Strymon- it's on!

Not Orange

Did you miss where I said ‘onboard’ or choose to ignore it?

Are you ignorant of what the term "onboard" means or just being deliberately obtuse?

For those using MIDI - take a scroll through the PCs before saving anything. I just got my Flint hooked up and there are factory presets. :D Not sure how many, I scrolled 0-15 and it kept changing sounds. They might repeat, it's a bit hard to tell with Flint. Anyway - might find some cool sounds in the other v2's.

"Flint hooked up and there are factory presets."

It has presets onboard.

kingofrats

Kinda tempted to get the V2 Blue Sky for my main reverb, I like the new mod options, but I absolutely loathe shimmer reverbs. Now with that dedicated knob, I don't want to grimace every time I look at the pedal :p

MIke MM

Gave it a ‘Like’ just for the Brooks Robinson analogy. Very apt for the Flint, somehow.

Here’s a question: For just scrolling sequentially through presets, will a Multiswitch Plus suffice? It works well this way on Mobius, so maybe?

Not to derail thread, but speaking of Brooks, I was a 10 year old at Memorial Stadium on Sept 18, 1977

and got one of these!

1656954511787.png

R J

Are you ignorant of what the term "onboard" means or just being deliberately obtuse?

It has presets onboard.

Im assuming he wants to change presets on the pedal itself.
Exactly, thank you. I thought it was fairly basic common knowledge what these terms meant and that ‘onboard’ doesn’t mean utilizing external MIDI controllers.

@Not Orange, you ok, man? You seem to be getting awfully bent out of shape about what some people would like to see on an effects pedal. There's no need to lose your cool because difference of opinion regarding musical equipment.

Last edited:

Mark Al

By the way, for the El Capistan V2, does the functionality of Spring Reverb changed compared to V1, or is it still the same but merely having a dedicated knob?

In V1, the Mix knob controls both the mix of Spring reverb and echo, does the Spring knob in V2 control the reverb's mix independently now?

vmann

Silver Supporting Member

It has presets onboard.
No, he’s not being ignorant or obtuse. He stated a simple, factual observation.

You, however, are disingenuously obtuse. Do you need another device to access those Strymon v2 presets? Yes.
Can you access some presets by the pedal alone? No. See Alexander Neo series pedals, amongst a host of others, that offer onboard presets.

kingdavidy2k

Plus management of presets will be in Nixie soon via basic usb c instead of the midi to usb adaptors. If you play enough variety of stuff, midi and switcher/midi controllers are so worth it.
Did Strymon give any timeline when it’ll be supported through Nixie?

kingdavidy2k

So far the only difference tonaly I hear comparing DIG & DIG 2 side by side is the mix knob behave slightly different. 11:30 on V1 is 12:30 on V2. The V2 Manual stated mix is 50/50 @3:00 by default and I hear slight dry signal volume drop as the mix gets higher unlike V1. The dry signal can be change to all the way from 0-unity through secondary function and savable per preset.
I wish It can also boost.
Can’t really hear any difference from the new JFET input stage.

I’m only going through amp plugin at this stage though - not real amp just yet.

Mark Al

So far the only difference tonaly I hear comparing DIG & DIG 2 side by side is the mix knob behave slightly different. 11:30 on V1 is 12:30 on V2. The V2 Manual stated mix is 50/50 @3:00 by default and I hear slight dry signal volume drop as the mix gets higher unlike V1. The dry signal can be change to all the way from 0-unity through secondary function and savable per preset.
I wish It can also boost.
Can’t really hear any difference from the new JFET input stage.

I’m only going through amp plugin at this stage though - not real amp just yet.
Thanks for reporting/confirming that.

The mix knob behavior change is expected to be now aligned with the EL Capistan. I actually prefer DIG V1’s taper which ramps up more gradually. But either way, that’s no big deal.

About the new JFET, no difference is good news, no difference here means success for Strymon!

By the way, doing such comparison with high quality headphone or studio monitor in stereo should be more revealing than going to a loud mono tube amp. In the latter case, much sonic nuances are lost and i simply dont care about them in a live/gigging situation either.

Last edited:

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
I'm kind of confused. What features do you want to see? Can't you save your different routings and settings using MIDI?

Not in the way an SDD-1200 allows. Plus my intiall point is that it would be better not to have features I can only do with MIDI. I’m no stranger to MIDI- so this isn’t some Luddite view, juts one of ergonomics- as I’m also a HW and SW synth guy (been using HW synths forever and SW like Ableton and Reason since they were both version 2 and various synths VSTi’s just as long). But I don't use MIDI for my guitar or bass rigs and don’t want to start (again). Or I should say I don’t utilize the MIDI on pedals that do have it.

A layout similar to the Volante or even Nightsky for the DIG would help unleash its full potential in a more accessible fashion.

But this is coming from someone who does not generally like secondary or hidden functions. I don't like them on synths (though a bit more required for HW), tolerate them for rack gear (though most of the legendary units don’t have or need more than 1 or 2) and abhor them on pedals. Especially if key features can only really be used via MIDI

Easyrom

Got my Lex v2 in the mail today.
Need more time with it and can't compare it to the v1 which I've never played (sorry), but I already can say the v2 is an excellent sounding pedal. Really enjoyed my first hour with it. Tried it very quickly after and before overdrive (ODR-1 into Lightspeed) and it appears I prefer the Lex before dirt, at least before the ODR-1 which starts to catch RFI noise if placed before the Lex... o_O

Really easy to use and, as said before, the Dry setting is an absolute essential!
The speed foot switch gives you the impression of having to effets in one: one can be subtle and spacious, while the other is more fun and retro.

Didn't need that new line to love Strymon, but it confirms all the good things I feel for this brand.

Non-rabbit

Not like an overall perceived volume loss, but just a little whoomp when it goes on and off.
Hm, I tested mine today and couldn't really hear anything like that happening. For me it sounds like a smooth transition when it turning it on and off. I might just be less sensitive to it though. Zelzah was an actual cut in the signal, which I can't put up with. The Deco is seamless enough for me.

CRWolf

Not in the way an SDD-1200 allows. Plus my intiall point is that it would be better not to have features I can only do with MIDI. I’m no stranger to MIDI- so this isn’t some Luddite view, juts one of ergonomics- as I’m also a HW and SW synth guy (been using HW synths forever and SW like Ableton and Reason since they were both version 2 and various synths VSTi’s just as long). But I don't use MIDI for my guitar or bass rigs and don’t want to start (again). Or I should say I don’t utilize the MIDI on pedals that do have it.

A layout similar to the Volante or even Nightsky for the DIG would help unleash its full potential in a more accessible fashion.

But this is coming from someone who does not generally like secondary or hidden functions. I don't like them on synths (though a bit more required for HW), tolerate them for rack gear (though most of the legendary units don’t have or need more than 1 or 2) and abhor them on pedals. Especially if key features can only really be used via MIDI
Genuinely not trying to be argumentative here...

Even with the expanded format, Volante still has some things that can only be accessed via midi.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom