Strymon Flint : As good as onboard, tube generated reverb and tremolo?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Haruki, Jan 23, 2020.

Strymon Flint : As good as onboard, tube generated reverb and tremolo?

1. Yes

36 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. No

56 vote(s)
    60.9%
  1. Haruki

Haruki Member

E.g. Onboard, tube generated reverb and tremolo like The '65 Fender Princeton Reverb, '65 Fender Deluxe Reverb, etc.

If your answer is no, please elaborate. Please vote and thanks for stopping by.

Edit/Update:

I guess I should have asked, do you think The Strymon Flint is a tone enhancer; meaning that your guitar's characteristics stay in tact, or is there some tone suck/degradation?

@Borealis It sounds like Flint colored/sucked tone in your setup? :(

With The Princeton Reverb, a (for example) Gretsch G6120 sounds like itself with the reverb engaged, and doesn't sound like a different guitar. To my ears, it sounds better with that tube reverb and not "flat".

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Borealis likes this.
  2. Warkli

Warkli Member

To my ears, tubes make an improvement for crunch and dirt sounds. Also your compression of sound, your attack feeling, and the sound quality in higher volumes is better.

For tremolo and reverb, it's just a different approach to the circuitry, not an improvement. Some may prefer that, and some don't.

ragamuffin, Jess 1971 and Haruki like this.
  3. Demioblue

Demioblue Supporting Member

Yes. I have a 65 Princeton Reverb Reissue. I’ve used this amp and have compared the Flint with it. The Flint is certainly capable of holding its own. Paired with another amp like my Pro Jr, the Flint is definitely able to deliver similar if not the same results with the reverbless and non-trem equipped Pro Jr.

4. chillytc

chillytc Member

Love the Flint - great pedal. But does not have the same sound as a good spring reverb and amp trem to my ears. On the trem side, it can get pretty close to many, but the really great ones like the classic Fenders or more modern amps like the Bad Cat Trem Cat have a 3d throb that I don't quite hear in the Flint - it can be close, though. On the reverb side, there are lots of spring reverb amps that just sound more lively and phycical than the Flint. The trem gets close but the real spring reverb sound it doesn't nail to my ears. Don't get me wrong - it's great, but, especially on the reverb side, it doesn't quite get the spronk thang that a good spring reverb does to my ears.

5. Strumlord

Strumlord Member

I have a Flint and a 1966 Deluxe Reverb and would never confuse the two.

6. Laservampire

Laservampire Member

Can’t vote either way:

Bias trem - as good as any bias amp trem

Opto trem - nothing like a blackface trem

Spring reverb - kinda like fender amp verb, nowhere near as good as the True Spring

Haruki likes this.
  7. JesterR

JesterR Member

Well, it's a digital emultaion. Good? Yes. Just as good as real, analog device, no, like any other modeller.

Haruki likes this.
  8. wetordry

wetordry Member

The spring reverb in the flint sounds as good as some/most spring reverbs I've heard in amps, but amp reverbs vary wildly. None of them sound the same....i like my super reverb's tone better. Some mesa, marshall, peavey etc...not so much.
    But I really like the flint's plate reverb.

I generally like the harmonic tremolo better than my 70's super's tremolo. Matter of opinion and preference.

Flint has great options.

9. Borealis

Borealis Supporting Member

I had a Flint and sold it. The trem was very nice, but I didn't care for the reverb.

Maybe it sounds great in a blackface-voiced amp or it works better in an effects loop, but in front of my BC Audio NO. 7 it colored the tone in a way I didn't like, and I couldn't find a way to dial it in as I wanted with the color knob.

I prefer a one-effect-per-pedal setup. You can get a great reverb and a great tremolo for the price of a Flint.

If authentic spring reverb is your thing, a good tube driven reverb tank - onboard or standalone - will probably be best.

Haruki likes this.
  10. longgonedaddy

longgonedaddy Supporting Member

No. The harmonic trem is amazing, although I’ve never played an amp with it. I really don’t care if it nails it, it just sounds that good. Same with the bias trem, although I’ve played bias amps.

the opto may sound like some unknown to me amp, but it sounds nothing like a blackface to my ears.

