• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Strymon Iridium vs Mic'ing amp??

Chris F

So I’m about to start playing with our church orchestra in a few weeks. I’m new to this and have never played live. I’m trying to decide between going to the front of house with my strymon Iridium or micing the small (Samamp 12 VSC) I will be playing. What thoughts do you guys with experience have?

Thanks,

Chris

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
If you have an Iridium you will be able to send consistent sound week in and week out to the FOH with it, versus different variables with trying to mic an amp and especially if you have to try to keep it at a lower stage volume if there’s not a way for you to have it set up offstage to crank up and mic.

Guessing you will have in ear monitoring if a direct option is an option?

bobcs71

So I’m about to start playing with our church orchestra in a few weeks. I’m new to this and have never played live. I’m trying to decide between going to the front of house with my strymon Iridium or micing the small (Samamp 12 VSC) I will be playing. What thoughts do you guys with experience have?

Thanks,

Chris
There are other variables. At a church in FL I mic'd a '76 Champ. No one going direct got better tone than I did. All of the sound guys were working pros.
The last church I played at, I was also mic'd. The sound guys were qualified by watching a few YouTube videos. I would have been better off with a direct solution. One guy using a Helix sounded as good or better than any of us amp guys.
So it depends on how good they are at working with a mic'd amp.

What do other guitar players there use? I'd suggest trying what you like most first. If it doesn't work out, change it up.

With the Champ:

Chris F

There are other variables. At a church in FL I mic'd a '76 Champ. No one going direct got better tone than I did. All of the sound guys were working pros.
The last church I played at, I was also mic'd. The sound guys were qualified by watching a few YouTube videos. I would have been better off with a direct solution. One guy using a Helix sounded as good or better than any of us amp guys.

What do other guitar players there use? I'd suggest trying what you like most first. If it doesn't work out, change it up.

With the Champ:
I go to a pretty conservative southern baptist church. while they have occasionally had acoustic guitar, I will be the first electric guitarist (other than a bassist who will be starting with me also). So I don’t have anything to compare to.

PaisleyWookie

I’d skip the Iridium and just get a Torpedo Captor X. Then you can go DI to the board, and have either full volume, attenuated volume, or complete silence from the amp.

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member

With the Champ:
Yeah, the vast majority of churches definitely don’t have pro caliber sound techs. So that’s not something anyone looking to play in that genre should count on.

OP, if you already own an Iridium and it’s a conservative place, then not having an amp on stage as far as volume goes is probably a good thing. And why buy more stuff to try to make an amp work if you already own something like that which will do great. You just need a DI box for the Iridium.

Also, feel free to drop in on the P&W thread on the effects forum if you’d like for more gear and gig related stuff specific to church music.

yeky83

Thanks,

Chris
I say go with micing the amp. You want to be in your comfort zone as much as possible playing live for the first time.

Sonnyducks

I played at my church for like 7 years. Last 4 exclusively electric. We didn’t have a silent stage restriction so I played both amps and direct in my time there. I really wanted to do direct for how easy it was to get setup and tear down. Ultimately I ended up with amps because our in-ear monitors were terrible. I looked into buying my own in-ears and just couldn’t justify that price for a gig I was volunteering for.

dk_ace

I say go with micing the amp. You want to be in your comfort zone as much as possible playing live for the first time.
This is exactly what I was going to say. This is your first time playing live, stick with the stuff you know and are comfortable with.

Once you get used to playing live, if you have specific gear related problems look for solutions to them.

D

Ejay

Even for a good tech (which are rare, even the pro ones), it takes time or a fair amount of luck to get micing an amp right. And ussually someone just yanks a mic in front an call it a day.
So....in 2 decades of gigging amps..my foh sound has never been better then mediocre. The occasions with a set touring crew and same show night after night as an exception....but even then it was different night after night...1 inch movement of a mic does a lot!

So...these days it’s a no brainer...use IRs!
If an amp is most comfortable for you..use that as your stage monitoring...but feed foh an IR.

Someone made the argument “keep it simple if its your first”....that holds value. So if that complicates stuff for you..indeed...just play your amp and let the tech mic it.

John Mark Painter

Silver Supporting Member
Even for a good tech (which are rare, even the pro ones), it takes time or a fair amount of luck to get micing an amp right. And ussually someone just yanks a mic in front an call it a day.
So....in 2 decades of gigging amps..my foh sound has never been better then mediocre. The occasions with a set touring crew and same show night after night as an exception....but even then it was different night after night...1 inch movement of a mic does a lot!

So...these days it’s a no brainer...use IRs!
If an amp is most comfortable for you..use that as your stage monitoring...but feed foh an IR.

Someone made the argument “keep it simple if its your first”....that holds value. So if that complicates stuff for you..indeed...just play your amp and let the tech mic it.
When I first started touring with IEM, i ended up painting a dot on my speaker cab where I wanted the mic placed. The inconsistency of tone from night to night was driving me crazy

Chris F

So based on all the comments, I think I've decided to sell the Iridium and order a Two Notes Captor X. I can play my amp on stage for monitoring, send my amp's sound (relatively) to the FOH, and I won't need a separate DI box. Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Trending Topics