Strymon- it's on!

HanFastolfe

Two questions for the folks that have their V2's:

1. Is there any sort of signal interruption when engaging the effect? Is it a completely smooth, seamless transition?

2. Does the effect engage on press or on release?

I ask because Zelzah is not a completely smooth transition. There's a little blip of silence when you engage it. And it also engages when you release the switch rather than on press.
Not smooth, but for the Deco it's better than the V1 in that regard. Flint.. idk. Reverb is always on, trem might just not be noticable. The Deco and Flint switches engage on release, I'd bet they all do. For the deco that means you can't engage auto flanger from an off state, which is a tiny bummer.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
Two questions for the folks that have their V2's:

1. Is there any sort of signal interruption when engaging the effect? Is it a completely smooth, seamless transition?

2. Does the effect engage on press or on release?

I ask because Zelzah is not a completely smooth transition. There's a little blip of silence when you engage it. And it also engages when you release the switch rather than on press.

I’ll have to get back to you on #1, I haven’t noticed it though.

2) I’m almost positive release. And there’s a reason. All the modes where you hold for a length of time and then it does something different- those modes require listening to the amount of time the button is held down. That’s the commands are on release on so so so many pedals now. It makes it more functional for adding features.

kingdavidy2k

Question

The new Strymon pedals need 9V DC 300mA

My True Tone One Spot that powers my board is mostly 9V DC250mA

I don't think I can power the new Strymon's on my board?

I was hoping I could just pop the V2 pedals into my board where the V1 pedals where, but it seems they need more power?
True Tone had a video saying it doesn’t matter how big of a Ma is going into any of the outlet as long as the total of all the pedals doesn’t go beyond the limit. I’ve been plugging many different pedals bigger than individual the outlet level and never had any problems. For instance DIG v1 out of 250ma and Neunaber Slate out of 100ma. Never had any problems.

kingdavidy2k

For those of you hooking up your Gen2 Strymon pedals (or the likes of the Riverside, etc) to MIDI via TRS - I see Strymon has a proprietary MIDI cable (of course) which I believe has an optocoupler and some resistors, etc in line. Has anybody tried just a straight wired-through TRS to 5 DIN MIDI cable?
I tried BOSS MIDI to 1/8” TRS with 1/8 to 1/4” and doesn’t seem to be working.

IceT

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve got a V2 DIG and MIDI over TRS seems to be working with my Mc6 using the Omniport 1/4” out.
BUT. There’s a huge problem. Syncing the DIG to MIDI clock causes the time knob to work like a multiplier, which is handy. Unfortunately though, anytime a preset is recalled the pedal acts as if this knob is maxed, making the delay time 4x longer than the tap speed. This is a deal breaker for me as I bought this for the MIDI/preset capabilities. Just as a heads up to other people looking at it.

vmann

Silver Supporting Member
Deco v2 arrived today. Will probably try it tomorrow. I’ve had 5 v1 Decos before so I’m a big fan of the Deco and the small box Strymons in general. I’ve got a multi-switch + so I’ll use that for presets initially but I really think I’ll be going midi eventually.

MIke MM

True Tone had a video saying it doesn’t matter how big of a Ma is going into any of the outlet as long as the total of all the pedals doesn’t go beyond the limit. I’ve been plugging many different pedals bigger than individual the outlet level and never had any problems. For instance DIG v1 out of 250ma and Neunaber Slate out of 100ma. Never had any problems.
Thanks for that, do you have a link to the video?

I emailed Strymon and they did reply:

“Yes, the new pedals do require more power. With the additional features and capabilities they now require a minimum of 300mA, and you would most likely experience an issue with only 250mA. All Strymon pedals do ship with a factory power supply though.”

kingdavidy2k

I’ve got a V2 DIG and MIDI over TRS seems to be working with my Mc6 using the Omniport 1/4” out.
BUT. There’s a huge problem. Syncing the DIG to MIDI clock causes the time knob to work like a multiplier, which is handy. Unfortunately though, anytime a preset is recalled the pedal acts as if this knob is maxed, making the delay time 4x longer than the tap speed. This is a deal breaker for me as I bought this for the MIDI/preset capabilities. Just as a heads up to other people looking at it.
Hmm I have the DIG V2 and experiencing weird midi time clock when changing presets as well. Have you tried contacting Strymon about this by any chance? I was under the assumption that it’s because I’m using BOSS MIDI to TRS cable. I have Strymon MIDI Exp cable coming was hoping that would solve it.

Danzego

This is down right strange, I found the ADT from my El Cap V1 and DIG V1 outstanding, extremely transparent, without any dynamic issue what do ever. (Both pedals are bought new from Strymon directly about 2 years ago)

I played all 3 UA effect pedals, both Golden and Starlight’s buffers make the tone too bright, under direct comparison with Strymon. All of them exhibit excellent dynamic, but Strymon’s buffer is simply outstanding, natural, transparent and dynamic.

