Strymon el Capistan - mess with your sound? (Sound comparison on page 4)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by katarzis, Apr 10, 2011.

1. 66Park

66Park Member

I've run my El Capistan in front of my amp, in the effects loop, in true bypass mode, and in buffered mode. I've run it with an external buffer before it, after it, and both before and after it. I've run it with no buffers in line as well, and I haven't experienced it changing the sound of my guitar in any of these circumstances.

2. tashiattack

tashiattack Member

I've noticed no sound change in my set up. I use the buffered mode, and turn up the boost just a slight bit so it cuts through the mix a bit better. Not sure if this makes a difference, but I don't use the reverb in it anymore and turn it all the way to 0.

3. sick1982

sick1982 Member

If a signal is brighter and perceived as having less mids: your signal is just suffering from LESS degradation. In this case: either the effect or buffer is probably on, lowering the load on your pickups.

stevenlaumer likes this.
  4. DeleriumTrigger

DeleriumTrigger Member

I am running no buffered pedals w/pedal in TB mode and do hear the every so slightest change that the OP is describing. I don't mind it, just chiming in to add some info there. You may be onto something.

5. popinvasion

popinvasion Member

I notice absolutely no change at all in any circumstance.

6. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

Are you the kind of person that would complain about the tonal affect a real echoplex would have on your signal?

7. lloyd17

lloyd17 Member

Place a buffer before the El Cap in your current setup and see if that fixes your tone change. What you guys are describing sounds a lot more like the problems associated with longer cable/TB chains and less like a suspect bypass on the El Cap.

The explanation on the Wet Reverb site is dead on in my experience. Your unbuffered TB chain rolls off highs and humps the high-mids, so you flatten the mids and bump the treble on your amp. Kick on any pedal and your chain is no longer unbuffered, the highs come back and the mids flatten out and everything sounds harsh and brittle.

8. teleclem

teleclem Member

Care to post clips of how it affects your tone?

I haven't noticed anything unpleasant that it did.

9. jw112

jw112 Member

same here but I kept mine. I just put it in a loop. I noticed it when bypassed too. I've been meaning to post about this but had not got around to it. It's very noticeable to me

10. katarzis

katarzis Member

when i use the el Capistan with my pedal board i hear no difference, but that's because it is running after a buffered pedal. When i use it with only one tru bypass pedal i hear the difference.

11. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

It seems if you put this pedal in a simple small rig that runs few FX all true bypass the tone change may be thinned and unacceptable .

12. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

No issue with mine and I am very picky. I use mine in the tube buffered loop of my Carol Ann OD2.

13. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Can you get a level because it has no line~Instrument level switch and I want the loop running at Line level.

14. Ekluksdahl

Ekluksdahl Member

I'm actually running my el cap in my effects loops, I don't notice anything at all that colors my tone. Could be how I have it set too....

15. seiko

seiko Member

Yeah, if I recall correctly that sounds exactly like what a real EP3 does to your signal (all the time).

16. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

I think your confusion comes from talking about buffered pedals vs a buffered loop. I hear this confusion a lot.

He meant buffered pedals NOT buffered loop. Clearly the loop should be low impedance buffered on the send side and have a high impedance return too....but that wasn't what he was asking you.

17. tibbon

tibbon Member

For some reason when I turn mine on it seems to make multiple copies of the guitar, but played later. This really bothers me and I wish it would just sound the same as when bypassed.

18. BiNGEaNiNjA

BiNGEaNiNjA Member

:agree Strymon needs to fix this.

thepilgrimsdream likes this.
  19. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Member

this thread is started to become full of smart a$$es

to the OP ... I didn't notice this when I had mine. But like others, I had a buffer already on the board so that could be it.

20. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

I know and I said in the front end NO BUFFER and it sounds thin and digital .