Strymon Iridium!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DaveNJ, Oct 14, 2019.

1. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

Forget it, the Iridium is not designed to be plugged into a guitar amp. It will sound like crap...

townsend likes this.
  2. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

By the way, I'm curious if someone has tried the Celestion Cream IR with the Round or Punch setting ?

It's one of the favourite speaker with Fender or Marshall amps (and it costs an arm and a leg...), so it could be interesting !

3. Mattaraja

Mattaraja Member

I jumped in picked up two of the York Audio packs, and yeah, wow, they sound great. The Punch sounds like a Marshall now with the MRSH. The MTCH sounds really balanced with the Chime. I'm using Mix 07 on the MRSH and Mix 01 on MTCH.

4. ikan

ikan Member

Just finished reading all the 144 pages of this thread out of interest. I have learned a lot about what this little wonder can (and can't) do and I would like to thank each and everyone of you for your contributions. Now I'm funding for the unit.

5. aaronjcurtis

aaronjcurtis Member

Thar level of commitment should get you a discount from Strymon.

So, in brief, what would you suggest for someone on the fence with buying this? I currently have a Princeton Reverb and “I think” I’d like something for at home recording and late night playing.

6. juri

juri Member

You can get an Iridium, a Helix, a Captor, a Suhr Reactive Load, UA OX etc... Iridium and Captor can give you in the room reverb for in the room feel. Captor and Suhr RL will allow you to use (and crank your) Princeton. All are great to allow you to use your guitar without making noise (headset).

The Iridium is the best at allowing you a quick and easy user interface, no computers, no deep diving in menus, etc... and get you playing quickly. Works great with pedals, I use mine all the time.

7. ikan

ikan Member

Go for it without a doubt. Iridium excels in those areas for being simple and sounds great. There are other options but they're either not simple or not great.

aaronjcurtis likes this.
  8. blujosh

blujosh Member

i concur with these replies, but it would be good to know what context of usage you are looking for or clarify your understanding of it.

if you are looking for an excellent sounding and simple to use all-in-one amp-in-a-box solution for Fender Deluxe, VOX AC30TB, Marshall Plexi type amp tones for listening on and/or playing live through headphones/in-ears/studio monitors/FRFR/PA speakers and/or for recording, then yes, i would strongly recommend the Strymon Iridium for this purpose. for me, it beat out a number of other devices that i've tried over the years for these exact purposes, including offerings from Tech21/Sansamp, AMT, Shift-Line, Ethos, and even Kingsley, specifically for the combination of versatility (multiple amp channels) + ease of use (simple/concise layout of controls) + quality of sound/feel + size (this is actually one of the biggest plusses for this type of device). if size and cost were not factors (which they very much are to me), a Kingsley or Synergy product would likely be in its place.

if you are looking for something to use in front of your Princeton and/or that provides other/additional effects - overdrive, distortion, fuzz, delay, chorus, etc - then this not what you're looking for.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  9. aaronjcurtis

aaronjcurtis Member

Thanks. Very helpful. The plan would not be to put it in front of my Princeton Reverb Reissue.

10. grendel

grendel Silver Supporting Member

I've had my strymon now for many months. It's been a family saver for sure. I've gigged with it many many times and so far so good. Great great product! First time I have been happy with a modeler.
    I vastly prefer the stereo sound via the headphones verses the mono out and I've run into the mono ts output -> trs input jack phasing issue myself. I wish it had TRS jacks..

One other thing I wish it had is instead of the expression jack, have the expression jack as an effects loop insert instead, post amp and pre room. That would have made it soooo killer, and allow post amp effects (a holy grail search for many people) and the use of the headphone out, etc.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  11. blujosh

blujosh Member

does anyone know if it's possible to access the IR files in the "Saved Collections" that come preloaded in the Strymon Impulse Manager? i was hoping to combine/blend a couple of my favorites, but can't seem to find the actual files - clicking the folder icon next to "Saved Collections" in the Impulse Manager just brings me to an empty "collections" folder on my computer.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  12. soundxplorer

soundxplorer Supporting Member

I don't think so. But if you really want them, it seems like it should be possible to reverse-engineer them by turning off the amp sim and running an impulse through the Iridium. So you would be capturing an IR file just like it was a real cabinet, but obviously not using a power amplifier - just send the impulse through from a line level source using a reamp box.