By the way, a bit context, I am very sensitive/picky on buffer qualities, and I’ve been through many of them, eg analogan, Mesa highwire, etc just to name a few…. They either make tones too bright or change the picking dynamics, in the end, Strymon (v1 pedals) just beats them all, after much back and forth A/B comparison.

That’s why I am quite surprised to hear you had trouble with EL cap V1’s buffer/ADT quality….

I had the same issue with the UA stuff- too bright. I’ve seen people claim that they’re very EQ neutral, but they’re not, at least in terms of being added to the chain. Sure, when you turn the pedals on and off, they’re pretty consistent, but at that point, the damage is already done. Just bringing the UA pedals into the chain in the first place introduces a treble component that I find uncomfortable and somewhat spikey. I had a Starlight and a Golden and recently sold them both. I couldn’t get on with that over the top washy and metallic reverb of the Golden. I was always fighting to reduce the reverb and make it more complimentary rather than my sound being bathed in reverb. I bought a Flint shortly before the Golden and intended to only keep one. Based on user hype, I thought it would be the Golden, but the Flint sounded more pleasing to me. The Starlight had a few things of its own I didn’t care for.

I think the new amp pedals are the same thing. In the comparisons I’ve seen videos and posts about, I’ve seen people state that their other amp sim pedals were too muddy compared to the UA stuff. I think the problem is the UA pedals are so inherently bright, they make other pedals sound that way once your ears are tuned to them and then you go back to other pedals to compare.

Last edited:

jonthomas83

Concerned with this MIDI clock thing. @kingdavidy2k and @IceT could it be that the preset time is competing with the clock time? I assume that's the case and Strymon need to do work to prioritise preset time. I wonder if a global tempo might be the overriding preference? Just thinking aloud. Or, if something like the Conduit would solve the issues.

Either way, I'm concerned because it's my final day before I can return for a refund, today and I don't want it if this issue isn't going to be fixed. I don't know much about how Stymon handles stuff like this and how quick they act/don't act.

Line 6 were great, but I fear, for no rational reason based in reality whatsoever, that Strymon might sell this as a "this is expected behaviour".

Last edited:

BroomH

Concerned with this MIDI clock thing. @kingdavidy2k and @IceT could it be that the preset time is competing with the clock time? I assume that's the case and Strymon need to do work to prioritise preset time. I wonder if a global tempo might be the overriding preference? Just thinking aloud. Or, if something like the Conduit would solve the issues.

Either way, I'm concerned because it's my final day before I can return for a refund, today and I don't want it if this issue isn't going to be fixed. I don't know much about how Stymon handles stuff like this and how quick they act/don't act.

Line 6 were great, but I fear that Strymon might sell this as a "this is expected behaviour" for some irrational reason with no basis in reality whatsoever, just a hunch.
I would return it if doesn’t work for you.

IceT

Silver Supporting Member

Line 6 were great, but I fear, for no rational reason based in reality whatsoever, that Strymon might sell this as a "this is expected behaviour".
Yes I agree that it sounds like the pedal needs a global tempo setting so that we can choose what has priority…that being said I haven’t heard back from them after 4 business days so I have no idea how long a fix will take.

Simto

I've wanted a Lex for eight or nine years now... just never got around to buying one. Now I want it even more, but I'm broke. I think I'd swap the cream knobs out for black ones. Not really a fan of the cream ones. I could maybe just get a v1 cheaper though, it still sounds awesome.

jonthomas83

Page 15 says: "The MIDI Clock setting is saved per Favorite setting or per MIDI preset", so maybe it works as expected and you might have some kind of conflict. The manual is massively unhelpful, must admit. (Sigh, more manual issues!).

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member

Interesting. So you are saying that the time knob doesn’t save per preset in midi clock mode right now?

I have an El Cap and my first two presets that I’ve been working with both in fixed mode which has fixed subdivisions. But I’m planning to make a multi and a single mode preset later this week. I will be on the look out for that glitch on the El Cap when using midi clock and the multiplier in those modes.

IceT

Silver Supporting Member
Page 15 says: "The MIDI Clock setting is saved per Favorite setting or per MIDI preset", so maybe it works as expected and you might have some kind of conflict. The manual is massively unhelpful, must admit. (Sigh, more manual issues!).
Except that it doesn’t - I tried changing the time knob setting to be 1:1, saved it, then re-loaded that preset and it was back to acting as if the time knob was maxed out

IceT

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting. So you are saying that the time knob doesn’t save per preset in midi clock mode right now?

I have an El Cap and my first two presets that I’ve been working with both in fixed mode which has fixed subdivisions. But I’m planning to make a multi and a single mode preset later this week. I will be on the look out for that glitch on the El Cap when using midi clock and the multiplier in those modes.
That’s what it appears to be, yes - I tried adjusting the time knob, then saving, but when I re-load that preset it’s back to where it was. Very strange

jonthomas83

Ah man, I don't know what to do about returning my DIG, I don't want to be stuck with a pedal that they'll not update. I've not got the MIDI gear here to carry out tests of my own, that's a future purchase, but I had hoped I'd be future proof. Right now, it sounds great and does what I want, but if MIDI isn't working, that scuppers my future plans.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom