Strymon- it's on!

HanFastolfe

Bought a Deco like 5 months ago and now this happens. It's pretty much an always on for me....I have an MC6......what do I do.
I've had my deco for years, well before I went MIDI, and the only non midi pedal that held out - dirt went into an ML5. The upgrade is an easy yes for me. V1 will move to my synth rig.

jcshirke

Gold Supporting Member
Do you have to choose between using an exp pedal or using MIDI with these pedals? In other words, you can't have both?

I use MIDI with my Riverside, so I know how that works, but that's not a pedal I'd use an expression pedal with. Some of the others--maybe. But I want MIDI capability for sure.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
I just wanted to post and share the critical observation that Strymon guy's (Sean Halley) Teles are unspeakably fugly - omgoodness I can't unsee those things.

:hide

[I kid - mostly heh.]

That said, I'm very glad to see Strymon making moves to update their product line. I would expect that more is coming (c'mon panning trem on the Flint!).

Strymon brought huge innovation at launch and their incremental offerings have mostly been "very good to excellent." We will all benefit bigly if they return to form innovation-wise.

[And the pups on Sean's Teles do look very cool. His blue Strat is a beaut and he plays very well generally.]

Last edited:

Whizzinby

Silver Supporting Member
I see the speculation on whether the Timeline, Big Sky, etc…will get updates, but what type of update would anyone want that would be a substantial improvement and enough to justify a price hike? The originals are standards for a reason. I can’t think of a single thing they could add or change to - for example - the Timeline that would make me want to shell out enough money on a new one when I could have used the same amount to buy a used v1 Timeline and a Big Sky to go with it.

I think people are viewing the prices “wrong.” Everyone keeps talking about the price of new v2 models compared to the v1 models - “It’s only a little more than v1 and you get midi and updates!” That’s fine, but it overlooks that the v1 models - especially in recent years - have been overpriced themselves for their features vs what else is available for the money, even compared to others in Strymon’s own product line. You shouldn’t view the prices compared to the older models. You should view the prices based around the features compared to market (including Strymon’s other products).

I was always baffled people would shell out $300 for a Blue Sky for a few algorithms and 2 presets when they could have bought a used Big Sky with midi and infinite more value that doesn’t take up much more real estate for about $50 more on avg. These v2 updates at the old v1 price point barely would have made sense given the value to be had within Strymon’s own product line, let alone at the new prices.

The Timeline and Big Sky were terrific values when they were released and they’re still terrific values now. That’s how far ahead of the game Strymon was with the big boxes. The small boxes lacked in features then and were overpriced compared to the big boxes, and now that they’ve received updates they should have had 10 years ago, they’re even more overpriced because of it. Just my $0.02, YMMV.

Excellent post.

I think these are significantly less compelling at these price points, especially versus their big boxes. (Which I’m sure will be replaced with a price hike as well)

I was expecting way more additional modes.(And some that are more compelling than what we’ve seen/heard so far) Just adding midi and leaving everything else alone at $299 would be more compelling than largely just adding a secondary knob and moving these into a $350-$380 price bracket.

Prepares for comments on why pedals largely developed decades ago can’t be sold for $299.

CaliCaveMan

Gold Supporting Member
Do you have to choose between using an exp pedal or using MIDI with these pedals? In other words, you can't have both?

I use MIDI with my Riverside, so I know how that works, but that's not a pedal I'd use an expression pedal with. Some of the others--maybe. But I want MIDI capability for sure.

If you are using midi with the pedal, the port is a midi trs Jack after you set it and now the expression via that port is disabled.

However, the assumption is you have a switcher or midi controller that has the expression jack on the midi controller and you use CC numbers to program expression pedal functions for the preset and when using the expression pedal connected to your midi controller. The expression functions you set on that preset work with the expression pedal plugged into the midi controller/switcher.

Frankly, this is better anyway so all your midi functions on any pedal that supports cc messages for expression can now be controlled simultaneously on that preset for some crazy possibilities.

jcshirke

Gold Supporting Member
If you are using midi with the pedal, the port is a midi trs Jack after you set it and now the expression via that port is disabled.

However, the assumption is you have a switcher or midi controller that has the expression jack on the midi controller and you use CC numbers to program expression pedal functions for the preset and when using the expression pedal connected to your midi controller. The expression functions you set on that preset work with the expression pedal plugged into the midi controller/switcher.

Frankly, this is better anyway so all your midi functions on any pedal that supports cc messages for expression can now be controlled simultaneously on that preset for some crazy possibilities.

Right. Got it now. Thanks!

flatulentmatt

I'm in on the V2 Flint. I love that pedal. Sold off my old one a while back and really missed it, and was about to jump on a new one. Then the video leaked. The MIDI for me is a massive QoL improvement; I use a switcher and so being able to switch (especially between reverb) presets with the push of a button is massive and worth the extra $$. I'm sure the additional improvements will be nice to have as well (the pre-delay will definitely be a bonus).

crashcup

Silver Supporting Member
Damn! I bought the El Cap about two months ago thinking I'd be okay with one non-midi controllable pedal on my board. I wasn't, so a few weeks ago I bought the Timeline--okay, so I'll stack delays. And then, just a few days after the window for returning my Timeline to the store closed, Strymon announces an El Cap with midi!! Argh!!! I call "buyers remorse." Well, not really. I'll live with my existing El Cap and Timeline for awhile, but the v2 midi with midi is a definite reward down the road.

jcshirke

Gold Supporting Member
Damn! I bought the El Cap about two months ago thinking I'd be okay with one non-midi controllable pedal on my board. I wasn't, so a few weeks ago I bought the Timeline--okay, so I'll stack delays. And then, just a few days after the window for returning my Timeline to the store closed, Strymon announces an El Cap with midi!! Argh!!! I call "buyers remorse." Well, not really. I'll live with my existing El Cap and Timeline for awhile, but the v2 midi with midi is a definite reward down the road.

Flip 'em, get the El Cap v2, and pocket the rest.

hafizimran

I tried the Volante twice and both times I went back to the El Cap.
Agreed. I still have both and while the Volante is a great pedal, the El Cap will go down as one of the all-time classics. This is not to say that the v2* is worse than the v1 but I ain’t selling the v1 before getting a chance to try it against the v2 side-by-side.

*Technically, the El Cap is already v3, right peeps? v1 was the one with the hard switch, v2 is the one with the soft switch and these new ones are v3.

petty1818

I am not a midi guy so that improvement doesn't impact me. I am however interested to hear if anyone really notices a tonal/feel improvement. I would upgrade my Flint immediately if the trim tones are improved. I do like the added knob for the spring on the El Cap.

Walrus82

I feel like they put an equal amount of effort into marketing these new versions as they did with the actual development. How about some new products?

fanord

I have the Zelzah which seems to have many (if not all) of the same features internally and externally as these “V2” pedals.

One great thing about the Zelzah compared to for example my DIG v1 is that I can daisy chain the Zelzah from my power supply (Cioks DC7). If I daisy chain the DIG I get this very annoying high pitched hiss. However there’s no problem with the Zelzah.

I know it’s not advised to daisy chain digital and/or time-based pedals. Just wanted to mention this one benefit people may find appealing with these new ”V2” pedals.

To my ears the Zelzah sounds great. I got it when it first arrived and I’m still using it. (I’m not a phaser expert and have not used many other phaser pedals.)

The similarities with the ”V2” pedals and the Zelzah I was referring to include:
- stereo input switch on the back,
- MIDI,
- “premium JFET analog front end”,
- 480MHz* ARM Superscalar processo (*”V2” pedals have 520Hz),
- “ultra low noise, high performance 24-bit 96kHz A/D and D/Aconverters”,
- 32-bit floating point processing,
- 20Hz to 20kHz frequency response,
- exact same size and power requirements.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom