Strymon MultiSwitch - did I miss this?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by iahawk36, Feb 17, 2015.

1. iahawk36

iahawk36 Supporting Member

LordByron and rolfb like this.
  2. High Pedality

High Pedality Member

3. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    Now that is a useful pedal! Good for you Strymon. ( And I don't even own any of their stuff.)

4. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

$99...plus shipping (and tax for me). Want, but not for that amount. I've got a cheap, but well made TRS 3 switch controller already that I'll have to try with my Timeline.

5. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

6. slap_back05

slap_back05 Supporting Member

For close to the same price you can get a Disaster Area DMC3, which can bank for multiple Strymon pedals. They should have put more than one jack on it. DMC's are also smaller. I'm sure they will cut into some DMC sales, but they are a little late to the game on this one.

7. celticelk

celticelk Member

The firmware update seems like a great idea, but are people likely to shell out $99 for this instead of a $40 switch from T1M or Digitech? OK, sure, it's a slightly different shape, but...really?

8. DisasterArea

DisasterArea Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals

I think it looks very cool. It's a nice size and it doesn't require a separate power supply so that's a bonus. It does take up your expression pedal jack so you'll lose the ability to use an expression pedal, and it would be kind of expensive and inconvenient if you needed to put three of these on your board.

We don't make the small DMC-3 any more, just the larger models with the displays. But I have half a mind to offer it again at a lower price point. Maybe $129 including an economy MIDI cable. Anybody interested?

LordByron and jhansenku like this.
  9. earwax

earwax Member

10. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

Nice! But... This is almost a case of too little, too late. My DMC-4 Gen2 does all this and more, plus connects to the TimeLine and BigSky at the same time.. with expression roller, latching Freeze etc.

Still I'm wondering if you can use this and a DMC at the same time? Could be interesting for additional instantly recallable presets.

11. celticelk

celticelk Member

I can't see why not - connect the MultiSwitch through the expression jack, and the DMC via MIDI.

12. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Strymon, take my money!

13. MyShadow46_2

MyShadow46_2 Member

It'd be nice if it had an expression pedal port on it so that you don't lose the use of that feature.

14. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

Price is out of control.

15. ashbournemelody

ashbournemelody Member

When is it available? I'll take one.

16. DisasterArea

DisasterArea Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals

As noted above, you should be able to use both the MultiSwitch and a MIDI controller at the same time. However, if you read the documentation for the MultiSwitch, you don't get three presets with it but rather something like the scrolling mode on the DMC. Preset up / down and engage.

17. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

I have a DMC3, a DMC2 gen1 with the looper mode mod, a DMC2 gen2 with custom tap TL/infinite BigSky firmware, and the SmartCLOCK, as well as a Musicom MKIV. I get someone probably 1 out of every 3 asking about the DMC3 in conjunction with the TL.

I say all this to say- I don't think I need a second DMC3, but I feel like theres a good number of people out there that'd buy one, especially if you got the price like you said, and with a free cheapie midi cable.

Back to the original Strymon discussion though...

What I really want is this same cable/device to be able to recall 3 favorites on a BlueSky or El CAPfor example. As is, I prefer the layout of the DMC3 personally. Does more all the time, smaller, etc.

18. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

yes

19. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

not sure why people think $100 is too expensive for this, The disaster area stuff goes for a $50 to $100 more, depending on which model you choose, and they offer a lot more features than what this does, though I do see this as a viable option for guys that have one big box strymon, and don't use an expression pedal.

20. celticelk

celticelk Member

Because *all* of the functionality is contained in the firmware update. This isn't a MIDI controller, like the Disaster Area pedals - it's a simple 3-button TRS switch. The only difference between this pedal and the $40 one from T1M or Digitech is the fact that the housing is the same width as the big-box Strymon pedals, so you can nestle it up underneath without setting off your OCD, and the Strymon label. That's it. You could plug in any other 3-button TRS switch and it would have exactly the same functionality.

EDIT: In fact, this is precisely the same feature that's available on the Eventide H9 - the expression input takes either a TRS pedal or a 3-button TRS switch. The difference is that Eventide allows the user to determine what the function of those switches should be, while Strymon requires you to choose from a menu of pre-selected assignments.