Strymon- it's on!

Lution

And this was in true bypass mode?

I don't recall for sure. This was 8-9 years ago when I owned one. But I almost always ran my pedals in true bypass mode. And I know what you're going to say. Yes, TB mode will always suck a little tone. The El Cap I had, though still slight, sucked more than the usual amount compared to my other pedals in TB.

Big Monk

Formerly EpiLP1985
Silver Supporting Member
I don't recall for sure. This was 8-9 years ago when I owned one. But I almost always ran my pedals in true bypass mode. And I know what you're going to say. Yes, TB mode will always suck a little tone. The El Cap I had, though still slight, sucked more than the usual amount compared to my other pedals in TB.

I was thinking the opposite, i.e. True Bypass mode would pass a truer signal than Trails mode.

Either way, not doubting what you heard, just trying to fully understand the method by which you tested.

meterman

I notice it in TB mode, never really tried buffered mode. It's very subtle, barely perceptible and not an issue at all in a mix imho. A feel thing as much as anything, just a tiny loss of immediacy and slight deadening of the dynamics, maybe a bit of high end loss. Again, splitting hairs and compared to the utility of the pedal not a deal breaker at all for me. But intrigued to hear the new input stage and see how they compare.

I don't know that I'll buy the new one though. Spring as a primary function is not that necessary/appealing, and I don't use MIDI or need 300 presets. I would have liked to see 3-4 internal presets without a favorite switch, that plus the new front end may have enticed me to spend the money.

Last edited:

ironscott

Silver Supporting Member
Can somebody let me know when Strymon puts out an upgrade program? :). I just bought a Flint, El Cap, and Deco about 3 months ago, damnit. And I'm swapping over to MIDI for the rest of my board for my 'big' Strymon pedals.

LaXu

I notice it in TB mode, never really tried buffered mode. It's very subtle, barely perceptible and not an issue at all in a mix imho. A feel thing as much as anything, just a tiny loss of immediacy and slight deadening of the dynamics, maybe a bit of high end loss. Again, splitting hairs and compared to the utility of the pedal not a deal breaker at all for me. But intrigued to hear the new input stage and see how they compare.

I don't know that I'll buy the new one though. Spring as a primary function is not that necessary/appealing, and I don't use MIDI or need 300 presets. I would have liked to see 3-4 internal presets without a favorite switch, that plus the new front end may have enticed me to spend the money.
More likely to be caused by your cables adding extra capacitance in true bypass. Even on the newer model there should be no difference in true bypass because it should just hardwire input to output.

I use my Riverside in buffered bypass mode to combat loss of highs from enough true bypass pedals. Works great.

Lution

I feel the same. 4-8 internal presets would have been way more useful to me than midi - which I won't be using. For that reason, I'm out.

meterman

More likely to be caused by your cables adding extra capacitance in true bypass. Even on the newer model there should be no difference in true bypass because it should just hardwire input to output.

I use my Riverside in buffered bypass mode to combat loss of highs from enough true bypass pedals. Works great.
Thanks but I'm talking about when the pedal is on in true bypass mode (versus trails mode). And the capacitance issue Is a good point, it does sound and feel like that, except doesn't really apply in my case since I have a Chasetone Secret Pre directly after the El Cap and before the amp.

Anyway this has been discussed alot, don't mean to derail

GtrWiz

I could be alone, but I wish they updated algorithms instead of midi support and extra controls. El Cap was game changer about 10 years ago, Magneto (eurorack) was so-so.

It's still my favorite delay pedal. I just hope they fixed the Tap tempo. That alone would be worth it.

Liarparadox

Almost every maker of digital products is offering onboard presets. That would have been a compelling reason to upgrade.
Absolutely. It's very disappointing to me they didn't include this at least 3 presets. Somehow in the meeting on updating these pedals they came to the conclusion to update them to almost what others were doing 3-5 years ago.

I'm still gonna pull the trigger on a Deco. They make incredible sounding pedals; so while I'm disappointed, I'll live with it; and maybe one day I'll get midi. But I've just come to accept that Strymon isn't trying to compete as the front runner or innovator on features like Chase Bliss, Keeley, new Meris...

Though if I had to guess they will do more significant changes with the big boxes as their 'premium' line. Just a guess.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom