Strymon Favorite Switch DIY

LITHIUM

Hi ! I’m trying to make one of them but it doesn’t work... no light on the LED nor switching preset... I found this schematic and tried to adapt it with my components (I have a 2PDT « x-wing » switch and I’m not sure about the wiring).

Here is the schematic :

Then my situation with th xwing Switch :

Thanks for any help !

lwatford

Supporting Member
Couple of questions that might sound dumb...

Is it a latching switch?
Using a TRS cable?
Is the pedal set to use the exp jack as favorite?

What you’ve done looks right otherwise.

analogmike

Gold Supporting Member
Vendor
Looks ok, as lwatford mentioned you need to use a TRS (stereo) cable.

LITHIUM

Couple of questions that might sound dumb...

Is it a latching switch?
Using a TRS cable?
Is the pedal set to use the exp jack as favorite?

What you’ve done looks right otherwise.
> This is the switch I used : https://www.musikding.de/2PDT-foots...FMVkbASAUiuha6xkH5GXa_EENncOjNo1Lo-oS8Ip14PIw
> I tried my clone with the cable of my other Strymon Favorite Switch (which is the official version) I'm currently using with my Flint. Needless to say I first tested with the other switch on my El Cap and it did work (light+preset).
> It works with my official switch I'm using with the Flint

If the schematic is ok, must be a soldering problem... I'll try to give you a shot of my "work".

MIM#1

Same here, anybody see a problem with mine? I'm using the coda FX diagram.
The only difference is I'm using one side of a dpdt switch. It also seems wierd that the resistor comes off of the negative side of the led instead of the +. But thats how the diagram is drawn.
Q: Is it a latching switch? A: Yes
Q: Using a TRS cable? A: Yes
Q: Is the pedal set to use the exp jack as favorite? A: Yes

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

coltonius

Señor Member
Silver Supporting Member
Same here, anybody see a problem with mine? I'm using the coda FX diagram.
The only difference is I'm using one side of a dpdt switch. It also seems wierd that the resistor comes off of the negative side of the led instead of the +. But thats how the diagram is drawn.
Q: Is it a latching switch? A: Yes
Q: Using a TRS cable? A: Yes
Q: Is the pedal set to use the exp jack as favorite? A: Yes

Any suggestions?

You need to transfer all of those connections on the jack to the lugs on the opposite side. You've soldered to the shorting side (the side that's only connected when nothing is plugged into the jack), so the connection is actually broken when you insert a plug and restored when you remove it.

MIM#1

Thanks! well I flipped the footswitch around and tried the other 3 lugs. Nothing, no led. Then I tried swapping the wires on the two outside lugs to see if it was a polarity thing. Still nothing. Maybe this footswitch isnt going to work?
I really dont want to buy a favorite switch when I have all the parts here. Any ideas?

Last edited:

MIM#1

Ok, its working! It was the wrong lugs on the Jack! I must be getting dislexic, you wrote jack and I was thinking footswitch.
Anyway, what should have been a 5 minute build took waaaay too long...:D

coltonius

Señor Member
Silver Supporting Member
Ok, its working! It was the wrong lugs on the Jack! I must be getting dislexic, you wrote jack and I was thinking footswitch.
Anyway, what should have been a 5 minute build took waaaay too long...:D
You’ll never make the same mistake again though. ;)

Trending Topics