Strymon Mobius Or Line 6 M5 For Utility Box?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wagster, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Wagster

Wagster Member

I need a do it all box for several of the gigs I do. I need a phaser, trem, leslie, fast chorus and a wah. I don't want to have to put each separate effect on my board as it would make it too big. These are cover gigs where I need to cop various tones. What are the pros and cons btween the Mobius and M5?

Thanks,
    Billy

2. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

I have a möbius and a M9. You could easily do the job with either but I personally prefer those sounds you need from the möbius

onwingsoflead and Wagster like this.
  3. 68Injunhed

68Injunhed Supporting Member

The main draw for me to Möbius was the pre/post thing. Some mod effects just need to be before dirt IMO.

4. slap_back05

slap_back05 Supporting Member

Line 6 does reverb, filters and delay, plus 3 effects at once. Mobius does not. That would pretty much settle it for me if I needed an all in one.

Wagster likes this.
  5. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

Not the M5 which is the one the OP talking about.

Wagster likes this.
  6. Mr2D

Mr2D Member

The M5 definitely only does one effect at a time - it's the M9/13 that can do more.
    I've had both. M5 was fun to mess about with, and I really liked the synth stuff. The mod, delay and reverb were alright. Lots of people rave about Particle verb, but I never got it - just sounded gimmickey to me.
    The Möbius has been a permanent fixture on my board for over a year and I love it, so versatile, saved me so much real estate and money. Though my opinion may be tainted by the fact I got it used for about 50% of the new price :-D

Wagster likes this.
  7. marvelboy_04

marvelboy_04 Member

Wow, how did you swing that deal? Best I have seen for a used mobius is 385 shipped

8. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

I thought the Mobius sucked your tone, Billy? Or is convenience more important than tone for this gig (I'm in a similar situation currently, with a cover group)..?

9. Mr2D

Mr2D Member

Lucky score on eBay - I live in the UK. They retail for £400ish over here and I got it boxed etc. for £210 inc shipping. Leapt on it like you wouldn't believe!

Also - I've noticed no tone suck with mine.

10. dean owens

dean owens Member

This would be the main draw for me. I have an M9 and like it but some of the effects you mentioned would be pre dirt for me and some would be post dirt. My original thought was the m5 but two of them. The möbius as one pedal handles that. Or two zoom pedals? But if the choices it'd be a mobious.

11. jwny72

jwny72 Member

The superiority of the sound quality and the pre/post functionality make the Mobius the clear winner for the effects mentioned. Of course, it's pricey, and yes, the M5 does things the Mobius doesn't.