Strymon Iridium!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DaveNJ, Oct 14, 2019.

1. DanR

DanR Member

I ordered one from Sweetwater. After a week of "they're not in yet, any day now," I cancelled the order and ordered from Vintage King. I had it the next day.

dmutter likes this.
  2. Nota

Nota Member

Is there definitely going to be a big box version?

I've been doing the same thing as the Iridium for years with my Ethos. It has two loops, way more tonal options, a built-in 30W amp I use on every gig, defeatable cab sim, normal outputs, two channels, a boost, and it's completely analog. Wondering what the big box version could do to top this :)

3. slowerhand

slowerhand Member

Note definitely. Pure speculation. :) It makes sense to me though, given they can barely make these fast enough.

I'll check out that Ethos.

4. McBrain

McBrain Member

I just got a reply from Strymon about a thing that was bugging me. Is the power amp emulation tied to the preamp emulation in the amp section of the pedal? The answer was yes.

So when plugged into the fx return of an amp, you will still have the power amp emulation running, resulting in emulated power amp + real power amp, even if you select the Cab Bypass mode. I haven't heard anyone complain about it yet, so I guess it's not a problem. I plan to run it through my Line6 Powercab 112 Plus, so not really an issue for me.

Anyone tried it through the fx loop return of a tube amp? How did it sound?

5. Reyybarra

Reyybarra Supporting Member

Forgot to shamelessly post my demo for it...

6. Dominik

Dominik Member

I have a feeling Strymon will address this with a firmware update assigning it to a secondary function holding down both buttons and turning one of the knobs left or right to disable/enable power amp simulation.

Many will want to run this into the effects return of an amp to power cabinets and see no need to double up with power amp simulation so it makes perfect sense to add a function to disable it.

7. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Member

Russo Music in NJ has some in stock.....order yours today!

8. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 Member

Yes I have tried it through an FX loop. I was wondering about how the power amp sim would sound going through a real tube power amp but it sounds spectacular. I’ve only tried it through the Invective though. I should try it through the California Tweed just to see how it they react to each other.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 3:19 PM
    McBrain likes this.
  9. Jon Rad

Jon Rad Member

So, I'd been enjoying my Iridium quite a bit, but I'd been finding it a bit lacking compared to my valve amp and 1x12 cab and figured the 5" monitors I'd been playing it through weren't quite getting it there. I just updated my old Tapco S5 monitors with a pair of 8" Presonus Eris XTs and have been loving it. The sound is a lot bigger, more spacious and 'fuller' at similar volumes and, of course, can crank up much louder than the 5 inchers. It's a lot closer to being as satisfying as playing through my valve amp and I'm very happy with the update.

Deadpool_25, coderKen and presence like this.
  10. Timz

Timz Member

I found one in France on Reverb, it's coming my way. They still have one in stock, so if you're fast...
    https://reverb.com/item/29096105-strymon-iridium-amp-ir-cab

EDIT: aaaand it's gone, wow, that was fast!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 11:37 AM
    Deadpool_25 and dmutter like this.
  11. Henryk

Henryk Member

My problem with Iridium:
    How many of you run delay and reverb into your overdriven amp? I bet only a very few. Most of us run delay and reverb into a clean amp if we use pedals in front of the amp, or if we use overdrive in the amp, we put time based effects in the FX loop of the amp after the amp's preamp, means after the distortion.
    In this regard Iridium was very poorly designed, we have three amps in the pedal and if I want to use the Plexi sound from Iridium gained to the max for my leads, I cannot have my delay and reverb in front of the pedal.
    So, my only option left is to use delay and reverb after the Iridium, just as I would use in the studio to already recorded guitar track.
    Advice for Iridium V2: add FX loop in the pedal so we could plug time based effects after the preamps but before the power amp emulation. I hope the pedal divides internally the two amp stages into preamp and power amp.
    I am using right now NUX Digital Studio and having separate IR for speaker and separate for power end of the amp make a bug difference.
    Watching demos of Two Notes C.A.B. they also have separate sections for IR cab and for power end (it even allows to choose power end tubes emulatiosn lilke EL34, EL84, 6V6, 6L6, etc.).

So in the meantime my setup. Please note that I use this either direct or in the front of the amp. When I use amp I turn off the NUX IR cab/power end ambulations and turn off the Chase Tone also:

(1) Guitar =>
    => (2) ADA MP1 dual tube preamp pedal https://www.adaamps.com/Products/ada-MP1/MP1.htm =>
    => (3) Kingsley Contable (dual tube pedal, copy of Marshall Plexi) http://kingsleyamplifiers.com/products/pedals/58/
    => (4) Xotic EP Booster, adds this nice analog presence that is different from digital high harshness =>
    => (5) Timmy overdrive pedal: I treat this like a Vox AC30 amp setup on the edge of clean and little crunch if I hit strings strong. It is not all the time but for clean and crunch sounds it is on. This is a very underrated, or unknown pedal to many people. I just cannot tell you how many times this pedal surprised me, it makes anything before in the the chain to sound better! =>
    => (6) NUX Solid Studio
    (a) IR cab: 4 x 10", for some reason this one sounds the best in my setup
    (b) Mic: Royer 121 emulation
    (c) Power amp: EL34, this one sound the best in my case
    => (7) Eventide H9 for delays and other effects =>
    => Strymon Big Sky =>
    => Chase Tone - Secret Preamp https://chasetone.com/secret-preamp/ I use it only when I play direct. It is called Secret Preamp but what this pedal does I just call real magic. When going direct this another EP3 Echoplex preamp emulation adds this beautiful analog presence that is unknown in the digital world.

