Strymon el Capistan - mess with your sound? (Sound comparison on page 4)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by katarzis, Apr 10, 2011.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

When you plug the guitar into the Capistan then into the amp... how many total feet (or meters if you're metric over there in Israel) of cable do you have?

Then, when you plug the guitar straight into the amp- one cable, no pedal- how many feet/meters?

2. katarzis

katarzis Member

Guitar - 3 feet cable - el Capistan - 3 feet cable - amp

3. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

hmm... cable capacitance shouldn't be an issue then. UNLESS one of the cables is bad... I had this happen to me recently. One if my 18 inch cables (that I use to go from one side of the board to the other, and then from the board to my amp), was KILLING my sound, making it sound dead.... I replaced it, and all is back to normal. It wasn't crackling or making any noises, no symptoms of a cable being bad, but I could tell something was wrong with the tone, and figured out it was that ONE cable. If one of those cables is bad, or maybe just poor quality (has alot of capacitance), that would be the problem.

4. katarzis

katarzis Member

Tried different cables, all cabels are fine. Its the pedal. period. My amp doesnt sound that bright when plugged direct.

5. BiNGEaNiNjA

BiNGEaNiNjA Member

If you roll your volume back to 7-8 do the highs return like with the El Cap, and when you use El Cap's buffer is there less of a change in signal when you roll the volume back?

6. katarzis

katarzis Member

Just wanted to point out that i tried a bufferd pedal in front of the el Capistan and there was no change in tone.
    Still it's weird that there is a change of tone when it is just the el capistan because it is Too bright and nothing like the original sound.

7. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Well then, I guess it's time to send it back to Strymon for warranty repair.

8. JZWest

JZWest Member

all this talk made me nervous, so i went back to check the tone in various configurations, and i still can't hear any difference, which is great. if there were any problems i would have been all over this pedal like fur on a weasel.

what stands out for me is that there is a lot to like about the El Cap

cobras likes this.
  9. Jules

Jules Member

With your sister somewhere you wouldn't like
    I have two Strymons on my board - a Blue Sky and and El Capistan. There is no difference in tone for me between having either or both of them on or off. I'm running seven pedals in total and have a buffer halfway in my chain.

10. strymon

strymon Gold Supporting Member

It's very possible also that the input impedance of your amp is loading down your pickups slightly. What type of amplifier is it and do you have a different amp to try?

Terry

11. katarzis

katarzis Member

It's JTM45 RI. The only one i have at the moment.

12. jw112

jw112 Member

13. glblues

glblues Member

happens for me too.
    also for my vanamps reverb too.
    all i have are 6 ft guitar cables x 2

14. jb1911

jb1911 Member

'62 AVRI Strat > El Cap > '66 Princeton Reverb. No change in tone.

15. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Good thing this thread shows you how to solve the issue.

16. sl33py

sl33py Supporting Member

So what was the upshot of this thread? Any actual causes found for the tonal differences where people found them?

17. Classic09

Classic09 Member

I have to report that my El Capistan messes with my tone, whether in TBP or Buffered mode. I have also noticed the Retro-Sonic Chorus does a similar thing, too. What I hadn't figured into the equation was that I run two other TBP pedals ahead of these two:

Guitar -> 10' cable -> wah -> tuner -> El Cap -> 15' cable ->amp

I'll see what happens when a buffered pedal is added into the mix beforehand.

18. chops612

chops612 Member

I don't know if this has been mentioned on the past 7 peges, but I don't have the time to look for it. All you are hearing is the natural rolloff of your guitars higher frequencies due to cable capacitance, then turning on the El Cap with the Mix at ZERO is just engaging the buffer. As we know, some buffers have some different qualities to them, but in this case it just sounds like a buffer being switched on and off. Add another buffer in front of it and you won't hear a difference anymore.

I get how this could be a pain in a small true bypass setup where clean tones were used a lot, but that just kinda the deal. The three options there would be...

1. Put a buffer anywhere before that meets your preference

2. Put the Cap in buffered mode, so you don't need a separate buffer.

3. If you really love your tone that much with that much capacitance... deal with it as most fx are doing this when turned on, some less/more than others, but not all have a mix knob for comparisons sake.

thepilgrimsdream and Wagster like this.
  19. tubetonez

tubetonez Member

I had read the Pete Cornish article linked above years ago, but didn't remember this part:

Really like this comment:

20. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Damn.. this is the same thing I have been saying about the hall of fame reverb and peeps thought I was crazy.

This was touched on briefly here http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1083363&page=2

Sometimes it is a tru bypass/buffer issue... but sometimes it is the actual tone/eq of the buffer itself ( in the pedal of question )

Its like comparing a vht valvulator to a access bs-2.. they are both buffers but the bs-2 has this high fidelity high end.. very musical ( on my bass board ) and the vht sounds more natural and has a touch of niceness/complexity added to the mids. ( on my guitar board )

Im hoping in an expectant hopeful way that the Timeline I ordered is much better than the flashback/hof in this area.

Last edited: May 22, 2012