Strymon Iridium!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DaveNJ, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Timz

Timz Member

Kinda jealous at you guys over there in the US! Iridium is hard to get over here in Europe, for now. Nobody seems to have it, Thomann even removed it from their site. :(
    Patience is gold, it seems...
    Until then, I'll just keep drooling over these threads :D

2. BrightCanon

BrightCanon Member

3. Phopper

Phopper Member

Check out this super glassy strat tone I was able to get from the Iridium. I havent ever been able to get tones like this. So fun.

4. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

That is gorgeous!!

5. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

I’m thinking of getting the Radial Shotgun to put just before the Iridium, last in my pedalboard chain.

[​IMG]

This way I could feed a stereo pedalboard signal into the Shotgun and then send two outputs to my two Princeton Reverb amps and two outputs to the Iridium.

That will allow me to use my amps as live monitors + record direct. I can also mic the amps if I wish.

Anyone else try something like this? What other stereo splitters are good for this application?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019 at 10:55 AM
    Deadpool_25 and onestop like this.
  6. lucky111

lucky111 Supporting Member

That is beautiful! Care to share some settings?

Cheers!

7. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 Member

8. Phopper

Phopper Member

Thanks yall.
    I used the Round amp with some custom Ownhammer IRs. A 2x12 alnico blue on the left and a 4x12 Mesa on the right with some slight eq adjustments.
    Gain was 1:30
    Bass was 12:00
    Mids were 2:00
    Treble 1:00
    Room 11:00 - small size

I had a diamond comp, KoT and a Hudson broadcast clone on for tone shaping. The Broadcast really gave it that glassy tone. And finally some ventris plate for ambience.

I'm blown away by how much the Iridium FEELS like an amp. I've been able to use my pedals in ways I haven't thought of before. I don't know why that is but it's just been such an inspiration.

dshobe, junu, biffoz and 3 others like this.
  9. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

Man I'm diggin the tone of the pushed punch model

dmutter likes this.
  10. guitarman92

guitarman92 Member

I got to use a friends iridium yesterday and it started to kind of blow out when I tried to add a solo setting with a lot of gain and volume from another pedal pushing it. Does anyone else have this problem?

11. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

The only time I noticed it was when I had delay and reverb before the Iridium. If I put it after it works fine.

12. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Member

Please forgive my noobness, but how would I connect, as you suggest, to two powered studio monitors?

13. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I don't think there is any difference. But instead of the Iridium being last in the chain, my Big Sky is last. So it would be Drive pedals into Iridium, Iridium into my Timeline then into Big Sky and then out to your monitors. I use a direct box between the Big Sky and the board or whatever I am connecting to.

14. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 Member

I’m running three gain pedals into my Iridium: Archer, Bonsai, BEOD Deluxe. Only two at a time but I haven’t noticed any negative effects so far. I haven’t been exactly cranking the pedals but have had them set to noon without any issues.

15. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

Well I tried my Iridium for a few days and I just can’t get it to sound good into Logic or even using my recording headphones via the headphone jack. I also realized that I would need to run parallel stereo outs to still run my two Princeton Reverbs for my stage sound. Can’t do it. Others got good tones but I guess I am just not capable of it. Oh well. Returning it.

16. dyldog

dyldog Member

Strymon customer support told me yesterday that European retailers can expect Iridium to arrive around March, and maybe a little sooner if you've preordered.

The shop I preordered from told me they hope to get theirs by the end of December, but that's not looking good. Starting to think about cancelling my order and arranging to get one in the US next time I'm there.

17. dmutter

dmutter Member

It's even backed up in the US (one retailer told me they had pre-orders in the triple digits!) They can't make them fast enough to keep up. It's a good problem, but sure does stretch a guitarists patience!

18. Pax

Pax Silver Supporting Member

I was going to order from Sweetwater, but they've been waiting for product for a couple of weeks. Ordered yesterday directly from Strymon and it's already shipped.

dmutter likes this.
  19. dyldog

dyldog Member

I see you're in Canada — do you know if Strymon ships from within Canada when you order directly from strymon.net, or are you subject to customs fees?

20. dmutter

dmutter Member

As far as I know you are always subject to paying duty when bringing any goods across the border. There are exemptions though for certain things, including if you travel and are away for certain periods of time.

I have family in the USA. I usually buy most things online (including the Iridium) and have them shipped to my family's address and bring it back after a visit. If I stay for a few days, we easily get enough of an exemption to bring back our purchases duty free, legally.