Strymon Iridium!

addisonnyle

Any die hard Kemper guys jump ship for an Iridium? I’m 99% sure I’m going to pick one up! Don’t see how I can’t for all the places I play that need silent stage!

MagnumSSS

I have an Iridium on the way. Has anyone tried “reamping” the pedal by running into a real guitar amp?

I know the manual says not do that...but is that because it can harm them amp or they think it sounds bad?

burton56

I have an Iridium on the way. Has anyone tried “reamping” the pedal by running into a real guitar amp?

I know the manual says not do that...but is that because it can harm them amp or they think it sounds bad?
It won’t harm anything by running the Iridium into the front of an amp. It just might not sound very good with your chain going amp =>IR =>amp => speaker. Same goes for all modelers.

GaryMcT

Platinum Supporting Member

Likely the first thing to try is to disable the IR in the Irodium and run into the effects loop return on an amp.

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member

I tried one at a shop like that... into a Mesa tweed something or other. It doesn’t hurt the amp any and didn’t sound bad persay, it just sounded kinda weird and unimpressive. Blew me away out of the headphone jack into my shure se215s though. You’re really just amping into another amp that way and adding all the eq and character of the amp on top of the iridium. Like a couple people said, I’d disable the IR end of things first.

Deadpool_25

I haven’t tried it through the front of an amp (I could test it easily I suppose). The issue is that, unlike most preamps, the Iridium has power amp modeling as well. It’s one thing to run a preamp sound into another preamp+power amp. It’s another to run a preamp+power amp sound into another preamp+power amp. I’ll check it out.

It sounds great in the FX loop though.

Deadpool_25

Just wanted to say again how awesome it is to get such great tones without any significant tweaking. I watched about 2 minutes of a 16 minute video on dialing in a John Mayer tone with the Helix before just smiling and turning it off.

Again, my context is playing it into the FX loop of an amp so YMMV.

slowerhand

Silver Supporting Member
Any die hard Kemper guys jump ship for an Iridium? I’m 99% sure I’m going to pick one up! Don’t see how I can’t for all the places I play that need silent stage!
I've been thinking of it, simply for the attraction of an 100% intuitive interface, and set up a small pedal board around that with zero menu diving. I'll probably wait for the big box though, and I don't think I would ditch the Kemper as I still like the idea of playing actual profiles and trying out new amps.

Timz

keep us posted! I may snag one tomorrow!
Kinda jealous at you guys over there in the US! Iridium is hard to get over here in Europe, for now. Nobody seems to have it, Thomann even removed it from their site. :(
Patience is gold, it seems...
Until then, I'll just keep drooling over these threads :D

MagnumSSS

I’m thinking of getting the Radial Shotgun to put just before the Iridium, last in my pedalboard chain.

This way I could feed a stereo pedalboard signal into the Shotgun and then send two outputs to my two Princeton Reverb amps and two outputs to the Iridium.

That will allow me to use my amps as live monitors + record direct. I can also mic the amps if I wish.

Anyone else try something like this? What other stereo splitters are good for this application?

Last edited:

Trending Topics