Like others have said, the spring is very good, but doesn’t quite get all the way. It’s too clean to my ears.

Borealis, BerkeleyJones and Haruki like this.
  11. Snufkinoob

Snufkinoob Member

I had the Digitech/Hardwire RV-7 and Boss TR-2 at the same time as the Flint and the Flint didn't sound any better. In fact, the reverbs sounded 99% the same.

What the Flint really has going for it is the form factor, and extra options like being able to flip the order etc. If you prefer to run a small, tidy board or just want those effects and don't want to mess with multiple pedals, it's perfect.

I use the Surfy Bear Tremolo which is perfect for genuine fender amp tremolo tones. It's basically the same circuitry without the tubes. I'd never really liked harmonic trem until I started using this one either. It doesn't go super slow or fast but that's a compromise I'm completely fine with.

For reverb, I use the Neunaber Wet, which isn't a specific reverb type, but can be dialled in to approximate different types. I've grown to much prefer this way over a pedal with different modes. As for specific spring, plate etc, I've not tried the Ventris offerings, but I did have the chance to compare the Catalinbread Topanga to an actual outboard spring tank and honestly, at the more subdued, mellow settings I'd forget which I was using without looking. It doesn't have the 'drip' but it nails the 'feel' of a tank, especially at 18v.

Borealis and Haruki like this.
  12. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Unfluencer Gold Supporting Member

The only pedal I’ve had that sounds truly like in-amp reverb is the Van Amps Sole-mate.

pup tentacle and Haruki like this.
  13. AustinIsPresent

AustinIsPresent Member

It's very good, but I found it lacking compared to the onboard unit in my Two Rock. It felt a little lifeless when digging in, like the reverb wasn't responding quite right to my right hand dynamics. The reverb in the TR changes more naturally as you dig in or back off. That said, the Flint is really, really good. It's likely my favorite pedal of its kind, I just accepted that I need an amp with tube reverb and moved on.

Haruki likes this.
  14. stratguy23

stratguy23 Supporting Member

I love the Flint, it’s been on my board for years. However, I got a 1962 Blonde Bandmaster last year, and the Flint’s harmonic trem (while very good) cannot cop the real amp harmonic trem, especially when the depth gets above halfway (the Flint just can’t get as deep of a throb even with max depth). It gets closer on lower depth settings though.

Haruki likes this.
  15. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Silver Supporting Member

Perhaps not directly to answer the OPs question but, to offer a wider perspective to this sort off conversation -- Apologies in advance for this long ramble :)

Some context:
    Had the Flint, loved it, sold it a few years back. Considering what's available to us these days, it is hard to sit still with just one thing when there is so much out there to look at and play around with. With respects to mega-verbs, I had the H9 and recently spent a year with the Ventris. Last Fall, the Ventris was replaced with the Immerse mkII in search of greater simplicity and, this past month, I added the Flint back to my board.

The 'Light-Bulb' Moment thought:
    So often, I catch myself chasing that particular sound; something I've heard on some song, some album, by some artist, or in trying to match some piece of gear I used to own or play around with at the store, etc .. etc .. etc .. Spring Reverb and Tremolo has, probably due to my love for surf music and classic Fender amps, been the subject of many of these epic chases. As the usual cycle goes, I get the new pedal, most often fall in love with the sound because this particular one was so much better than the last and then, inevitably, after some time passes, the magic of the pedal starts to dim, excitement fades, leading me to the obvious conclusion: there must be something better. What's common practice, in reflecting with my time with said pedal, when it first unboxed and plugged in, I crank all the settings to the point that the Reverb is an obvious, in-your-face/ear effect, and proceed to jam out every surf song I know even though I never ever play any of these at my gigs or use reverb had such high levels :) When I return to my normal routine, the reverb levels faded to a more normal natural level AND, it is here that I start to feel 'MEH' or tend to get bothered by some characteristic of the effect that sticks out like a sore thumb.

