Strymon Flint altering tone when in chain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JonD123, Jan 10, 2019.

1. JonD123

JonD123 Member

Hi. I got to try the Flint yesterday very briefly with the intention of purchasing it. I’m almost certain in altered (took off some top end) off of my tone even when it wasn’t switched on. Am I imaging this? Is this just with this reverb pedal? If so, I maybe won’t purchase it after all.
    Just looking a really nice hall type sound.
    Thanks

2. TakisMasterKey

TakisMasterKey Member

Maybe the unit currently is in buffered bypass (with trails). When powering up, hold down the reverb bypass switch to change it to true bypass (and vice versa)

Abram4235 and deadletteroffice like this.
  3. JonD123

JonD123 Member

Oh, I wasn’t aware of this.
    Has anyone else noticed this? Thanks

4. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

I knew it could do buffered and true bypass. I always ran mine buffered so I could have trails, and I never noticed a change in the tone when it was in my rig. If it is something quite noticeable, I would suggest it's not right as I don't think I have seen anyone else mention this on here.

djangobanjo, Flatscan and delay dude like this.
  5. JonD123

JonD123 Member

Ok thanks. So everyone agrees that the Flint doesn’t change/slightly darken your tone if in your chain ? Thanks.

6. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

Adding anything to your chain can change your tone. It might be the buffer in the pedal(which can be turned off) or the extra cable or a crappy cable etc.

Flatscan and stickyFingerz like this.
  7. petty1818

petty1818 Member

You are not the first to notice/mention this about the Flint. I am not sure why but the Flint seems to be the only Strymon pedal where this complaint comes up. I did notice a bit of tonal change when I owned one. I didn't find it darkened the tone, just thinned it out.

dirtytony likes this.
  8. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

Don’t notice any with mine. I actually hooked up a loop pedal with my pedal board in a loop so I could check for tone loss across my whole board and I couldn’t hear any difference with the loop on or off honestly. All pedals were True Bypassed then. I now run my Flint on buffered bypass for the trails and while I haven’t repeated that test since I didn’t notice any change when I switched to buffered bypass.

9. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

It could be the additional cabling your using that's darkening your tone. When you turn it on, it's buffering. If it's set to true-bypass, there's no buffer to drive the extra cabling, so you can lose top end.

I think some of the "sheen" and "thinning" people hear in Strymon pedals is actually a properly buffered signal, so it seems brighter when it's turned on.

Befuddled and Flatscan like this.
  10. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

If you put a buffer in-line, I bet the issue goes away.

I run a buffer in the loop with my Flint for this reason

11. JonD123

JonD123 Member

Hi all. Thanks for input. I’m gonna get to try pedal again in Sunday , so will check the inbuilt buffer which I was nt aware of. If it still changes my tone (to my ear) I’ll maybe consider another reverb pedal instead. Will update

12. ianblond

ianblond Member

Comparing Flint to Topanga i have chosen Topanga.Flint was a bit sterile and less dimensional.Topanga has fantastic buffer/boost.I strongly recommend.

13. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

If mine is altering the sound/tone it's not in a bad way that I mind. But it is usually left on.

14. JonD123

JonD123 Member

Thanks. Only tried the Flint briefly so far , but liked it, though If it was a little on the dark side. The only reverb I really need is a good hall sound... not needing a spring reverb , so think he topanga prob isn’t for me

15. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

I have 3 Strymon pedals (DIG, El Cap, Flint), all of them add a little bit of treble/presence when I experimented with them (I use only TB pedals) in buffered bypass.
    Unfortunately it was a bit cumulative: using all the 3 together with a strat and a marshall plexi was a bit too much treble, nothing to worry as increasing Bass restored my favourite tone (have to admit that I use on purpose long cables: 10m from gtr to pedalboard and 10m from pedalboard to amp).

16. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Run it in true bypass.

I did however do a test with the Flint versus a few other reverbs and the Flint does (when it's on) change the tone up a bit. It shaves off a bit of the high end and changes the dynamics a slight bit. I'm cool with this though as it's a great sounding unit and honestly is more than acceptable... even to my ears!

Ahhh the days of dinking' with shooting out stuff like this. You can really chase your own tail. I ended up with the fact that I use mine mostly live and find it indispensable for it's trem and reverb tones. It's waaaay more helpful and a useful tool that something that's robbing me of any tone!

Oh and the other reverbs I shot out were:
    - Subdecay Super Spring Theory (in room mode set ala Mike Landau)
    - EBS Dynaverb both bass and guitar version (original bass version was the clear winner of them all)
    - Neunaber Immerse (awful bypass)
    - Neunable WET Hard Bypass or whatever they call their version of True Bypass (TONE SUCK!)
    - Mr. Black Supermoon (One of the better ones, right under the Dynaverb. It did add a touch of noise and was a little brighter.... but very natural)

I'm sure there are more and those are just the small box verbs... none of the big box ones.

Short story version? If you like the Flint and it's functionality and tone when it's on... set it for true bypass and play!

17. JonD123

JonD123 Member

Hi all. Just to update, as good a pedal as it is, I’ve decided I’m gonna probably get the Red Panda Context, Walrus Audio fathom or the DigiTech. Don’t need crazy sounds or spring reverb, just natural plate or hall that hopefully doesn’t alter tone.
    For a cheap trem I’ve just ordered the Mooer to get me going with trems. (Saw Joey Landreth use it online, so am happy enough with that!)

18. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

I've had the Context (too much pre-delay on the plate algo) and Talisman (noisy in many settings and alters tone).
    I prefer the MXR m300 for Plate and other digital reverb sounds...

Since you're really after Hall and Plate you might look at the Dr. Scientist Reverberator as well (I haven't tried that one but it is focused on plate, hall and room sounds).

IbanezAS200 likes this.
  19. JonD123

JonD123 Member

Ah no, thought the Red Panda is one of the best, from what I’ve heard people saying!
    I’d meant the DigiTech Polora , but yea I’ll look into the Dr Scientest too. Thanks

20. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

I never understand threads like this. Ignoring the fact that the Flint is one of my all-time favorites... so what if it changes your tone ever-so-slightly? Just balance it out another way. Change your amp EQ, brighten up a drive or compressor. Tone is cumulative. And whatever minute change you're hearing probably doesn't matter a bit in context.