Strymon El Capistan Head Room ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by moore-fiend, Jan 17, 2015.

1. moore-fiend

moore-fiend Member

Hi everyone..........I am struggling finding a delay that works with an OD in front of it. I currently have an AM DD-3 and have recently tried the Providence delay. Both of these when driven with an OD result in distorted artifacts. The DD-3 is better but still has the issue.

SG-Junior into a Jetter Gold 45/100...then into the delay.

How is the Strymon?

TY-MF

2. fuzzfoot

fuzzfoot Supporting Member

The El Cap didn't have anywhere near enough headroom for me, but I use a lot of boosts and clean boosts, which really drive the signal. I find that most 9v delays don't have enough headroom for my rig. YMMV.

3. tashiattack

tashiattack Member

I agree that most 9v delays don't have enough headroom. However, I've had the opposite experience with the El Cap. I found that the secondary bias knob (i.e headroom knob) and the boost really helps. I never get lost in the mix and I use quite a bit of dirt before it.

But yeah, YMMV.

OP, what amp(s) are you using?

4. nateco

nateco Member

I think they actually published the spec for headroom somewhere, some like 20db....I could be misremembering.

For a digital pedal, I haven't found anything better for headroom before sounding bad.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  5. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

strymon pedals have insane headroom, like +8dbu.

6. moore-fiend

moore-fiend Member

I use an Allen Old Flame-clean blackface tone.......

7. Catch

Catch Analog>Digital Converter

Ummm, Strymon delays can handle line level input. It should have plenty of headroom. I run a Skreddy P19 (with the signal boosted generally by a Diamond Comp beforehand) into an El Cap before my amp/preamps and have never had anything other than awesome tone...

For the record, I also use a blueSky, Timeline and BigSky in the loop of my AxeFX II--the signal is line level and I have all the headroom I need.

8. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

The El Cap's bias control distorts the signal and intentionally lowers the headroom like what happens when you put a tape delay preamp out of bias. But generally Strymon is super high headroom, but some of their delays do engineer the headroom out of the algorithms.