To that last point and why I shared all of this in the first place ... so very subjective, depending on ones ears, ones setup and surrounding gear selection, the Flint may or maynot sound specifically like a Fender Tube amp reverb and tremolo. Does it successfully, in the ballpark, simulate the general vibe and characteristics? Yes. More specifically, I believe the Flint excels is in the more natural levels of said effects where it sits in the background creating a bit of space where, if one purposely tries, they can then hear the springs rattle a bit in the background (read: not cranked for the Surfy Beach concert- "Where's the Drip" fest) . Certainly, we can still always turn up the effect and get those other types of sounds but ...

As mentioned, I had the Ventris, loved it, and probably two of the best Spring algorithms I have heard to date; had so much fun with it. While there were some other killer features that were more important to me than the spring emulation, after the honeymoon phase was over and I returned to daily practicing and performances, I looked down and saw a very expensive and elaborate piece of gear that wasn't being used to its full worth and capacity so, I replaced it with the Immerse; a pedal that can do the gigantic verb scapes like the best of them but with far more simple controls. This eventually led me back to the Flint to provide those classic and simple verbs and tremolo effects that just work for everyday gigs.

Haruki and Gasp100 like this.
  16. skiltrip

skiltrip Member

I recently got the Flint, and I love it for everything except for the one thing I would have loved it for the most, the 60s Spring. It's just lacking. It's does a very good job of emulating good in-amp reverb, but definitely falls shorts for anything surfy. The tail isn't natural sounding to me. I adore the 70s verb, the 80s verb, and all the Trem sounds. The Tremolo is as good or better than any tremolo I've had in any amp or pedal. I really could use that Flint Tremolo forever and never want to chase another trem sound. But the Flint still leaves me chasing the ultimate spring. I really do have my eyes on a SurfyBear, but my budget and situation pretty much rule that out right now, unless I flipped the Flint, but that leaves me again chasing tremolo and plate and hall. It never ends.

BerkeleyJones and Haruki like this.
  17. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I'm using a Flint in the loop of a Dr. Z Cure where I just wanted amp style reverb and tremolo, nothing more. It sounds great and completes the amp! Other than the harmonic tremolo, I consider it to be kind of a utility pedal rather than the groovyness that I hear in the Catalinbread Topanga and Voodoo Lab Tremolo (the only photocell tremolo pedal I've ever liked).

The harmonic and bias tremolo are the high points. The spring and plate reverbs are good. The photocell tremolo is lousy- it's like they didn't even try to make it sound like the real thing.

But... the reverb and tremolo are nowhere near as nice as my Vibrolux Reverb or Princeton Reverb.

Haruki likes this.
  18. bigben55

bigben55 Member

Having owned my Flint for a while, I'll answer yes and no. I think the tremolo is BETTER. The tube tremolo is my favorite tremolo, period. Amp or pedal. The Harmonic is awesome as well. The opto is good too, but I'll always pick tube trem over opto trem so i rarely use it.

The spring Reverb isnt as good, but it's good, not great. The other 2 are great. The thing with onboard reverb vs ANY pedal Reverb is this: you can set the verb perfectly for clean and with an amp, it's the same when overdriven. With a pedal, hitting that perfectly set verb with an overdrive/boost pedal "gooses it," increasing the level. Yeah, I know, use it in the Fx loop, but I dont have Fx loops on either of my amps and dont prefer them. Some pedals do it more than others, and the Flint handles OD pretty good. But not as good as amp Reverb. That said, Flint verb is more controllable.

Haruki likes this.
  19. Haruki

Haruki Member

Thank you---I appreciate your comments :)

I guess I should have asked, do you think The Strymon Flint is a tone enhancer; meaning that your guitar's characteristics stay in tact, or is there some tone suck/degradation?

@Borealis It sounds like Flint colored/sucked tone in your setup? :(

With The Princeton Reverb, a (for example) Gretsch G6120 sounds like itself with the reverb engaged, and doesn't sound like a different guitar. To my ears, it sounds better with that tube reverb and not "flat".

Borealis likes this.
  20. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

I think the trems stack up to any on-board trems, especially live.

I don't think the spring reverb measures up to a good amp reverb. Fortunately I prefer plate reverb, and the Flint's is excellent.

Haruki likes this.