Strymon Iridium routing options

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Gasp100, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I have even more videos of the Strymon Iridium in a band mix (tracked live, mixed at home) vs. a real amp (Marshall JCM900 full stack + the same pedals mic'd) and I'm hard pressed to remember which is the Iridium and which is the Marshall...
    I just got in a Fender Bassbreaker 15 (Tweed Edition) and it's a cool little amp and sounds great with pedals in front. BUT, it sounds even better with the Iridium on my same boring clean Deluxe Reverb patch with the Strymon null cab.
    So now I've been testing output 1 (York Audio Deluxe Reverb blend = AWESOME!) into my FRFR and output 2 (null cab) into the FX return of the Bassbreaker. YOWZA!
    When you go into the FX return of the amp literally no controls work (including master volume). I'm not an amp guy, but it is some type of straight pass through... does that seem normal???
    In any case, it's pretty freaking loud.
    And the null cab IR is also very loud.
    To get the proper balance close I need to jack the volume up on the York IR to +6db and drop the volume on the null cab -6db. Still not a perfect match, but close enough (of course with a mixer in the mix I can use that to bring up my DI volume).

That rig (tube amp FX return backline + FRFR/DI/FOH/IEM) is great with the Iridium.
    I just wanted to report back my findings.

Of course the FM3 will work as good / better in this capacity so.... here I patiently wait :rolleyes:

2. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

So in a direct A/B with your FRFR does the iridium into the FX loop of the Bassbreaker sound and feel better?

3. Gasp100

It sounds freaking killer! Destroys the FRFR, but it's "different"; you know when you can "dig in" and really feel the "amp" pushing back? That only comes from a REAL AMP (tube power amp plus real speaker/cab).
    But the FRFR sounds good (doesn't FEEL as good).
    The two together are great and exactly what I experience with AX8 into Friedman Runt 20 FX return and Mesa V:25 FX return.
    BUT>>> the damn amp sounds pretty great too!
    And the Iridium technically has less customization; volume control IR vs. no cab, power amp on/off, etc. than a full blown modeling solution. But it just sounds really good.
    The Iridium into the FX loop of the Bassbreaker absolutely sounds cleaner, but gels well with the tube power amp / cab.
    This is an EL84 power section so I still need to test Strymon set to "Chime" breaking up and "Plexi".

-- But all of that aside, the amp on the middle structure position might sound and feel better than anything else.

fr8_trane likes this.
  4. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

i play my iridium hybrid every day.

i have a favorite mono IR in the left cab, going direct to my interface, and monitoring thru my jbl nearfields...

the other right side slot for another cab, has the NULL cab ir,
    and that output goes into the fx return of my mesa boogie markIIb.

i get the DI IR to sound just right,
    then i tweak the presence and Graphic eq on the amp to approximate the same treble power.

it sounds awesome.

then, i can either mic the cab with a 57, or pick that signal up with a Palmer PDI-09, and then i'm purely direct with zero phase issues between the palmer and the iridium direct.

i haven't used a proper FRFR system, so there's that.

but the boogie, adds the body to the sound that the IR's just can't really get,
    and when i need VOLUME VOLUME VOLUME baby,
    the boogie has it in spades.

it's a great sound, blending these two sources together.

Gasp100 and rdodson like this.
  5. fr8_trane

That's what I figured.

6. Gasp100

Yes the only downside to my setup is that there is NO volume control when you use the FX return. It sounds like the Mesa has a different topology so not only can you control volume you can EQ using amp controls as well even when going into the FX return.

7. Madmax25

Madmax25 Member

Looks like in that particular amplifier, the effects loop is after the master volume. 'Normal' or not, a lot of amps have the effects loop routed this way which is kinda of a bummer when trying to use it as a power amp for a modeler. I have a tube amp head with an effects level knob for the loop, which makes it much easier to work with as a 'monitor' for my modeler. Means I can adjust the on stage volume without affecting the FOH send from the modeler.

And yeah - there's no better way to hear your/my modeler than through the effects loop of a good (or even mediocre) tube amp. IMO, YMMV and all that. 'But aren't you coloring your sound too much by running a power amp sim through an actual power amp?!?' Perhaps, but it sounds glorious! I have even had modelers where it sounds better when I feed the modeler signal WITH cab emulation/IR into the effects loop.

Drum roll, please......... if it sounds good, it IS good! :rimshot

batsbrew and Gasp100 like this.
  8. Gasp100

I'm just surprised at how well the Iridium works in so many ways. Really cool piece of gear!

Madmax25 likes this.
  9. fr8_trane

True... although I have never preferred the sound of a cab sim through a real cab. It always sounds weird to me. For whatever reason its seems that it always sounds better to have the poweramp sim engaged even when running through a real tube power amp. I can confirm this is true with the Helix and Gasp100 has confirmed it with... well every modeller known to man.

Gasp100 and Madmax25 like this.
  10. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

the way the fx loop works in the boogie,
    is that if you plug the Iridium into the RETURN side of the fx loop,
    the entire boogie preamp is bypassed,
    and basically turns the boogie into a pure 6L6 power amp.
    so, i simply use the master volume, as the overall volume control for the rig.
    of course, i can always just reach down to the iridium and take the Level knob down.

but point is, between the graphic eq on the boogie (which comes AFTER the preamp) and the presence control, i can dial in the power amp to be as present as i need for clarity, and use the EQ to dial the cab into the room or the low end i need out of the particular cabinet i choose.

it totally works. i do not think i would want a full range speaker setup, the single 12" closed back and open back cabs i have seem more than up to the task.

Gasp100 likes this.
  11. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

as it is now, i'm running stereo for recording,
    and i'm running stereo out of the Iridium into the stereo inputs of a Boss DD-200, and one side of the dd-200 output runs into the boogie, and one side runs directly into my interface, the side running into the boogie is output using the NULL cabinet IR. i turn the volume of that output down in the cab manager, to match the output of the actual mono speaker ir on the other side, and i bring those into the DAW hard panned Left and Right.
    I'll have to post an example soon.