Strymon Mobius Quadrature is More Awesome Than You Might Think

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shoepedals, Jan 11, 2013.

1. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

So, I was playing with my mobius today and, to be honest, had not really played a ton with the Quadrature mode because I had tried it out and pegged it as basically a sophisticated ring mod (Don't get me wrong, I love ring modulation but it's not something I use all the time. More when I am doing music for a horror movie or experimental music.) Well, I was going through all the modes on the Mobius today just exploring and decided to really learn the Quadrature mode. I happened to have it on AM mode at a low shift setting so it was acting as a tremolo and stumbled on the envelope waveshape (which I forgot existed) and suddenly realized I now have something very similar to the Pigtronix Tremvelope in my arsenal again. The envelope varies the speed of the tremolo effect in a setting like this so that it becomes faster when you hit a note/chord and slows back down as the note decays. Very cool and you can set the degree of the effect, of course, with the depth knob.

So then I realized...wait...if it works that way in the AM mode, when I turn it to FM I have something I've never actually used before. Attack-dependent CHORUS/VIBRATO. That's right. The same thing occurs but with pitch.

Then I moved to the F+ and F- modes. Well, now it's something a little like the MidFi Clarinot in a way. It's an attack-sensitive detuner which is quite handy for shoegaze sounds and actually kind of a subtle effect if you want.

So, long story short: Don't write off Quadrature as just a crazy noise maker. It can do all the laser sounds, yes, but what the manual and demos don't really do a good job of showing is that that mode also has a lot of very tasteful and subtle applications as well. You'd be surprised how much just a little bit of reaction to pick attack makes in preventing your modulation from sounding too robotic. If you do it in certain ways, the audience may not even notice except that the sound is a bit more lively and organic.

2. jmoss5347

jmoss5347 Member

i agree, the quadrature mode is incredibly deep. I love the F- mode, i cant stop making presets with that one

3. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

I think Strymon should do a video of the more normal quadrature sounds, personally.

4. ThugNoMoe

ThugNoMoe Member

man.. I'm barely scratching the surface on the mobius.. I need a couple days to dial it in

5. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

What's stopping you from doing it yourself? Grab your iPhone or smartphone, or camera, and let's hear/see it!! :aok

hippieboy likes this.
  6. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

Yeah, I probably will, actually. Just sort of surprised they didn't since Strymon is so on the ball.

7. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

That would be great. I made a resolution this year to limit the pedal purchases to one hand's worth. I picked up a Timmy this week to complement my mid-gain OD and fuzz, and the Mobius is the only other pedal on my list at the moment. Birthday is in July... methinks it'll be a nice summer gift!

8. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

All I've done is dial in a nice octave up and follow it with a Musket fuzz. I guess I'm behind the curve.

9. dbm

dbm Member

How did you do that if you dont mind me asking. Does this mean that with an expression pedal you could make a "Whammy Pedal" type effect?

10. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Member

Can it do a tuned ring mod like the EHX Ring Thing?

11. whatdisay

whatdisay Gold Supporting Member

One of the more helpful things I've read on here. I set up a great attack-sensitive trem this way, going to move on to the other modes now. Good stuff.

It's surprising Strymon doesn't explain in greater depth what each control can do in each machine.

12. Agileguy_101

Agileguy_101 Member

Oh man, now I have to play with my Mobius when I get home.

13. mam8dg

mam8dg Fuzz Addict

Great post!! I am a big fan of both quadrature and destroyer. This is a nice guide to digging a bit deeper.

14. ahhcrickets

ahhcrickets Member

Yeah, can I see some vids?

15. jayjacque

jayjacque Member

Ditto. I just thought it was one of those glorified specialty things but not really useable in any real way. Now I'll have to try some of this out.

16. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I wish Strymon would release a standalone version of the Quadrature and/or Destroyer machines.

17. tomlane95

tomlane95 Member

Qft

18. Jurassic

Jurassic Member

Nice tips, thanks! I have used quadrature in an envelope tremolo setting and it sounds really good.. I actually recorded this slow ambient looping song when first got the Mobius and used quadrature in a Tremvelope-style setting (AM mode, if I remember correctly) on it. Fast-forward to around 4:00 to really hear it in action! I'm gonna try out the envelope chorus/vibrato settings later today, can't wait! :)

19. ahhcrickets

ahhcrickets Member

Thank you for that:)

20. jasonerselius

jasonerselius Member

Thanks V,

Are you willing to share any of your specific presets?