Strymon- it's on!

markxander

I wish the presets were onboard. As someone who was more heavily into keyboards years ago I just don't want to bring MIDI into my guitar rig. I use about four presets on my Volante and that works great for me.

I have been looking to re-buy the Deco but haven't decided yet if I'll get the new one or find an old one. I did buy a cheap v1 Dig this afternoon locally -- I've always wanted to try it, and don't particularly care about presets for something like that.

HanFastolfe

One of the title cards in this new El Cap video seems to address the tap tempo concern. It has me really really thinking about trying out one in place of my Nemesis. I don't use that many different algorithms.

meterman

The most common complaint is that there is no spillover when you change tempo using tap, unlike when you turn the time knob.

Thanks, I remember hearing something about that. Never been an issue for me personally but I can definitely see how it could be for some. Ideally the repeats should continue through and warp to the new tempo only on the second tap as if you just turned the knob like you say.

jcshirke

Gold Supporting Member
Is it possible to control more than one Strymon pedal via MIDI without using the Conduit? I guess I'm asking in a roundabout way if you can daisy chain the Strymons like you would other MIDI-capable pedals.

Ander

Silver Supporting Member
Is it possible to control more than one Strymon pedal via MIDI without using the Conduit? I guess I'm asking in a roundabout way if you can daisy chain the Strymons like you would other MIDI-capable pedals.
Using something like a Morningstar MC8 you can. There are 4 1/4 midi outs on it. Highly recommend it.

joebloggs13

Nope, I will be holding onto my v1 models, and I am pretty sure I am not the only one.

The v1 models are true classics, El Capistan, DIG, Flint etcs, they have more than proved themselves both in studio and on stages. They are truly phenomenon and will remains so.

Personally, I think these new versions are the results of parts (semi-conductor etc) shortage, such that Strymon can no longer produce the V1 models as before and they had to change components, the DSP, the input section etc.... Of course, all the changes will be touted as upgrades, mixed with some actual functional upgrades (extra buttons, midi etc), to justify the price hike which is largely due to inflation. It feels like the typical stick and carrot product strategy....

So I am hoping the V2 models are as good as V1, but make no mistake the V1 models are every bit as good as before, and they now seriously look like bargains, both in new and used market.

On the other hand, it takes time for V2 models to proves themselves to be as worthy.
Agreed. I own 5 Strymon small boxes and am keeping all of them.

fanord

Can somebody let me know when Strymon puts out an upgrade program? :). I just bought a Flint, El Cap, and Deco about 3 months ago, damnit. And I'm swapping over to MIDI for the rest of my board for my 'big' Strymon pedals.
I bought the Dig two months ago brand new.
Because of this I’m kinda relieved that the V2 pedals are more expensive AND that the V1 pedals are still sold at the old price :)
At least here in Europe the Dig V2 is 38% more expensive compared to V1.
Having bought the Dig just two months ago I guess I would feel “more sorry for myself” if the price increase of the V2 pedal would not have been as significant :)
At the same time I’m disappointed that the new versions have this price increase since I‘m hoping to get the new Lex*. I guess I’ll have to adjust to the idea that Strymons have now surpassed the €400 mark and cost over €100 more.**

I may get a used Flint V1 now. However I’m not sure how many used V1 Flints there will be available. Comparing (on paper) the V1 Flint to the new one it seems there’s not too much difference unless you need MIDI. I was hoping fot stereo panning with the V2.

*The lack of a Dry knob in Lex V1 was a dealbreaker for me in the past.
**The prices include taxes.

spikey

The midi commands in my Axe-FX III mk2 allow me to control all 4 (Möbius,Timeline, Bigsky, and Volante) Strymon pedals per preset in a daisy chain. Don't know about these newer models yet.

BroomH

The midi commands in my Axe-FX III mk2 allow me to control all 4 (Möbius,Timeline, Bigsky, and Volante) Strymon pedals per preset in a daisy chain. Don't know about these newer models yet.
Not sure if they have midi through.

soundbee

Double Platinum Member
Not sure if they have midi through.
Daisy-chain 1/4” TRS midi cables? Do they exist?

According to the manuals, there’s several midi out modes. Yes, there is a THRU. The default is OFF. And of course, you can set for different channels.

MothAttack

ARM chip, USB-C, MIDI I don’t care about. But it’s understandable, especially with inflation too. I’m actually really curious about which ARM chip they used. I think these are the first effects pedals that use an ARM.
Ah, yeah. The v1 was already pushing the limit of my “simple pedals only” rule. I don’t need any of that. I see the value for someone though.

57gold

Gold Supporting Member
After lugging around a green Echoplex and then a Fulltone TTE got an El Cap when they came out...was like a A for convenience and B- in terms of tone. Worked best in active loop of Carol-Ann OD, less good in front of Komet, Alessandro, JTM45. Sucked tone when in circuit, just less of everything good, so relegated to old effects graveyard along with the highly touted but equally tone sucking Neubauer Wet. Even when off, they killed tone.

I play clean, edge of break up and with a little push, wanting my instruments and playing come through. Never rely upon effects/ambience to drive the playing. So I guess folks who play with multiple effects and gained out MV amps dig the amazing functionality/options of these units. For my purposes, if they diminish the beauty of the tone of the instruments and amps, they just do not make the cut.

Perhaps the new preamp function will restore what the original El Cap took away? A bunch easier than lugging an echoplex, or better than leaving echo out and relying solely on a reverb pedal or Fender tube unit.

Mojopin88

After lugging around a green Echoplex and then a Fulltone TTE got an El Cap when they came out...was like a A for convenience and B- in terms of tone. Worked best in active loop of Carol-Ann OD, less good in front of Komet, Alessandro, JTM45. Sucked tone when in circuit, just less of everything good, so relegated to old effects graveyard along with the highly touted but equally tone sucking Neubauer Wet. Even when off, they killed tone.

I play clean, edge of break up and with a little push, wanting my instruments and playing come through. Never rely upon effects/ambience to drive the playing. So I guess folks who play with multiple effects and gained out MV amps dig the amazing functionality/options of these units. For my purposes, if they diminish the beauty of the tone of the instruments and amps, they just do not make the cut.

Perhaps the new preamp function will restore what the original El Cap took away? A bunch easier than lugging an echoplex, or better than leaving echo out and relying solely on a reverb pedal or Fender tube unit.
Tone suck aside, how close would you say you were able to dial in the El Cap to replicate your original Echoplex?

57gold

Gold Supporting Member
Tone suck aside, how close would you say you were able to dial in the El Cap to replicate your original Echoplex?

Not close enough for me, but close enough for any audience in a live band setting...which makes much of the collective obsessing we TGPers seem to do about every detail of our rigs in large part a waste. That is if one actually plays for people.

I get to play with a bunch of folks who show up with all kinds of gear/effects. In general, the ones with a good tube amp and perhaps a gain pedal and maybe some kind of modulator and tuner, sound the best. Players with large boards and/or, to me, dreaded solid state Fenders/Marshalls - especially he ones with modelers, seem to largely have muddy, garbled or shrill tone.

On the other hand, if the 1980s is one's reference point and sonic nirvana, the more effects and gain, the better. I lived through that period in which guitars seemed to become sound effects controllers. Started down that path, but after a few years gave away my SPX90 and other digital effects and modded my SLO100 to work in a medium gain environment, then sold it. The SLO could sound great when cranked with the MV out of the way...but one very loud MF that way.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom