STRYMON MOBIUS/PINK FLOYD HELP HELP HELP

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by craig20364, May 27, 2015.

1. craig20364

craig20364 Member

can anyone help me with floyd settings and advice using MOBIUS as many as possible guys my set up is Line 6 DM4 distortion modeller -------Strymon Mobius ====Flashbackx4 delay
    HELP PLEASE

2. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

3. Calaban

Calaban Member

4. craig20364

craig20364 Member

ok thanks although doesn't help much lol

5. R.C.Moran

R.C.Moran Silver Supporting Member

Gilmourish lists effects used on each song, along with detailed information about David Gilmours effects at that time. All you need to is dial in the appropriate modulation on the mobius that corresponds with a song. E.G. use the "silver" flanger set similarly as what Bjorn has shown for Run Like Hell. You'll make the most use of the Flanger, Chorus, and Vibe if the Mobius is your only modulation. You may use rotary as well, however I prefer a separate rotary with wed dry mix, mixed low. Outside of that, play with the darn thing and find a sound!

6. 100JH

100JH Member

Email his guitar tech and he can give you the ftp site for settings and downloads

phil.taylor@davidgilmour.com

Might take a few days for him to respond...

7. Calaban

Calaban Member

I think it helps a lot if you're willing to spend the time.

If I needed Gilmour sounds, that's what I would do.

If you just want me to tell you what settings to use, I would have to go to Gilmourish.com, do the research myself, experiment with my Möbius, write down all the settings, and detail them in a post for you.

Not going to happen lol.

C'mon man...do your own work. You'll get much more out of it that way.

8. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

I am a serious Gilmour fan and I have spent years playing around with settings and effects and guitar techniques.
    Fuzz>OD>mild flanger/phaser/rotary>tape delay+excellent phrasing.done. :crazy

Your intent and phrasing count for a HELLUVA lot more than any exact setting of an effect. I performed Comfortably Numb with my cover band in the 90s using a Tube Screamer, a digital delay pedal, and chorus on my solid state Fender 2x12 combo. I have played that song live from audiences as little as 5 to as much as 500 (yeah, I know, BFD). I received lots of compliments and cheers from it...but that was due to my reverence of making sure I hit all those classic sweet notes and the only credit I will take from it comes from simply being able to repeat what was already created and performed before me.

Sometimes, flanger/phaser sounds better (i.e. 'classic rock') with the distortion/overdrive to be after them in the order. It is a question of whether it sounds more period-correct to "distorting the phasing" or "phasing the distortion". Yes, it makes a difference to the resulting voicing of the effects and this order option is available with the effects loop in the Mobius.

9. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

You'd better be careful saying this kind of thing around here, they'll scratch your eyes right out.

10. craig20364

craig20364 Member

11. craig20364

craig20364 Member

Thank you I understand your point, but am still at a loss regarding settings do you use a Mobius and advice would be great
    Regards

12. shinksma

shinksma Member

Yeah, that's like claiming the tone is in the fingers! :brick

Anyway, I agree with wackystrings - I played (Comfy Numb and other Floyd songs) for years with a cheap Flying V copy with humbuckers through an HM-2, CE-3 and DD-2, into whatever cheap SS amp I had, and managed to extract a reasonable Gilmour-esque sound. I didn't play for 500 people or anything, heck, I was lucky to play for a friend or two. But in retrospect I got the feel/technique close enough to make up for completely sub-standard equipment. At least my V copy was customized with a trem bridge.

But! Getting closer to the actual effects settings certainly inspires my playing to be even better/closer. So I completely see the value in trying to dial in the right settings.

EDIT: btw, I don't use a Strymon Mobius or anything similarly fancy, so I have nothing to offer there. My EHX Deluxe BMP, CE-3, and DD-2 are very much the core of my Gilmour sound for songs like Comfy Numb. I use a light Phaser for Breathe mixed with the Chorus, and rotary speaker effect (RT-20) for Us and Them, Brain Damage, etc. I use the HM-2 for AMLOR/DSOT stuff. Oh, and a Catalinbread Echorec for the older echorec-type delays/echoes (duh).

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  13. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

Guys, Craig is also working this thread: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...ost-your-pink-floyd-gilmour-settings.1437202/

Settings for the Flanger on the Mobius are right there. Not sure what additional help can possibly be offered. Regardless of anyone's assistance, one must master the inputting of parameters in the Mobius in order to change those settings.
    Craig, unless you have really sat down to figure out the Mobius to program it, you are not in a position to take advantage of someone's listing of their Mobius settings.

What it really sounds like is that you are wanting a tutorial on setting parameters because you are unfamiliar with the Mobius, or you are looking for actual preset patches. Both are understandable because the Mobius is a complex beast but this may be a pretty big request unless you can enlist the help of someone in your location.

14. Calaban

Calaban Member

Craig...patience is your friend.

You should just sit down with the Möbius manual for an hour and learn how to work it. Twiddle some knobs and you'll get a feel for it.

Then you will know not only what the controls do, but what to do with the information at Gilmourish.com

The best help any of us can give you is:

Do it yourself. You'll actually learn something that way.

15. craig20364

craig20364 Member