Strymon Flint Users

IamKrisJones

I just bought a used Strymon Flint not too long ago and unfortunately, I find it's sucking tone like crazy. I have tested it by itself using the power supply that comes with it. Going through it makes my tone sound dark but as soon as I remove it my tone is back. I spoke to Strymon and they state that it's not normal and offered to fix it for $75. Before I go that route I wanted to hear your thoughts and experiences with them. I doubt it would be on so many boards if it sucked tone but I wanna be sure before I send it off to Strymon.
Thanks TGP!

Geetar_Will

Silver Supporting Member
I do not experience this, but there has been a lot of discussion about it here on TGP. You might try isolating it between two cables (assuming it's currently on a board with other pedals), checking all outputs, power supply etc... Basically, make sure it's the pedal.

Sometimes cable length can make you lose high end. For example: You plug into your board with two 10 footers on each end and multiple pedals in between - add the flint - hear significant high end loss. You then plug straight into the amp (decreasing cable length by at least half) and hear that treble come back. Just a thought.

GimmeShelter

Silver Supporting Member
Have you tried to use the secondary boost features? Hold both switches and rotate the Intensity/Mix knob (depending on which side is the sucker) up to get a little boost. That helped me.

IamKrisJones

Have you tried to use the secondary boost features? Hold both switches and rotate the Intensity/Mix knob (depending on which side is the sucker) up to get a little boost. That helped me.
Is that not just for when the pedal or effect is engaged? I am mainly concerned for when it's not engaged.

IamKrisJones

I do not experience this, but there has been a lot of discussion about it here on TGP. You might try isolating it between two cables (assuming it's currently on a board with other pedals), checking all outputs, power supply etc... Basically, make sure it's the pedal.

Sometimes cable length can make you lose high end. For example: You plug into your board with two 10 footers on each end and multiple pedals in between - add the flint - hear significant high end loss. You then plug straight into the amp (decreasing cable length by at least half) and hear that treble come back. Just a thought.
Like in a loop you mean? I thought of that but then asked myself. Should a pedal that costs this much do this?!
As for testing it, I have a 15' cable to pedal then 20' cable. When I take it out of the loop in my board my tone is there though all the pedals but when it's there my tone gets dark.
Here is the board for reference. But like I said, I have tested by itself as well.

the tourist

Not with the Flint, but I had a similar issue with a Timeline and BigSky awhile back. Turned out they just did not like the BadCat effects loop. The issue is completely gone running Strymons out front. But it looks like you already are running the Flint out front. Makes me wonder if it really is in disrepair.

IamKrisJones

Not with the Flint, but I had a similar issue with a Timeline and BigSky awhile back. Turned out they just did not like the BadCat effects loop. The issue is completely gone running Strymons out front. But it looks like you already are running the Flint out front. Makes me wonder if it really is in disrepair.
Yes I run all my effects in front. Most my amps are vintage and don't have an effects loop.

jota

Bought new or used?
Strange they offered to fix it for that much money!

dwoverdrive

Silver Supporting Member
I was in the other thread in this. Ive never had this issue with any of their units and I have had nothing but good things to say about my correspondences with them. I've never had any problems with my Strymon stuff.
1. if the pedal was used its hard to know if it was powered properly or was subjected to some damage by the original buyer. Strymon pedals have a lot of secondary features and dip switches. Who knows how they were left
2. There are plenty of people out there who want DSP effects to have a tone suck so they can live in a world where they are right about 60 year old technology being superior in all ways so there's that wrinkle. I'm just prepping the OP for any posts explaining that yes all of these pedals have tone suck because of.....
3. Strymon has always had a non warranty repair fee of $75. To put this in perspective, BOSS charges $40 per hour and a $25 bench fee for non warranted repairs.

IamKrisJones

I was in the other thread in this. Ive never had this issue with any of their units and I have had nothing but good things to say about my correspondences with them. I've never had any problems with my Strymon stuff.
1. if the pedal was used its hard to know if it was powered properly or was subjected to some damage by the original buyer. Strymon pedals have a lot of secondary features and dip switches. Who knows how they were left
2. There are plenty of people out there who want DSP effects to have a tone suck so they can live in a world where they are right about 60 year old technology being superior in all ways so there's that wrinkle. I'm just prepping the OP for any posts explaining that yes all of these pedals have tone suck because of.....
3. Strymon has always had a non warranty repair fee of $75. To put this in perspective, BOSS charges $40 per hour and a $25 bench fee for non warranted repairs.
Correspondence was superb! Nothing to say there. They answered my questions in a reasonable time frame and were very polite.

IamKrisJones

Ok, so performed more tests. Pedal was/is in mono and it doesn't look like it has a reset to factory like some other Strymon products. That said however, I switched my cables around and the tone suck doesn't seem as noticeable. So initially I had a 15' cable from the guitar to the board and then 20-25' to amp. I then used the longer cable from the guitar to board and 15' to amp and to my ears the suck is less noticeable. Am I crazy?

heyrobscott

If you hold the reverb footswitch when you plug in power, it will turn on buffered/trails mode. Regular mode is true bypass with no trails. (You can test by turning up the decay and mix, striking a muted string, then turn reverb off - if it still rings, it's in buffered/trails mode - if the effect dies with the pedal switch, it's true bypass mode).

That buffer on might help push a cleaner signal to your amp over long cable. (Obviously reverb AND tremolo have to be off for true bypass, as engaged is the same as having the buffer on)

IamKrisJones

If you hold the reverb footswitch when you plug in power, it will turn on buffered/trails mode. Regular mode is true bypass with no trails. (You can test by turning up the decay and mix, striking a muted string, then turn reverb off - if it still rings, it's in buffered/trails mode - if the effect dies with the pedal switch, it's true bypass mode).

That buffer on might help push a cleaner signal to your amp over long cable. (Obviously reverb AND tremolo have to be off for true bypass, as engaged is the same as having the buffer on)
Somebody else suggested that as well. Will try that. Thanks!

RAILhead

(real name is Maury, BTW)
You reset by holding both switches down and tuning the main knobs to 12 o'clock -- this will "reset" any cut or boost added.

IamKrisJones

You reset by holding both switches down and tuning the main knobs to 12 o'clock -- this will "reset" any cut or boost added.
Unfortunately, the trails mode didn't change anything. Will reset as instructed to see. Do you know if the DB Boost only works on the effect or does it also affect the dry as well?

IamKrisJones

Just read the manual. Only affects the effects so won't change my issue. I think I might just need a buffer after. Possible? For those who have one on their board. What's your signal chain like?

Aslan

Gold Supporting Member
My Flint works very well with my Fender Tremolux & Cab. I can't hear any "tone suck" , it's just a killer pedal.

Trending Topics