13. Slevin

Slevin Supporting Member

For anyone using the headphones a lot, what headphones are you using?

14. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

yup agreed. That's what the Iridium is missing imo. EDIT: although, then, how would I midi control it...

15. E. Seyfi Moroglu

E. Seyfi Moroglu Member

Hello!

I have several Strymon pedals and have a technical question that confuses me; there was no explanation for it in tje FAQ or manual so I want to ask, also with the intentiom to avoid any mistakes I might be doing:

Now that my Iridium is in good health after software update I realized another interesting thing which I am sure the experienced users and you will make sense of:

When I connect guitar into Iridium into Bigsky (so after Iridium) with two patch cables from Iridium’s left and right outputs to Bigsky’s left and right inputs and then connect Bigsky to PA (through a TS right and TS left out from Bigsky to TRS to PA) it seems that I have to set the Iridium to STEREO, because when I set Iridium to MONO I have a really bad latent weak sound, whereas Iridium in STEREO gives the true tone of Iridium in this particular setup.

Why is this so? Should not Iridium’s MONO STEREO SUM rear controls function only for the input (i.e. guitar as MONO) hence have no effect or relevance whether I use the Bigsky stereo after Iridium or not? It seems it does because as I said the tone is only good when I toggle STEREO in Iridium’s rare control (even though I only plug the guitar into Iridium). Am I missing something here?

Again sorry if that has been askes before or is a rookie question and many thanks for any clarifications.

Best regards,

Seyfi

16. Crow

Crow Supporting Member

What phasing issues are you experiencing and what does that cause - hum?

17. burton56

burton56 Member

Just out of curiosity, is the PA your connected to a stereo PA or mono?

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  18. E. Seyfi Moroglu

E. Seyfi Moroglu Member

It is connected to a single speaker with a coupler (TS TS TRS Y cable to coupler) to XLR to just one speaker.

19. burton56

burton56 Member

Sounds like the issue might be sending a stereo TRS signal into a PA that is expecting a balanced signal and not stereo using XLR.
    -Iridium set to mono input: Means you have stereo out Iridium which goes into the Big Sky and out as stereo into the PA. Might sound weird. The PA with an XLR wants to see a hot and cold signal and not a left and right stereo signal.
    -Iridium set to stereo in: Means the Iridium is expecting a TRS cable which would send tip to left out and ring to right out. With your guitar cable which I assume is regular TS, the Iridium is only seeing a tip signal and no ring signal which means only the left out of the Iridium will send a signal into the Big Sky. And since the Big Sky is only seeing signal at it’s left input, only it’s left out will send a signal. So you should have no signal on your right side. That means your PA is not seeing a stereo signal, but just the tip side or hot side which is fine, just won’t be balanced.
    I hope that makes sense, I’m terrible at explaining stuff.
    - In short:
    -Guitar into mono input on Iridium > sends a stereo signal into a PA that wants mono.
    -Guitar into stereo input on Iridium > actually sends a mono signal into a PA.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    E. Seyfi Moroglu likes this.
  20. grendel

grendel Silver Supporting Member

I've got it sorted, but it was brought up by another person on this chat that "not inserting the ts cable properly into a TRS jack can cause problems" which has happened to me.
    For the most part, it's not a problem for me, just another thing on the list of why I do wish it had TRS outs. IMHO anything that is supposed to go to a pa or mixer should be TRS for the most part. You can turn signal strength down/up sure, but impedance mismatches are a thing.
    IMHO, if not TRS, then the outs could have been solved the same way the input was with a TRS jack and mono/sum/stereo options.