After the above I have BeatBuddy drum machine pedal and Boss RC-3 looper. These two soon will be replaced with the new Boss RC-10R which is drum machine and RC looper in one pedal. This will save me some space.

Since I also play in Church, I consider to add at the beginning the new Boss SY-1 synth pedal to nice pads and some leads.

So, I have not given up on Iridium yet, I am going to either wait for V2 or if I get good discount somewhere I may get it now but delay and reverb I will treat like the final studio processing, after the Iridium. But even in my current setup delay and reverb are after NUX IR/Power End pedal.

I think I am not the only one:
    Strymon Iridium Signal Chain || Should Delays and Reverb go pre or post?

12. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

You are not. It's been discussed many times in this thread and quite a bit in the thread in the digital modeling section. There have been valid points made why no effects loop isn't because of poor design.

13. junu

junu Member

From what I understand, the three amps modeled are non master volume type amps, which means pushing the power section is a big part of the sound for gained up tones. Having a fx loop to go in between the preamp and power amp stage would defeat the purpose of having time based effects going into a clean power section.

Using time based effects post iridium works very well. You won’t be able to use the headphone out to hear the effects, but a portable headphone amp at the end of the chain works well to replace it, use powered monitors, or go into your audio interface and use monitors/headphones.

You can certainly add time based effects in your DAW of choice, but the beauty of Iridium is that it allows me to not be tethered a laptop, and use stereo time based effects pedals. I can practice/play via headphones and enjoy stereo effects in its full glory (HUGE difference for reverb), or go direct and print exactly what I’m hearing. I can always go the DI dry signal route and use plugins for effects/mixing tracks if I want. But the iridium simplifies a lot of that, and sounds and feels really good. I also like that it’s small and can easily fit on my board/be powered with a conventional power source, without a need for a dedicated power supply.

14. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

Could you explain how you're getting stereo effects via headphone amp? Thanks.

15. junu

junu Member

Sure. I use a Fiio A5. I chose it as it has enough juice to drive my Sennheisser HD650 and is portable. I use a dual 1/4” TS to 1/8” TRS cable to connect the stereo outputs of the Ventris (last pedal in chain), into the headphone amp. It’s been working very well and I love that all I need is my guitar -> board -> headphone amp/headphones to practice/play.

If I want to record, I just connect the stereo out of the Ventris into the inputs of my interface, and it works well to quickly put down tracks. And what you hear in your headphones is exactly what you get.

biffoz, Deadpool_25 and Ryno1331 like this.
  16. Trogdor

Trogdor Member

I prefer that delays and verbs go before the amp. I think it sounds awesome. Neil Young and Steven Wilson do it and it sounds great. Heck back in the day of the 70’s everyone was doing it that way as there were no fx loops in the amps back then.

Deadpool_25, coderKen and dhdfoster like this.
  17. junu

junu Member

That’s a cool sound and I dig it too. But it doesn’t hold up well in stereo IME. For mono stuff, sure. But if I want stereo stuff, I prefer it after the gain stage. Plus Ventris has an awesome lofi reverb if I ever want a vibey/distorted reverb thing.

18. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 Member

@Henryk

In your entire post, you didn’t mention headphones a single time, yet it’s the only thing that suffers from the Iridium’s lack of an fx loop.

Reverbs and delays work great after Iridium so there’s really no reason that should bother you. The only real difference is that those effects are now after the speaker...just as if they were added post as with a plugin. Quite standard.

As for headphone use, there are many ways to monitor via headphones even with effects after the Iridium. You just can’t use the Iridium’s onboard headphone jack.*

* Unless you’re totally crazy and buy a 2nd Iridium.**

** I’m totally crazy.

haty and junu like this.
  19. johntownsenddd

johntownsenddd Member

Hey all,

Any of you guys have any issues with your irridium? Yesterday I plugged my voodoo labs 4x4 power supply cab in and then the irridium lights started flashing some and grew dim. I immediately took it off the board and tried to do a reset but nothing :( I've already emailed strymon but wondering if anyone has heard of this happening? I also had a strymon flint and el cap before it in the chain and they still work completely fine. I love the pedal though so hopefully its an easy fix!!

20. Tri Pedal Reviews

Tri Pedal Reviews Member

From the website "Power requirements: maximum 9 volts DC center-negative, with a minimum of 500mA of current"

No outputs on the 4X4 mention 500ma.

biffoz likes this.