun

Gold Supporting Member
It could probably take the place of an RC, but keep in mind no EQ just clean or dirty. So far I dig the full range clean the best. The dirty sounds pretty good pushing other OD pedals. Haven’t found any use for the treble boost settings. Overall a very cool pedal, I really dig the comp settings and the boost side is a nice bonus. But I don’t think I’m gonna ditch my klone.

A-Mags

Silver Supporting Member
Question from a compressor noob:

Strymon also markets the Compadre as a noise gate. How does that work...I’ve only known compressors to add some noise. Is it if you put it towards the end of the chain? Now sure how the noise gate would make any difference if you place it at the beginning of the signal chain like a traditional compressor.

trl

Silver Supporting Member
Question from a compressor noob:

Strymon also markets the Compadre as a noise gate. How does that work...I’ve only known compressors to add some noise. Is it if you put it towards the end of the chain? Now sure how the noise gate would make any difference if you place it at the beginning of the signal chain like a traditional compressor.

Defo correct me if I'm wrong but I think there are only noise gates on sunset/riverside. The only place I am seeing "noise gate" show up on marketing materials is in Europe. The manual doesn't mention anything about noise gate either. I am wondering if low noise got translated as noise gate.

The Killing Joke

Gold Supporting Member
How does this compare to the original compressor and boost? This has more eq But is it vastly different in performance. Is it much different than say a Harlow sans the obvious 2 independent option?

.adamo

Also interested in this thread... looking for a first in chain fattener, enhancer, subtle compression/sustain, boost to body up the raw guitar signal and push a strong voice through my pedalboard. Have been using a Euphoria clean and loud but my main drive is a Polaris and the Euphoria doesn't stack well into the Polaris imo. I also have DSP stuff that can't handle charge pumps and SO MANY of these first in chain comps/boosts/preamps have charge pumps (was gonna snag a Harlow, but it has one, too). Compadre is one of the few I'm finding that's a comp/boost without the charge pump architecture.

tl;dr is Compadre the "always on," first gain stage sweetener, fattener, enhancer I'm looking for?

KNR

I have it on my board first, then into a Sunset ,then other dirt etc. I've only used it on studio and it's pretty great. I use this board with acoustic and electric and never really change settings on the Compadre. I forget I have it on all the time and it doesn't affect my dirty electric tones at all other than they sound fuller.

I've only used the clean boost, flat, as a volume boost. Also works great. It replaced a Keeley comp +. I like it so much more than that pedal.

It does not have a noise gate, but the Sunset does.

Trending Topics