Strymon el Capistan - mess with your sound? (Sound comparison on page 4)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by katarzis, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Billion81

Billion81 It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did. Gold Supporting Member

I can get wacky, negative effect from many of my pedals without the buffer in front.

Damn- get a friggin' boss tuner, get your power buffered and get back your tone.
    Stupid is as stupid does. This guy has complained elsewhere and been given sound guidance on what to do- yet this cat still wants to grind is axe in a public forum- Those that try to help are likely frustrated.

what's that saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

2. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Member

fair enough ... didn't know about the other threads

3. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

My Timefactor has no issues and is far more use , particularly in the loop.

cobras likes this.
  4. Led Sabblin

Led Sabblin Member

so for fx loops the first pedal from the send should be buffered if it has a low input impedance like a deluxe memory man, and going back to the return should have a high output impedance?

5. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

FWIW, this is what I'm hearing...

Did a quick clip...I'm playing once clean, and once with a Basic Audio Muff. Same passage 2x, 1st with the El Cap off, 2nd with the El Cap on (mix to zero). I run my El Cap in TB mode. I have a buffer (Morley Bad Horsie) several pedals up in the chain, and I have a Mollon Signal Boost (another buffered when off pedal) at the end of the chain, several pedals after the El Cap.

http://www.bentox.com/elcaponoff.mp3

Sorry about the dog collar in the background- her ears are bothering her today apparently. Now my ears may not be as good as the dog's, but I don't hear a difference.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  6. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Me either. But I'm going to run this test on my rig.

7. katarzis

katarzis Member

Me either, but i can clearly hear the diference with my rig (strat - strymon - amp) espacially in the in between pickup position.

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Could you set the pedal to its 'buffered' mode instead of running it in true bypass mode? And then adjust your mids and treble on the amp to taste?

9. Comfortableman

Comfortableman Member

I could also hear a difference in tone. Both in buffered and in bypass mode. Drove me mad. I took out every other pedal in the chain and ran guitar-el cap-amp and found that the El Cap indeed changed my clean tone. Tried it every way possible (in front of my amp) and couldn´t get rid of it. The tone was somehow thinner with the El Capistan in the chain.

I even tried some nice quality buffers before and after the Cap, but still there was a change in tone for the worse.

I thought I was mad and borrowed a True Bypass switch and ran the El Cap through it, to see if the change in tone wasn´t just in my head. But no, the Capistan made my guitar sound thin. I also borrowed some other true bypass delays and had the same experience. The Cap changed the tone (in off mode and without "trails") and some of the other pedals did too (the Carbon copy for example). Some pedals did not.

Anyhoo, this was something that I found frustrating and I sold the pedal. Twice. It was just easier than to get a pair of new ears and a new rig.:hide

10. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Totally agree.

11. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I wonder why such a small number of people are noticing this; or if those who did got it from a certain batch or something.

I did a quick search in the monster thread of El Capistan reviews here:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=760530

... for the word 'thin'; nothing found. And the word 'digital' - nothing negative in regard to the word. Nice clips in that thread too ;)

Has anyone with the issue contacted Strymon too see if they can help or address your concerns?

12. katarzis

katarzis Member

13. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Member

listening to this, it sounds like it's losing some of the low-end that's why it sounds somewhat brighter ... especially between 00:23 - 00:32. but it could be just my ear ;)

14. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

15. 66Park

66Park Member

16. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Neither does mine! In his clip I don't hear any bass loss, but definitely some added presence and clarity. Which may be the El Cap's buffer restoring the natural high end that he's missing due to cable capacitance.

Let me repost my comparison right here for people who only jump to the last page of threads (this is page 2 to me, BTW):

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  17. katarzis

katarzis Member

OK, so we agree there's no difference when there is a buffer in the chain, but there is a difference when the setup is true bypass. Right?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  18. katarzis

katarzis Member

The difference is not in buffered/unbuffered mod - its when the pedal is on and is the chain is buffered or not. Wow... this is hard to explain when your english is "not so good" :).

19. FAC

FAC Member

I believe Ben C has mentioned this several times, but I would guess what you're hearing is the return of clarity via the buffer when the pedal is engaged, which has the effect of sounding brighter vs. the true bypass chain in bypass...a consequence that you apparently find displeasing.

I would argue this is not limited to the Strymon El Cap...most if not all pedals will do this when engaged (see post #49).

For example, I have a Red Witch Moon Phaser...when I was running a true bypass chain, it really brightened up my tone when I engaged it, to the point that I never used it. I thought it was just that pedal, but when I added a strategically placed buffer after my drive pedals but before modulation, I didn't notice the jump in brightness anymore, and now it is my favorite phaser. This is what buffers do...it is not systemic to Strymon.

20. katarzis

katarzis Member

I don't remember any of other delays i had doing this.