Strymon Mobius/Flint Headroom

D. Robinson

Hi guys,

I've been loving these two units together, but I noticed something odd a few weeks ago. Both pedals are in the loop of my amp. If I engage the trem side of the flint when I have my amp set to some distortion/overdrive, I get this scratchy sound, fizz may be a better word for it, on top of the distortion sound. It is readily apparent by switching the pedal on and off while playing a riff. Same goes for the mod effects on the mobius.

I don't have my mobius on hand at the moment, but I stuck the flint out front of my amp and it seemed to ameliorate the problem a little, but it radically changes the sound of the verb being out front. Haven't tried it with the mobius since I don't have it with me right now.

Has anyone else run into this issue? It happens on both my Redplate and Mesa when the pedals are in the loop. Am I just overloading it with gain to the point the circuit itself is clipping (which if you have ever recorded, the sound on top of the distortion sounds like digital clipping), should I try plugging my power source directly to the wall instead of my power strip, or what? Kind of been driving me a little loony over the past week or so. Thanks

Footbutt

When I ran my Timeline and Space through the FX loop of my Egnater Tweaker 15, I think I heard this too.

TAVD

Guitar Player
Platinum Supporting Member
The Mobius doesn't do so well with line level signals, ime. It has nothing to do with where you've plug in the psu. If you have send & return level controls, you may be able to match levels w/o clipping. I just run mine in front of the amp.

D. Robinson

hmm, this is actually a major bummer. My love affair with these two pedals may have just come to an abrupt end. I was hoping against odds that I might have actually got two defective units, but if others notice it as well, it may be the norm.

D. Robinson

After further experimentation, I can safely say the flint nor the mobius really enjoy being in a fx loop when using amp gain. Both exhibit clipping then, but are fine with a clean sound.

jay24

I'm having the same issue with my Flint. This is the 2nd one and it has the same issue however, I'm not even running it through an effects loop. My signal is Rat > Delay > Flint. I keep my Rat slightly above unity volume with the amp, the amp itself is run completely clean, and I use a tele (not a hot pickup either). I don't get crackling all the time (usually sounds great) but if I'm doing ambience work and I dig in hard on one note or swell into it, I can hear it crackle as if something is clipping. I usually set my Rat's distortion at 9'clock. Does anyone have the same problem?

CarlGuitarist

One idea would be to put something like One Control Granith Grey booster before the Mobius and Flint, in other words directly after the fx-send. You could then use this to attenuate the signal going into the Strymon units, since it is capable of both boosting and cutting (and should not impart any color to the sound).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom