Strymon Flint. Moog MF Trem. Expression Pedal. Which gets faster?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BrandonAy, Feb 15, 2015.

1. BrandonAy

BrandonAy Member

Expression control over tremolo pedals are the source of my new GAS. I've always had my eye on the Flint, but my positive experience with the MF Ring has me considering the MF Trem, which I know can get pretty damn fast. The EQD Hummingbird may even be faster but the exp. jack is on the side and I have pedalboard real estate concerns.

I can't seem to find any demos of the Flint that show how fast the tremolo can get with an exp. pedal. With the MF Trem, the exp. pedal can go beyond what the knobs can do. Can the Flint do this? Is the Flint with the speed knob all the way clockwise the fastest it'll ever be able to go?

Any words/thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. skunx

skunx Member

MF trem goes so fast that it can be ring mod like. Minifooger ring and trem are a good pairing for wild sounds.

3. rbrmfld

rbrmfld Member

Check out the conductor by matthews effects. It seems awesome to me

4. charley

charley Supporting Member

FYI, I own a Flint. It is an excellent pedal. But, I am in the process of replacing it with a Topanga Reverb and MF Trem. I am a roots music player, so verb and trem are pretty important to me. I just have not found a syrupy pulsing digital trem that I LOVE yet.

If real estate is a concern, the Flint is excellent, and sounds good. Not my favorite Spring Reverb sounds, which is my primary verb for my sound. The Harmonic Trem setting on the Flint is my favorite (paired with the 70's Verb).

5. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I just put up a Moog ep-2 expression pedal on the emporium I used w the Mf trem before I sold it, Fyi. With the taper control rolled all ye way up you can get some crazy sounds.

6. BrandonAy

BrandonAy Member

Nice...

Cool trem. I'll keep an eye on Matthews Effects.

How was the speed?

Already got a exp. pedal, but thanks.

7. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Flint trem does not go fast, it's a very safe sounding trem.

EQD Hummingboard is not a real estate hog, even with the side jack, it's the same size as the Flint (if not smaller).

If you want one that goes fast, has expression controls, and is more tweakable than all of these, go with the Dr Scientist Tremolessence.

8. fahqicehole

fahqicehole Member

While this doesn't directly address your question, I would second the recommendation for the Dr. Scientist Tremolessence. It can go from super slow to speeds that take you into ring mod territory.

It offers a ton of versatility - mono or stereo in & outs, volume control, a wide ranging tone control, hold function, sine & square waves, and the shape control.

You would just have to concede to having the expression pedal jacks on the side. But as a consolation, you get to have two - one for rate and one for depth! You could replace the expression pedals jacks to right angles to save some space.

I am sure the MF trem sounds killer. I often use the slower speed LFO and low frequencies on the Moog MF-102 ring modulator for some killer complex tremolo sounds. I don't think you can ever go wrong using a Moog anything.

9. FuzzFaceJ

FuzzFaceJ Member

I'm not even much of a fan of Trem and I love the MF Trem, it can get very very fast.

10. Los Angeles

Los Angeles Member

If Fast and weird are both things you might be looking for, you should also check out the Earthquaker Devices Hummingbird.

11. BrandonAy

BrandonAy Member

Damn, that Tremolessence is hard to turn down. From the demos I've seen, I think I'm leaning more towards the MF-Trem, but the Tremolessence's ability to control depth with the exp. is killer.