Strymon el Capistan - mess with your sound? (Sound comparison on page 4)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by katarzis, Apr 10, 2011.

1. FAC

FAC Member

Was that before or after the Gear Page?!

edit: and I do mean this tongue in cheek! I know my listening has become more critical since I joined and things that I didn't worry about before seem important to me now.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  2. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Your English is perfect - no worries!
    And yes, I would think that's the issue you're having. NOW - what you can do if you don't have a buffer is to set the El Capistan to buffered mode:

"Tip: Hold the bypass footswitch
    during power up to change the bypass mode to
    analog bypass with trails (delay persist)."

Then you should hear no difference with it on or off, and tweak your amp to remove some of the presence if you wish or bump up the mids a touch. Let me know how that goes...

3. katarzis

katarzis Member

Already tried this... Dosen't help...

4. JZWest

JZWest Member

i've never heard any difference with any of the amps i've used, so this morning i tried listening with headphones through a 1 meg di and then a 500k input. i could not hear any difference. even cranked up the gain to listen to the single coil noise and still no difference

i used a strat, straight into the El Cap, then to the di.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  5. HugalosPizza

HugalosPizza Member

Probably not the best post for this thread but I have to do it. Is anybody else sick to death of hearing about Strymon as if they invented sliced bread?

6. 66Park

66Park Member

Wait...you mean they didn't? Seriously, you don't have to read the threads.

7. cajone5

cajone5 Some guy Silver Supporting Member

I had the el cap and the bluesky and couldn't bond with either due to a change in tone with them in the chain. Tried them true bypass and buffered and no luck fixing it...

For the record I purchased the El cap with the first batch and the bluesky at the same time. I wonder if anything changed since then? I think in general they weren't for me anyway... the pedals sounded nice but too pristine for me. Each was fantastic (other than the bypass issue), just not what I was looking for. Anyway, that's just my two cents...

8. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Didn't hear the any difference in Ben's clip but WOW did I hear it in the 2nd clip.

Testing mine right now.....

ElCap in TB mode, buffer in front, mix at 0.... no tone change.

ElCap in TB mode, NO buffer in chain, just guitar->ElCap->amp... no tone change.

I don't use the ElCaps buffer, I don't need "trails persist."

I'm starting to wonder if there's a "bad batch" of ElCaps out there...?

9. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

It's usually me that says that sort of thing.:p

10. strymon

strymon Gold Supporting Member

Hi Guys,

This sounds like it could be a classic issue with true bypass. True bypass is great because nothing in the pedal is touching your signal when it's disengaged, however true bypass is not without it's own set of issues. What is actually happening is that your high impedance guitar signal is being loaded by cables, or something else in the chain when the pedal is in BYPASS. So, as a result, when you're bypassed you are actually cutting some highs. Then when you engage El Capistan you run through it's buffer and get the highs back. The analog dry path of El Capistan has flat frequency response and consequently doesn't add any treble. Powering up while holding the bypass footswitch will toggle between true bypass and analog buffered bypass. Also make sure that the +/-3dB boost/cut is set to unity (12 o'clock.) Try switching to buffered bypass and the symptom will most likely disappear.

True bypass has been written about extensively elsewhere so I won't go into more detail here.
    Analogman touched on it in a 2 part PG article in 2008:
    http://digital.premierguitar.com/premierguitar/200810/?fm=2#pg59
    Pete Cornish goes so far as to not recommend true bypass:
    http://www.petecornish.co.uk/case_against_true_bypass.html

True bypass can be a nice feature in pedals. One just has to be careful to understand the advantages & disadvantages that come with it.

If you think you may still have an issue with your pedal we are always happy to take a look back here at our engineering office.

Hope that helps to clear things up!
    Terry

earwax likes this.
  11. popinvasion

popinvasion Member

I agree with Terry completely. Its your signal chain, and then you click on the great buffer when activating the el cap, thus returning a buffer signal that restores the highs.

That is why I run a few buffered pedals in my chain, all true bypass sucks.

vibrostrat43 likes this.
  12. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

But that wouldn't explain why in my test, with the EC in TB mode, the tone did not change in either instance... with a buffer before EC, or with NO buffer at all.

Unless the guy is running 50ft cables or something...

13. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

Hey katarzis, was the mix button set to zero when you switched El Cap on ? Just trying to compare oranges with oranges...

14. teleclem

teleclem Member

This makes a lot of sense.

If this isn't the cause of the problem, maybe something's wrong with the unit?

15. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Sounds like there's alot of capacitance going on, either in his cables or his guitar.

16. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

No change here either. But adjusting the Tape Age knob brightens or darkens the repeats... FWIW I am a MAJOR Strymon fan... I dig the El Cap, the Blue Sky, and just got the Orbit this week. So far so good!

17. MHermans

MHermans Member

I haven't had any problems. In fact, I have a hard time turning the damn thing off. My favorite pedal ever.

18. katarzis

katarzis Member

Hi Terry, thanks for the reply.
    What you wrote makes sense but, how do you explain the fact that the sound of the guitar straight to the amp is much closer (if not the same) to the sound when the setup is: guitar - el capistan (bypassed) - amp?
    The original sound doesn't have that much highs as when i engage the el capistan. Just a thought - could it be the 240V we have here in Israel?
    Thanks.

19. teleclem

teleclem Member

Fwiw, we also have that here in the Philippines. I don't notice the changes mentioned earlier. But then there are other variables as well.

20. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

I'm in the UK 240V (meant to be 230V but if you measure it it is still 240V)
    All strymon pedals sound this way to me.