Strymon Deco on the used market = missing in action

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KissTone, Apr 6, 2015.

1. KissTone

KissTone Supporting Member

I had a Deco, sold it, then realized that I probably should have kept it. So, I've been watching for one to show up on the used market. But surprisingly, they aren't popping up. None on Reverb. None on the 'bay. Just one on the emporium.

What's your theory? People don't want to part with them, are they not selling that well in the first place, or has Strymon not made enough to satisfy the market?

2. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

I personally just don't think the pedal caught on that well... cool idea, but most people aren't looking for that.

3. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I'm guessing most people that bought them have kept them so far. If you appreciate what it does, it's a great pedal.

4. Nystuss

Nystuss Member

I've been looking for one too, but it's looking more and more like I'm going to have to buy one new. It's probably because a lot of people don't really understand what it does, so only people who understand and appreciate it are buying it. And they aren't selling.

5. KissTone

KissTone Supporting Member

I'm wondering if that's the case as well. It's a pretty subtle and specific type of pedal; I don't know how else to describe it. A lot of what it does isn't designed to even be noticeable until you turn it off and then think, "Hey, what's different with my sound?"

A little boost, a little compression, slight flanging/chorusing---just generally a studio engineer 'sweetening' your sound. Compared to a more 'obvious' effect (like fuzz, or delay, or phase, etc.) the Deco might seem like a lot of money for a no-so-obvious change in tone when you step on the switch.

6. warren3333

warren3333 Gold Supporting Member

I tried one and really struggled to see or hear what it really did... Maybe it was just me...

7. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Probably my favorite pedal I played at NAMM. Can't believe I haven't bought one yet.

8. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I have one that I'm not willing to part with :) It's probably not the biggest selling pedal they have, but since it fills a niche, it's not going to get resold as much as delays, reverbs, etc. "I have a new delay, I might as well sell my old one" would be much more common than, "I have new Tape Saturation and Double Tracker pedal, might as well sell the old one".

And those who don't understand what it does and who would sell it probably aren't buying it in the first place.

9. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

I think it's a very cool pedal and I have no intention of selling mine.

10. Catch

Catch Analog>Digital Converter

I recently purchased the Deco and it is no doubt a keeper. As stated above it does so many things well including sweeten your sound. I have enjoyed placing it after my El Cap to change its tonal character and add presence. It is a very noticeable effect.

Plus, it works well before a combo amp (Carr Viceroy in my case) as well as my AxeFX II. I haven't tried it post everything but pre recording interface, that is the next experiment.

It is another homerun for Strymon. The negativity here about it is really more about feeding the trolls and less about the pedal...

11. onwingsoflead

onwingsoflead Member

There was one on GC.com yesterday

12. High Pedality

High Pedality Member

I've had mine since December. An absolute keeper. Covers dirt, modulation and time based. What's not to love?

13. rck

rck Supporting Member

one aspect about it that might be another contributing factor, is how deep the pedal is and how many ways it can be used. I just tried it for the first time in Wide Stereo mode after having it since initial release, then theres the Double Deco mode and of course the standard Mono mode....haven't even tried it yet on other instruments besides guitar.

14. rufe

rufe Member

Some combo of this and not selling as well. I think the general consumer passed on it, as it's a very specific pedal that I don't think many people will just casually pickup. The people who did pick it up knew exactly what they were getting, and have no plans on selling it.

15. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

The ten people that bought one seem to be happy with it......

16. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

lol

17. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Supporting Member

I think there was a run of people buying them when it first released and soon thereafter many were on the emporium. For those who need what it does, I can't seem them selling it as it's definitely unique. I just didn't need it...

18. Ardour

Ardour Supporting Member

At first, it was a pain to locate new. Then I got lucky with a fluke local used sale. This is a truly awesome pedal that can do way more than you think it can. Yes, it can seem subtle at first, if you set it that way. Fact is, there is a lot of tweaking that can be done and I just tried the double deco trs y cable trick. Amazing. So: tape saturation, double tracking, chorus, variable soft touch flange, short tape echo type repeats, longer repeats, infinite repeats, tape saturation that can be a boost all the way to almost fuzz/distortion. Maybe not all of that is the best of its type, but this box does more than subtle and beautiful tape saturation. That said, it is annoying to get to Strymon dealers. I'd never sell mine unless I had to.

19. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Me too, I guess. Its a very subtle pedal.. I think thats perhaps why I like it.

It replaced a Mini Vent.. several times ive wished that I didnt sell it and replace it w the Deco.. it was an incredible Leslie sounding pedal.

But, I keep it around. Maybe that answers the OP's Q

20. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

I played one (via pedalgenie rental). It's a one trick pony as far as I'm concerned. I absolutely LOVED the through-zero flange. Such a cool effect that I haven't heard executed in that way on any other pedal.

* The chorus sucks
    * The slapback is cool, but you can get something VERY close on tons of other delays
    * The saturation was blah - basically just a boost flavor pedal

I could see it being useful if you are going for a super minimalist board and use it for your boost, delay, chorus, and flange, but I think most people would not be happy with this pedal for their boost, delay, or chorus, since the version of these on deco is super minimalist. Or if you have to have every cool pedal on the block.

Can't see it being useful for most people.

Thanks said, the through zero flange was badass.

PS: I'm not a strymon hater! I've got the Mobius and El Capistan on my board!