Strymon el Capistan - mess with your sound? (Sound comparison on page 4)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by katarzis, Apr 10, 2011.

1. kingnimrod

kingnimrod Member

I bought the El Capistan to MAKE MY TONE SOUND DESTROYED, so I don't care one way or the other. Yesterday I was running my Instant Lo-Fi Junky into it to make it sound even "worse."

Love it.

FWIW I returned the Boss RE-20 a while back because the delayed signal sounded thin. The Cap is super lush.

2. Classic09

Classic09 Member

Well, I tried the buffer before the El Capistan and it appears to have worked. I won't know for certain until I use my live rig but it certainly sounded better with a buffer up front and also in buffered mode.

Trouble is, I'm running pretty light on pedals because that's how I Rock n Roll so I'm back to my Peterson Strobostomp2 in buffered mode. I was using the Turbo Tuner.

3. Hairpin Turns

Hairpin Turns Member

Yeah me too. The el cap messes with my tone in the best possible way.

thepilgrimsdream likes this.
  4. Ryan84

Ryan84 Member

Gotta dig deep to find any criticism on Strymon. "You want the truth? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!" It will take the next time I'm in NYC to find a store that has any. To finally get to try a Capistan and Flint out for myself.

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Good call!

Also (I think I mentioned this WAY back in this thread...maybe) folks ought to mention whether they have the pedal on input, or in the effects loop.

Amp effects loops, mostly, are essentially buffered. Also it is not the weak guitar signal anymore it is boosted (voltage) at that point. There it has been my experience (AS FAR AS I CAN TELL...keep in mind. I'd have to AB it to be sure. Set up a looper with at least two loops, one with the El Cap, the other with the same type of cable, same length as the sum of the two feeding the El Cap, switch back and forth with eyes closed, not knowing which was which, and see what I end up on...several times. If I can't hear a diff, OR it's a split how many times I think El Cap or the other loop is "best", then I know it isn't messing with tone) that I can't hear a diff.

6. steelerboy329

steelerboy329 Member

So, would running a buffer AFTER the El Cap (in TB mode) work just like having one before the El Cap?

7. theroan

theroan Member

I thought it sounded better with the pedal engaged lol.

8. cobras

cobras Member

I have the elcap,timefactor,brigadier all on my board and i love all for different reasons ,as i read these post i am a little confused to me an effect is used to effect your sound if you dont like to effect your sound dont use effects,i'm not trying to be cute I'm just saying.

9. tobereleased

tobereleased Member

If you're confused, probably better to let this discussion lie - it's over two years old anyway ;)

JrB and rhoydotp like this.
  10. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

All the new pedals Strymon make do it too, I can't use them with this issue. In some rigs it is not as noticeable but digital fake sheen is not a tone I want in my dry eq every time a pedal is on.

11. Dr Slapstick

Dr Slapstick Member

If you have a buffer in front of it (at any point in the signal chain) and use the true bypass setting on the pedal, it's got Analogue Dry through - it's literally not touching your dry tone at all.

If you care to A/B record it and blind test it you won't be able to tell a difference (because there is none). If you don't like the way the repeats sound, that's fine, but it's not affecting your dry tone if you do it right...

nkt275 likes this.
  12. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Member

I agree with you but I just want to say that I found this really funny ... reminded me of the iPhone death grip! :p

[​IMG]

Dr Slapstick likes this.
  13. nkt275

nkt275 Member

Zombie thread! No problems with my El Cap, sounds great

14. Z Tone

Z Tone Member

No problems here. Mine sounds amazing!

15. Dr Slapstick

Dr Slapstick Member

Touche haha

16. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

It's quite an engineering feat to take a completely analog path and give it a digital sheen that only selective people can hear. They must know some tricks.

17. Hcklr

Hcklr Silver Supporting Member

Me too.

18. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

I know it has a dry through but the tone changes when you turn it on . It is just not nice, gone back to Lexicon.

19. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Silver Supporting Member

This is not in an effort to encourage you to like or love the el Cap, but to help others who may now be following along in this ZOMBIE THREAD, Question: did you ever try it in buffer mode, If just for experimentation?

While not with my El Cap, I have purchased a pedal or two along my journey that I noticed a different Tone when engaged; perhaps better described as if it was unintentionally sculpting the EQ when it should have remained more neutral. After some time working through the situation, what I came to learn: with so many 'True Bypass' Pedals in my chain and no Buffer, my signal/tone loss just running through the pedal board was significant enough that when I engaged various pedals, it would in fact act like a buffer and restore my tone but I was so use to this "rich" & "darker" base tone that, to my ears, the tone became brighter (some might interpret as thinner). What I did was to plug my guitar straight into the Amp and I was certainly surprised to noticed how much Tone I was actually losing when running through just 8 pedals; to the point that what I once thought as "rich" or "meatier" was actually more dull and lacking life (highs). I now keep my Barber Tone Press on all the Time (mild compression), not only to tighten up the signal a bit but also to act as a buffer --> if off, I immediately here some of my highs restored when I turn it back on. I run the El Cap, the Flint, and the H9 all in Buffer/Trails mode as well. I then went back and tested/compared the guitar straight into Amp and, then through the pedalboard with all effects (except for compressor) off. I am now very content that there is no discernible difference between the tone. With the effects engaged, the EQ Voice of the original signal - if desired - remains rather neutral through the chain.

jbxenon likes this.
  20. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Yes obviously!!
    Tried it in every iteration with many amps and from on its own to in full rigs and it always altered the tone.
    Better with the buffer but still not good for me.