Strymon Deco...First Impressions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Angle Loss, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Member

I received my Deco today about 8:15 in the morning and got to play it for about 20 minutes.

Good:
    -Great tape flanging. Very natural like on my favorite classic rock records. Changing between Sum and Invert of course will get you different shades of positive or negative phase flanging. If you are into regular flangers, you will miss the regeneration knob, but this is totally about the old school Beatles and Hendrix sounds...although easier to coax the Beatles sounds so far. It has been only 20 minutes, mind you.
    -Delay and other effects sound nice...mainly bought it to be a flanger.
    -Very bouncy slap back and I usually don't like slap back, but this is the best I've heard.
    -Turn the Blend knob all the way up with some Wobble for tape/vinyl warping effects.

Bad:
    -The Saturation side. :( I'm pretty tech savy and have built numerous pedals and amps and fixed to many things to remember, but I'm honestly wondering about the saturation side on my pedal. I tried different guitars and cables quickly, but there is barely any effect at all. With single coils I barely have any saturation even with the saturation all the way up. The volume knob doesn't go to zero like most overdrives. If I use my compressor to boost the Saturation side, I get some overdrive, but without it is totally useless. The knobs have a range and seem to functioning (turning up both turns up the volume and a little saturation), but even with humbuckers I'm not getting anywhere the drive or cool tone of the videos. Very disappointed!

I have recorded to tape and understand what the effect supposed to be (and would love to have the effect on the video), and I really roll my eyes a lot when the first thing people say is that you have a defective unit...most of the time it is user ignorance/error. I have a busy day and a half, so unfortunately I won't get to deal with it now.

***Please Deco owners, let me know your experience with the Saturation side. Is mine not functioning as it should? (It would seem so, since it does not at all match the videos.) I'm wondering if the pedal in the videos is overdrive an amp or whatever they use to record. I'm starting to wonder if the flange is worth the scratch. If mine is functioning as normal, it is pretty disappointing to half of a pedal be so useless. I thought I'd be able to use it as a low-medium gain drive or booster between my drives and ambient effects.

2. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

3. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

Perhaps they tried to pedalise one of these very subtle "saturation" VST plugin algos like the URS saturation, magneto etc...

:dunno

4. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Member

I know it supposed to be a subtle effect...but this is ridiculously subtle! I was using Suhr and Tom Short vintage style single coils plus a Seymour '59 w/ an Alnico 8 magnet. I couldn't get the drive levels on the video.

5. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

anything off on the secondary controls that would cause that? that's discouraging if the tape saturation is barely influential, but it makes no sense as the demo is quite apparent in demonstrating its core objective.

6. jurfin

jurfin Member

this seems pretty strange to me. i could definitely see them having subtle flavors available, but i would be really surprised if that were the only thing on tap. the deco's copy states the gain range of the knob, with, IIRC, a medium gain overdrive when the knob is cranked...

i would email the strymon guys if they don't chime in on this thread.

hope you get it sorted out man!

EDIT: their copy actually says "transparent tape overdrive."

hmmmmmmmmmm.

7. capt4inslow

capt4inslow Member

When I tried it out (albeit not a full production model), it got plenty saturated as I cranked the knob. Would definitely reach out to them.

8. flantrax

flantrax Supporting Member

Mines out for delivery...I'll report back after I fire it up...

9. jurfin

jurfin Member

upon closer inspection of the saturation demo video - do you play really lightly? i could see how someone who only picks lightly might want more drive from it, as it seems to be a really touch-sensitive dynamic sort-of-thing.

10. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Member

I'm writing an email right now to Strymon. Thanks for your comments and help. I do have a light touch, but I smacked the strings with my humbucker and didn't get much drive. I know my rig is functioning correctly and bypassed my board and plugged straight into the pedal, changed cables, etc to trouble shoot. It is definitely either 1) a barely perceivable effect and that in the videos the pedal is overdriving an amp (or recording device), or 2) I've got a defective pedal in some way, just on the Saturation side.

I've got a Timeline, BigSky, Flint, Deco, and have had a Brigadier, BlueSky, Mobius, plus Damage Control Timelines. I'd be a poster child for being a total Strymon Fanboy and have a lot of experience with their pedals. It is the ONLY company I buy a new pedal from, lol. And again, the flanging is awesome.

11. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

Go ahead and get this all Beta tested for us, all of you that couldn't wait and just HAD to one of the first to get it......I'll check out V2.

12. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

Wow. :confused: Did you start your day with a turd sandwich or something?

Mike McDonald likes this.
  13. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The slapback is what I'm really excited about. I do have an El Capistan - I wonder how their respective slapback effects differ and / or one is better?

14. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

Thanks. I'm mostly interested in the slapback, longer delay tones, and saturation. Looking forward to reviews and y'all keep me in mind if you decide to sell!

15. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

I can test this out myself monday (yay). Honestly, I make drive pedals and fuzzes so I really don't care too much about the saturation side but I also have a VERY heavy attack to my playing so that will surely make a difference.

16. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Only one repeat vs. the usual number of repeats on El Capistan - according to the Strymon guy on one of the other Deco threads.

From what I've gathered so far, Deco does not emulate a tape echo (eg. Roland RE-301, vintage Echoplex, etc.) while El Capistan does. What it emulates instead is a studio reel-to-reel, which is different.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  17. flantrax

I just re-watched the saturation demo video and noticed that in the maximum drive examples the volume was also cranked...so there's probably some amp OD as a result...I'll know for sure soon when mine shows up later today...I'll report back with some more info...

18. la noise

la noise Member

If that is the case, then isn't that a bit deceptive on the part of Strymon???

:huh

19. flantrax

I don't know if I'd go that far...it's all speculation until a bunch of guys get theirs and implement them into their respective rigs...I kind of think it's cool they showed how it could push an amp as well(if that was the case in the demo)...I expect mine pretty soon and will post how it works in my set up...really looking forward to running it through it's paces...

20. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

Interesting....that would be a deal breaker for me. I wanted to use the saturation side as an OD for my clean amp. I understand that's not the intent, but that's how I would use it.