Strymon Generalissimo - 4 Head dTape Echo Prototype

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ThinPaperWings, Apr 22, 2016.

1. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

Has anyone seen this yet?
    http://www.strymon.net/products/generalissimo/

Maybe this should move to the modeling gear thread...it looks like a double 500 series or something. But I figured a lot of people here would be interested.

I, for the record, do like Strymon, but I'm not a sycophant, so I'm not here to drool. But it could be a cool unit and I wonder what this means we have in store in the future.

2. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

There was a bunch of speculation in this thread here:-

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...o-namm-by-the-looks-of-things.1657681/page-17

It's Eurorack module for modular synths, and is a souped up El Cap.

Although you can use Eurorack with guitars it's quite pricey to do so! Think this guy will be $600

3. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

Ah ok. Sorry, missed that.

4. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

So is this supposed to be a Space Echo 201?

5. Modulator

Modulator Member

This is huge!

It looks like it can do things a multihead tape echo can do, but give you access to more under the hood things to patch with other modules to do whatever you can imagine programming in the modular synth. The modular synth community will most likely be all over this as you can send and recieve much more control signals than you can with a pedal. The guitar community, this will not be very useful at all unless you start a modular system with an array of complementary modules. If anyone is thinking about just getting this module, but don't plan on starting a modular, it would be a waste of money and probably up for sale shortly after. My guess is it will cost more than a El Cap pedal, probably around $500, plus a case with power, plus complementary modules, like LFOs, envelopes, envelope followers, comparator to make gates from the followers, filters, etc.

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  6. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

You also need something to convert signal levels because Eurorack modules run at a MUCH higher level than guitars. Much higher than line level even. It sounds like kind of a hassle to me.

7. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

Aye, that's why I was saying it was pricey, as u need not just a Eurorack but guitar specifc modules like the ALM Busy Circuits guy. Not really a guitar option this Strymon - unless you already have a Eurorack setup in your studio of course!

Chandyland likes this.
  8. Modulator

Modulator Member

Euro signals run around +/-10v. Much hotter than guitar/instrument levels, even hotter than line.

Chandyland likes this.
  9. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

I was just having a look at Strymon's offerings as I try and figure out which pedals will do stereo i/o and came across this beast. Apparently it's still in development after their Namm 16 showing but it got me curious so I did a little search and found this thread and a couple others.

Early days in terms of looking but just wondered if there were any other products like the now discontinued Pittsburgh Patch box that can match the levels for guitar usage.

10. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

11. Phase45child

Phase45child Member

Lol I love Strymon, like how they're changing the name because Generalissimo has negative connotations in Spain.

I can't wait for the Strymon Trump to appear at Summer NAMM

12. Modulator

Modulator Member

Orange box surrounded by controversial knobs ready to explode and effect all your neighboring pedals?

13. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

hahahahaha. It is a Eurorack delay for modular synth stuff. A friend of mine was VERY interested as he is heavy into the modular synth world and really enjoyed using some of my other Strymon units. I did hear they changed the name because of that Spain thing. Haven't heard any updates on it but all the things I saw when it was new at NAMM were really cool.

14. Plexiglass

Plexiglass Member

What??? Generalissimo is a term to describe a military rank of the highest degree. It doesn't imply a specific person. WAFJ and WAFJ this world has become in taking offence to everything.

Frankee and drifterphase like this.
  15. Phase45child

Phase45child Member

Francisco Franco. That's why.

16. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Do you Francisco Franco?

17. Plexiglass

Plexiglass Member

They didn't name the pedal Francisco Franco, they named it Generalissimo. Here is what wiki says.

Generalissimo (Italian: Generalissimo [dʒeneraˈlissimo], Spanish: Generalísimo [xeneɾaˈlisimo], Portuguese: Generalíssimo [ʒenɨɾaˈlisimu], Latin: Generalissimus) is a military rank of the highest degree, superior to field marshal and other five-star ranks in the countries where they are used. The word generalissimo is Italian and is the absolute superlative of generale ('general'), thus meaning "the highest-ranking of all generals".

Notable examples of generalissimos include John J. Pershing of the American Expeditionary Forces, [1] Chiang Kai-shek, who was the leader of the Republic of China from 1938 to 1975, [2] Alexander Menshikov of the Russian Imperial Army (1727–1728),[3] Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla of the Revolutionary Army of Mexico (1809–1811),[4] Kim Jong-Il of the Korean People's Army (1991–2011),[5] George Washington of the Continental and United States Armies (1775–1799 and 1798–1799, respectively), [6]Francisco Franco of the Spanish Armed Forces (1939–1975),[7] Maxime Weygand of the French Army (1939), Emilio Aguinaldo of the Philippine Revolutionary Army (1898–1901),[8] Karl Philipp, Prince of Schwarzenberg, and Charles XIV John of Sweden of the Royal Swedish Army (1810–1811).[9]

The word "generalissimo" is an Italian term, from generale, plus the superlative suffix -issimo, itself from Latin -issimus,[10][11][12][13][14] meaning "utmost, to the highest grade".

Historically this rank was given to a military officer leading an entire army or the entire armed forces of a nation, usually only subordinate to the sovereign.[15] Other usage of the rank has been for the commander of the united armies of several allied powers.

18. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

19. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Time to rename Big Muff as Gran Panocha then, or Panochón, add double voltage to 18v for more juice.

Frankee likes this.
  20. Plexiglass

Plexiglass Member

Big Muff=Gran Panocha LOL!

Frankee likes this.