1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Strymon Lex vs. H&K Rotosphere

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fuzzface71, May 22, 2011.

1. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Supporting Member

Has anyone compared both pedals yet? That Lex sounds the most promising from all the ones that I've seen. I've been a Rotosphere user for almost 7 years now. And imo, IT IS THE "Leslie in a box" pedal. :)

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  2. Tone Shop Guitars

Tone Shop Guitars Member

I second this
    Looking for the results

3. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

Third.

I've been using the H&K for almost ten years. I haven't heard better...my eye is on that Strymon, if only because it's smaller.

4. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

+1. Still hoping someone does a side-by-side demo.

So far, the only real complaint I've heard with the Lex is that the drive can sound too "digital" (which of course it is)... the drive on the H&K is one of it's "magical" properties...

5. fuzzface71

I have seen the Strymon, but I honestly haven't done any major investigation. Is it digital?

Ditto on the size. But years ago, I have used a Line 6 Rotomachine in place of my H&K. My pedalboard wasn't the same without the Rotosphere. I didn't have bar patrons gather around my pedalboard on stage, like when I had the Rotosphere on board. :D

[​IMG]

6. 66Park

66Park Member

I've had a Lex since the first batch, and it's never even crossed my mind that the drive sounds digital. I have no clue what anyone that would say that is talking about.

7. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

Digital isn't necessarily bad. We've been trained to think that by Boss, but there's plenty of good sounding digital pedals out there now.

For me it would be a size factor. The Rotosphere would have to be A LOT better sounding to overcome that.

8. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I would love to try the Lex and the Ventilator, but my Rotosphere was paid for at least 10 years ago and it more than gets the job done!

9. cpricecpa

cpricecpa Member

My Lex arrived yesterday. Right now I'm just trying to dial it in to my liking. Seems like it's going to be a fun pedal.

10. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

I own and love a Skreddy Echo, is it not digital? Also long time owner of the Rotosphere.

11. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Just to clarify, I'm not saying "digital is bad" at all... I'm not an "analog only snob"... I had just heard some complaints that the drive on the Lex SOUNDED digital... sounding digital and being digital mean 2 different things. I've had my share of digital effects, and still do, but I don't keep the ones that sound digital to me, and keep the ones that don't (Strymon El Cap is a perfect example).

12. zestystrat

zestystrat Member

Quoting myself from the Lex thread:

Hope that helps a little.

13. jazzguitar14

jazzguitar14 Supporting Member

Im another happy Rotosphere user... It would be hard to get me to change to digital, If anything, I would go back to a real leslie.

I use the Rotosphere for guitar, but mostly for organ and it simply screams. Also I find the interface very easy to dial in on the fly.

14. c diddy 5000

c diddy 5000 Member

what about comparing the lex to the destination rotation single? ive owned the later for several years now. i have nothing bad to say about this unit. but when i saw the demo for the lex, i was blown away! thoughts?

15. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I had a DRS, (I don't own a Lex yet), but I have owned the DLS Rotosim, Line 6 Roto-Machine, and H&K Rotosphere.

The DRS wasn't bad, but it sounded more like a phaser than a leslie, to me. I thought it had a good drive function, but in the end just didn't sound realistic enough. I prefer the Rotosim & Rotosphere. (altho the Line 6 was the worst; I'd take the DRS over the Line 6 any day.)

16. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

+1. Would like to try the Lex but the RotoSIM is satisfying me. I love the Rotosphere in fast mode, but the slow just didn't get the grind I needed. -E

17. fuzzface71

actually it did. :)

18. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Same here - in fact I was pleasantly surprised at how good the drive sounded. It didn't sound like you put an overdrive pedal in-front of the Lex, it sounded like the the power amp section of a Leslie amp driving hard. I like it.

19. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

I don't know how people can say the Destination Rotation sounds like a leslie - it sounds like a phasor/tremolo combined. I had both versions and neither one to me ever had me thinking I was plugged into a leslie speaker. The first time I stepped on the Lex the hair on the back of my neck stood up - and that was in mono.

20. fuzzface71

Ditto on the DR. I was disappointed on that one, when I finally tried it. Years ago, when it first came out, I so did wonder about it, because of the size, that it might be a good replacement. I was so glad, GAS didn't hit me hard on that one. :D