Strymon El Capistan & Pettyjohn Predrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Melldo, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Melldo

Melldo Member

So I have a Pettyjohn Predrive and am about to pull the trigger on an El Cap. Only thing is I've read that Strymon pedals can hum a bit with high voltage pedals in front of them. The Predrive is powered on 18V, am I likely to experience problems? Anyone here use both already?

2. Zack.LW

Zack.LW Member

I don't know if it's the same concept but I have a jhs superbolt that converts 9V to 18V and have two strymon pedals downstream. No problems with it at all.

3. Judas68fr

Judas68fr Member

I have an 18V volt Wampler Pinnacle in front of a Strymon Flint and no hum.

4. minty901

minty901 Member

It only happens if the pedal internally increases the voltage with a charge pump. If your pedal simply accepts a high voltage at input then it should be fine. Also the problems have mostly only been reported for the big box pedals like Timeline and Mobius (though it could occur on others).

5. Stephen Pettyjohn

Stephen Pettyjohn Member

The PreDrive doesnt have a charge pump, should be fine!

6. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

I'm running two 18V pedals in front of my Strymon pedals with no issue. Should be fine

7. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

I've used full voltage tube pedals (Effectrode Blackbird & EHX English Muff'n) running in front and it's quiet. They run on big 12v wall worts.

8. 7thString

7thString Member

Its the charge pump that causes issues. (ie 9v supply, 18v internal headroom) Pedals powered with an 18v external supply shouldn't be a problem, and usually only an issue with klons and klones placed right before a timeline or mobius IIRC

9. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Supporting Member

What about a klone in front of the amp and a Timeline or Mobius in the amps loop?