Strymon grounding problem - anyone else?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by randycloud, Feb 9, 2015.

1. randycloud

randycloud Gold Supporting Member

hey guys - I recently added a Timeline and a Bigsky to one of my board and it is giving me fits. It seems that the can't share a power supply with anything else. No matter what I put on a daisy chain with them, I get a horrible, high pitched squeal from the Strymon. They both do it individually and together. I am using a hot spot with a six plug chain. If I use individual hot spots for each Strymon and then a third one for the chain, everything is cool - but I am not dragging around that many plugs.

Anyone else had this issue? Suggestions?

Thanks

Randy

2. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Install an isolated power supply- Voodoo Labs 4x4 would be my number one choice, with the Cioks DC10 as second. This issue is normal, and not isolated to just Strymon, but most high current high power consumption digital effects. Daisy chaining these types of effects always leads to clock noise and other issues. This is precisely why the Strymon pedals ship with their own PSUs, and if you want to use a different solution, you can't get by with a simple daisy chain.

You'll need an isolated power supply with high current (400ma) outputs.

3. randycloud

This is great and very helpful info. Let me ask a follow up: Why don't my Providence and Neunaber units cause the same problem? I use a transformer on the same daisy chain to get 12v for the Providence - perhaps that somehow isolates it...but what is different with the Neunabers? Thanks in advance!!

4. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Each pedal has its own power requirements. Big digital pedals are usually power hungry. While a v2 WET requires 9v and 100mA, a Strymon Mobius needs 9v and 300mA.

5. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

The wet is a much lower consumption and lower power digital chip. Different designs, different power requirements, different horsepower in terms of the chip. The Stereo Wet uses 100ma, the Strymon's use between 3-400 typically. I don't own the providence so I can't speak to its processor, consumption, etc.

Anytime you daisy chain you are by the nature of the process creating grounding issues. Isolating each pedal by using a psu with individually isolated power outputs will solve those ground loop issues generally, and prevent a lot of the clock noise issues that high power pedals like Strymons generate when daisy chained. Not that Klon type pedals are also notoriously noisy when daisy chain.

Are you usig midi? MIDI is another source of noise bleed between pedals, and a much trickier noise to eliminate from a midi heavy rig in my experience.

6. randycloud

No Midi -

I understand the explanation of the power consumption - makes perfect sense and I hadn't expected it on 9v circuits. I ordered a 4x4 and look forward to fixing the issue - THANKS!!

BTW - love your tag line "more gadgets than Batman" :)