• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Strymon Favorite Mode: Could be better for gigging...

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
EDIT: Turns out this was user error on my part, but utilizing the Favorite mode is still cumbersome for live use IMO due to the multiple steps of adjustment and saving required.

I'm not new to Strymon, but with the Riverside I am new to having one with a Favorite button. I must say that I am surprised at how frustratingly basic the favorite mode works, given how high-tech their pedals are...

When saving a Favorite, it saves the current position of all knobs every time (Edit: Not true!). If one has two very different sounds between normal and favorite modes, changing even one parameter (like say, increasing the volume) requires a redo of all knobs for both modes! First, one must got to Favorite mode and then dial in every knob to the current parameter (Strymon helps with this by changing the LED to green when you're on the right value), and then make the required tweak. Push and hold to save. Then, one must go back to normal mode and redo all of the knobs to where they were before! (with no green LED help in normal mode)

I guess I assumed the Favorite mode would remember all parameters other than the newly adjusted one, so if it was just a simple volume tweak, all you'd have to do is tweak the volume knob back to where it was in normal mode. That's not so bad, unless you're making multiple adjustments on different knobs. This makes on-stage adjustments all but impossible; imagine the surprise when playing live on the Favorite mode, you bend down and give yourself more volume, press and hold to save...and then realize that you saved the normal mode's sound to your favorite, just with more volume! Previous Favorite mode is now gone!

On a drive pedal, this could be a deal breaker for me, as I need to be able to adjust tone and volume to fit the room on a gig, often on the fly. I am surprised and disappointed that a company like Strymon would implement their dual-mode function so poorly.

Last edited:

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
mark the pedal with tape or marker like the rest of us do. dealbreaker solved.
Yes, really the only solution for those of us without a photographic memory haha. Shame that I would have to mark up the face of an expensive pedal for such basic functionality.

You haven't dealt with an expression pedal and Timeline/Mobius/BigSky yet, do you?
Had a Mobius, but no have never used an expression pedal...

strymonhugo

I'm not new to Strymon, but with the Riverside I am new to having one with a Favorite button. I must say that I am surprised at how frustratingly basic the favorite mode works, given how high-tech their pedals are...

When saving a Favorite, it saves the current position of all knobs every time. If one has two very different sounds between normal and favorite modes, changing even one parameter (like say, increasing the volume) requires a redo of all knobs for both modes! First, one must got to Favorite mode and then dial in every knob to the current parameter (Strymon helps with this by changing the LED to green when you're on the right value), and then make the required tweak. Push and hold to save. Then, one must go back to normal mode and redo all of the knobs to where they were before! (with no green LED help in normal mode)

I guess I assumed the Favorite mode would remember all parameters other than the newly adjusted one, so if it was just a simple volume tweak, all you'd have to do is tweak the volume knob back to where it was in normal mode. That's not so bad, unless you're making multiple adjustments on different knobs. This makes on-stage adjustments all but impossible; imagine the surprise when playing live on the Favorite mode, you bend down and give yourself more volume, press and hold to save...and then realize that you saved the normal mode's sound to your favorite, just with more volume! Previous Favorite mode is now gone!

On a drive pedal, this could be a deal breaker for me, as I need to be able to adjust tone and volume to fit the room on a gig, often on the fly. I am surprised and disappointed that a company like Strymon would implement their dual-mode function so poorly.
On the new Riverside pedal, when adjusting a single parameter while your Favorite preset is recalled, re-saving the Favorite by pressing and holding down the FAVORITE switch for a few seconds will only store the change made to the existing Favorite setting. This allows you to adjust and save a single toggle switch or knob change for your Favorite preset without having to dial in all the other parameters of the Favorite setting. This has been the functionality on all of our smaller pedals with Favorite capability.

Also, if you DO need to dial in the existing preset, moving the knobs and switches while the Favorite is active will change the RED LED to GREEN when the knob or switch is moved to the position of the current Favorite.

Last edited:

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
On the new Riverside pedal, we implemented a new feature so that when adjusting a single parameter while your Favorite preset is recalled, re-saving the Favorite by pressing and holding down the FAVORITE switch for a few seconds will only store the change made to the existing Favorite setting. This allows you to adjust and save a single toggle switch or knob change for your Favorite preset without having to dial in all the other parameters of the Favorite setting. Also, if you DO need to dial in the existing preset, moving the knobs and switches while the Favorite is active will change the RED LED to GREEN when the knob or switch is moved to the position of the current Favorite.
I will try again, but I seem to recall noticing this because I did a change on my high-gain favorite, saved it, and the save made it my low gain normal sound. EDIT: Oh I see, you're saying if only *one* parameter is changed? I probably did more than one...

Indeed I mentioned the red/green LED's in my initial post, it would be helpful if this was implemented for the normal mode also, when trying to get back to that sound after numerous changes made to the favorite. Thanks!

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
The best solution IMO would be LED markers around the knobs, which display the correct value regardless of mode. A man can dream haha

strymonhugo

I will try again, but I seem to recall noticing this because I did a change on my high-gain favorite, saved it, and the save made it my low gain normal sound. EDIT: Oh I see, you're saying if only *one* parameter is changed? I probably did more than one...
Any knobs and/or toggle switches you adjust will be altered when you save these changed to your Favorite preset. All others that were not adjusted are not changed for the saved preset. Also, after you make these changes, you would need to dial you manual/non-Favorite setting back the way you had it.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
So, user error then...
It seems so, I'll take the egg on my face knowing the functionality is better than I thought. I will change the thread title also. Interestingly, I did a search on this before posting, and a TGP thread came up discussing this in relation to the Blue Sky, with the same complaint. That's actually what prompted me to post this. Looking back I think I wasn't being fastidious enough with setting the normal mode back the way it was every time. Again, I would suggest Strymon implement the "green LED" function for the normal mode as well...

If you're going to dream, then might as well go for motorized knobs!
Heck yeah!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom