Strymon Iridium!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DaveNJ, Oct 14, 2019.

1. saltbird

saltbird Member

I've been doing this with the Headrush FRFR-112 and the Volante. It sounds great, better than I expected.

It's not going to sound exactly like an FX loop which puts it after the preamp but before the power amp and speaker. It's going to sound more like if you record your guitar and then add delay in post processing, which is actually fairly frequently done on records. It lends a touch more clarity to the delay since it's not getting distorted by the power amp or speaker or microphone, etc.

You're essentially just using a studio trick in a live way given the nature of having a full amp & cab sim going into effects, then into an FRFR. I'm going to experiment with the Deco today, which would be like running a recorded guitar into a reel-to-reel for some studio ADT-esque magic, which is a more realistic application for the Deco anyway.

Dominik and amdowell like this.
  2. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

I use delays before the Iridium in stereo. Works really well but is a different sound than having it after.

3. GaryMcT

Oddly enough the rotary sim I use (nux roctary) works better for me before the Iridium.

4. sigmundc

sigmundc Member

Nothing, except that mine (a cheap Hosa) is 3 ft. long and doesn't have right angle jacks; it's a bit of a logistics issue. Sounds great though; I'm definitely getting the sounds I need from this setup.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  5. saltbird

saltbird Member

I've grown to like the Blues Junior cab in the round mode whereas I did not when I first got the Iridium. I was about ready to replace it with a different IR but I found myself using it for about 4 hours straight last night. It seems to have slightly fatter mids with more of a tweed woodiness to the sound. I think Strymon added it because it's such a noticeable departure from the Deluxe and Vibrolux cabs. Helps you cover more ground that way.

Then again I've noticed I prefer different cab IR selections through different headphones or speakers. I think the Blues Junior cab on the round mode sounds particularly good through the Headrush FRFR-112, at least with my setup anyway.

apoyando, dmutter, junu and 2 others like this.
  6. dmutter

dmutter Member

I kinda also wonder if the Blues Jr cab was strategic for it's familiarity. Sure the Iridium does high end, but there will also be all kinds of people who get interested in the Iridium who haven't owned expensive amps. Also a lot of people play a Blues Jr because it can be turned down to a reasonably low level, which is part of the target audience for something like the Iridium (quiet practice, quiet stage).

losrogers likes this.
  7. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

Any die hard Kemper guys jump ship for an Iridium? I’m 99% sure I’m going to pick one up! Don’t see how I can’t for all the places I play that need silent stage!

8. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

I have an Iridium on the way. Has anyone tried “reamping” the pedal by running into a real guitar amp?

I know the manual says not do that...but is that because it can harm them amp or they think it sounds bad?

9. burton56

burton56 Member

It won’t harm anything by running the Iridium into the front of an amp. It just might not sound very good with your chain going amp =>IR =>amp => speaker. Same goes for all modelers.

moore_for_less and saltbird like this.
  10. GaryMcT

Likely the first thing to try is to disable the IR in the Irodium and run into the effects loop return on an amp.

11. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

Isn’t this the whole concept of re-amping?

12. burton56

burton56 Member

I don’t think so. I think re-amping is running your recorded dry signal back through your amp to get your recorded amp tone.

moore_for_less and saltbird like this.
  13. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

I tried one at a shop like that... into a Mesa tweed something or other. It doesn’t hurt the amp any and didn’t sound bad persay, it just sounded kinda weird and unimpressive. Blew me away out of the headphone jack into my shure se215s though. You’re really just amping into another amp that way and adding all the eq and character of the amp on top of the iridium. Like a couple people said, I’d disable the IR end of things first.

14. GaryMcT

You only one to go through a real amp or amp sim once. Same for cab sim. Anything else added needs to be flat.

15. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I’ve been playing a Kemper for about 2 years. I just got an Iridium in today. I’ll play it at church Sunday and then decide.

16. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 Member

I haven’t tried it through the front of an amp (I could test it easily I suppose). The issue is that, unlike most preamps, the Iridium has power amp modeling as well. It’s one thing to run a preamp sound into another preamp+power amp. It’s another to run a preamp+power amp sound into another preamp+power amp. I’ll check it out.

It sounds great in the FX loop though.

dmutter likes this.
  17. juri

juri Member

I love mine, best pedal of the year for me.

Deadpool_25 and saltbird like this.
  18. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

keep us posted! I may snag one tomorrow!

19. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 Member

Just wanted to say again how awesome it is to get such great tones without any significant tweaking. I watched about 2 minutes of a 16 minute video on dialing in a John Mayer tone with the Helix before just smiling and turning it off.

Again, my context is playing it into the FX loop of an amp so YMMV.

20. slowerhand

slowerhand Member

I've been thinking of it, simply for the attraction of an 100% intuitive interface, and set up a small pedal board around that with zero menu diving. I'll probably wait for the big box though, and I don't think I would ditch the Kemper as I still like the idea of playing actual profiles and trying out new amps.

eternally found likes this.