Strymon el Capistan - mess with your sound? (Sound comparison on page 4)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by katarzis, Apr 10, 2011.

1. katarzis

katarzis Member

Anyone else noticed the el Capistan brighten up the sound and cut some of the mid when engaged?
    I had this weird expirience and wanted to know if it's just me or not.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Yes badly , all the Strymon pedals seam to do this .
    I'm glad you said this as everyone acts like I'm mad when I say it.

TheWayfarer84 likes this.
  3. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

I won't disagree or agree with this, as I've never used anything Strymon before but it seems like OP's issue is more delay related. Too many repeats/too much delay in the mix will castrate your tone and make it sound bright and buried.

4. mesfigas

mesfigas Member

yep el cap makes my guitar thinner...so i return it back.

5. snouter

snouter Member

Works excellently here!

joealba likes this.
  6. monk

monk Member

No problem with mine. Did you try the TB or non TB setting?

7. katarzis

katarzis Member

It is noticiable also when the mix is on 0, so the delay repeats doesn't have to do nothing with this.

8. Catch

Catch Analog>Digital Converter

I've not noticed a negative sound/tone effect from any of my three Strymons: El Capistan, blueSky Reverb, and Lex.

My Lex is the newest. I notice a slight volume drop when I use the preamp drive at higher levels so last night I used the secondary boost feature and everything sounds great (sounded great before, just better now).

The El Capistan has the Boost/Cut feature too, more volume may help with your tonal needs. Though I will admit, I bought my El Caspistan because of the tonal changes that can happen with tape delays. I went looking for a different sound altogether and found it. The El Capistan can be very transparent but also very dark. It is very flexible and sits extremely well in the mix in a live setting.

abby_normal and hippieboy like this.
  9. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

+1. Have you tried changing the bypass?

stevenlaumer likes this.
  10. FAC

FAC Member

All I can figure is it must be rig-dependent...I don't hear a change with my rig (and I have passed on other pedals that did what you describe with my rig).

You probably already know this, so I apologize if it is redundant...is your setup entirely true bypass? If so, it will get brighter when you engage the El Cap, as your signal is converted from high to low impedance (pretty much all pedals will do this) and a brighter sound can have the effect of making the mids sound reduced.

11. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Member

Mine sounds amazing. No problems.

12. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

No change in tone for me either. At all. Not even a little.

My theory is that:

1) People who hear no change have a buffer in front or are running the pedal in buffered mode.

2) People who hear a change have no buffered pedals before the El Cap and are running it in true bypass mode.

I don't think you're mad, Eagle, but when I asked you about buffers and such in the last thread, you told me what amp you're using (?) which has nothing to do with anything.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  13. sutherland

sutherland Member

Yup, pretty much it...

I hear absolutely no change and am running a Boss TU-3 in front (grant it, it's probably not the greatest buffer...but it's doing the job).

stevenlaumer likes this.
  14. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

I told you what I was using (no buffer.)

15. lloyd17

lloyd17 Member

Yesterday I spent a part of my playing time running my Ge Fuzz Face into a TB looper with the El Cap [in buffered/trails mode] in the loop. There was zero change between the direct signal and the buffered El Cap signal whether or not the Fuzz Face was on. YMMV, but I'd check out the rest of your chain.

16. duende

duende Member

I really liked the ElCap... Especially the sound on sound looping ability. The design, functionality, and customer service is top notch!

But ultimately, I felt it didn't mix well with my dry signal. I kept spending too much time changing mix levels.

I agree it is rig dependent.

I'm now playing with a flashback. So far so good, but only time will tell.

17. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Sorry, it was a 2 part question and you must have missed half of it: are you using a buffer before or after (answered), AND are you running the pedal in true bypass or buffered mode (unanswered)?

18. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

I don't hear any change that isn't meant to be there, given that it's MEANT to make your guitar sound like it's running through a tape echo. People used to run their guitar through their tape echo's just for the slight effect the pre-amp had on their sound, with no repeats or delay present. But even so, I don't think Ive ever noticed it doing what you're saying. I notice no substantial, unpleasant change in my tone. On the other hand, a lot of people say certain pedals do certain things to their tone when they have some tone suckage issues, such as high capacitance cables or lack of buffers. I lot of people think the WER reverb is too bright but most of the time its probably just because their setup was too bright to compensate for loss of end. Then the WET is engaged and removes the load, and you finally hear all that high end come back into play and it makes the reverb seem like it's bright. Anyway, I'm getting off track, but no, I don't hear any undesired changes to my tone. Most of these problems can be fixed with a good buffer or two. Using the El Cap in trails mode might help, but on the other hand, the buffer is just made to carry out the trails, and the El Cap buffer isn't necessarily a great buffer designed to be the sole buffer in your chain making everything better. It seems to work okay though.

cobras likes this.
  19. Zach.drummond

Zach.drummond Member

I have a friend that sold his cos it muddied up his sound. Not brightened it up.

20. 10strings

10strings Member

I wonder if that's why JMM's Guitarist James Duke took of his El Capistan? Love the guys at Strymon and own their BSR which works awesome and doesn't seem to change the tone... Love the Glass Nexus from Dc too... Not a knock on Strymon, I am just curious.