• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Strymon El Capistan vs Trex Replica

Jeremy A

Ok so I'm looking for a tape delay to pair with my Diamond MLJr. I use the MLJr for rhythmic delay and ambiance. I want another delay that would pair nicely with it. I want it to fill up my sound and give a beautiful ambient texture to it. Also to stack with the MLJr for rhythmic delays. I know the El Cap has way more functionality, but does it have better tone too? I don't need presets, and I already have a stereo wet reverb. So what would you guys recommend?

JesterR

I have El Cap and TC Vintage delay, which is same thing as Replica, as I know.
I am using El Cap with all "lo-fi parameters" parameters at minimum, except a little wow and flutter. TC sounds a little more open and glassy (I am using single coil), and I love it. Also, Tap tempo works better, then on my El Cap. I do not know why, but that's it. However, I prefer El Cap, because I love, that it has trails and I am using oscillations a lot.

MikeTz

I'd consider the Empress Tape Delay, I sold my ML Jr. for one and while I don't regret it, I'm thinking of getting one again whilst keep the Empress. Both are stellar delays that do their own thing, the Empress (IMO) does the Tape sound beautifully and perfectly.

shigihara

Do you have some info about it? I've searched about it and found some confirmations from TC Elcetronic guys.

do a 'one vs. the other' listening test and you'll hear the difference,
no matter what anyone (mainly the TC people...) said.
I also read that the differences might be because of variations in the tolerance of components, which I personally don't believe...
The more interesting question is: Does the 'new' Replica w/metal mini switches sound differently than the 'old' one w/plastic mini knobs ? :tapedshut

alanbass1

My two favourite delays are the Replica and the hand wired version of the Mad professor Deep Blue Delay. They both just sound 'right' in the mix.

Yossi

I was shopping for a replacement for my Strymon Timeline and was even thinking about getting an expensive Fulltone Tube Tape Delay, but wound up ordering the T-Rex replica. I should have it in a few days.

mr_william

sorry to divert the topic - but i was under the impression that the older t-rex pedals were the same as the tc electronic vintage series.

vintage distortion - mudhoney
vintage overdrive - alberta
vintage delay - replica
vintage tube primer - moller

the layout is identical and apparently the guts are the same too? just different housings.

dB

Silver Supporting Member
At this point you might as well wait a couple more weeks for the Catalinbread Belle Epoch to be released.

Jeremy A

Ok guys so basically both pedals sound amazing, but are the El Cap's functions worth it to get it over the Replica? What would be some pros and cons of getting both? Which one would pair nicer with the MLJr?

robin taylor

I didn't care for the Replica at all. I would buy the El Capistan again. Pros and cons? The El Capistan is cheaper, has more functions (for example this really good sounding spring reverb and the looper feature) and you can store a single preset. It sounds great too.

A-Mags

Silver Supporting Member
I didn't care for the Replica at all. I would buy the El Capistan again. Pros and cons? The El Capistan is cheaper, has more functions (for example this really good sounding spring reverb and the looper feature) and you can store a single preset. It sounds great too.

What about it made you not care for it? What kind of music do you play?

Top Bottom