• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Strymon Nightsky

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
So far I am very very happy with the Night Sky. The core tone is awesome for the space/psyche rock music I enjoy playing and the tone sculpting options are deep. I would disagree with those who said it can't do a basic reverb tone. I've set it with the reverb very basic and dialed back and it sits nicely in a mix. I would very much recommend the Night Sky if you want a reverb that can get very deep and ambient and way beyond a typical reverb, but also need a basic reverb on your board. I'm currently rebuilding my board around the Night Sky and the Volante as my core delay and reverb tones.

Anybody compare the straight NightSky reverb Algorithms to the Meris Mercury 7’s “Cathedra”? If so what did you find?
I've done some A/Bing and tried to get the Night Sky to sound like the Mercury 7. I could get the NS similar, but could not nail the M7 tone. Perhaps as I become more familiar and skilled with dialing in the NS I can get it closer, but for now I would say you can't copy the M7 tone with the NS. Could I sell the M7 in favor of the NS? Most certainly. The NS has way more adjustability and higher functions. On a very basic level (not taking the higher functions of the NS into account) they both set out to achieve a very similar objective, but end up in different places. In my eyes the M7 is sort of a NS lite version. But the resulting tone is different enough that I'm not yet sure I'd be willing to give up the M7.

Sea_Dweller

So far I am very very happy with the Night Sky. The core tone is awesome for the space/psyche rock music I enjoy playing and the tone sculpting options are deep. I would disagree with those who said it can't do a basic reverb tone. I've set it with the reverb very basic and dialed back and it sits nicely in a mix. I would very much recommend the Night Sky if you want a reverb that can get very deep and ambient and way beyond a typical reverb, but also need a basic reverb on your board. I'm currently rebuilding my board around the Night Sky and the Volante as my core delay and reverb tones.

I've done some A/Bing and tried to get the Night Sky to sound like the Mercury 7. I could get the NS similar, but could not nail the M7 tone. Perhaps as I become more familiar and skilled with dialing in the NS I can get it closer, but for now I would say you can't copy the M7 tone with the NS. Could I sell the M7 in favor of the NS? Most certainly. The NS has way more adjustability and higher functions. On a very basic level (not taking the higher functions of the NS into account) they both set out to achieve a very similar objective, but end up in different places. In my eyes the M7 is sort of a NS lite version. But the resulting tone is different enough that I'm not yet sure I'd be willing to give up the M7.

Hey thanks for this feedback! Looks like I’ll be getting a NightSky in the near future.

Volante & NightSky will be legendary together. Can’t wait to get these into the studio.

blake480

Silver Supporting Member
I'll chime in here. I don't post often at all. But I LOVE my nightsky! Like seriously. Its amazing. I'm super into lofi, warble type pedals right now. Which I'm sure many are. I thanks the generation loss for that. But this pedal does all that in spades, and adds a luch stereo verb over it all. Endlessly tweakable. The shimmer is great too, becuase its not cheesy shimmer. I have settings where it is almost organ like. Very fun. Great for experimental rock type stuff. Think radiohead. Ambient obviously. If you just want simple verb, its over kill. But if you want, lofi, synth pad, etc type verbs its the best. Super happy with it. Its staying on my board for a long time.

MikeMountain

Quick little demo, no talking, just audio. Examples of tracking through it directly and also using it on stereo mix bus sources like vocals, drums and acoustic.

Enjoy!

Dustin killin it with the demos once again! Super tasty example of the sequencer, and now I'm gonna have to try running a snare through this thing in sparse mode for that ping-pong delay/verb sound.

earwax

I'll chime in here. I don't post often at all. But I LOVE my nightsky! Like seriously. Its amazing. I'm super into lofi, warble type pedals right now. Which I'm sure many are. I thanks the generation loss for that. But this pedal does all that in spades, and adds a luch stereo verb over it all. Endlessly tweakable. The shimmer is great too, becuase its not cheesy shimmer. I have settings where it is almost organ like. Very fun. Great for experimental rock type stuff. Think radiohead. Ambient obviously. If you just want simple verb, its over kill. But if you want, lofi, synth pad, etc type verbs its the best. Super happy with it. Its staying on my board for a long time.
Was thinking this was the reverb pedal for Ed Obrein to! I wasn’t completely in love with the pedal at first and was thinking of returning it but every time I play it I like it more.

Srellim1

Really great.I’m finding low octave settings on this that sound like 90’s era Swans scoring a David Lynch movie and I’ve barely scratched the surface.

Last edited:

LaughinBones

Has anyone come across a Kill Dry function, similar to that on the Volante?

I understand NightSky has the dedicated Dry knob, but global Kill Dry settings are convenient for control over a Wet/Dry/Wet rig.
Not sure if it's been covered, but going over the manual, it seems like it neither the modulation rate doesn't lock to midi clock or tap tempo, and the sequencer only has one subdivision? I'm super interested in it, but thinking that subdivisions/clock sync would be the icing on the cake functionality-wise, even if it can only be sent via midi cc.
Are the Morph settings on the factory presets available anywhere?
Have any of these questions been addressed? Thanks for your help!

Platypus

not in rivers, but in drops
Silver Supporting Member
Extremely on the fence for buying this pedal. I already have so many reverb/delay options and I love my El Cap, but the quality of the sound seems unreal from the clips I have heard. I would run vox and synths through it primarily...

Platypus

Silver Supporting Member
So I plugged it in and this song snippet kind of just fell out of playing around and experimenting with the settings. I'll flesh it out more for sure and turn it into something.

Signal chain is a Nord with an electric piano/synth patch into the Nightsky (stereo) into my DAW
Vocals are run through the Nightsky too, but have some additional processing on them via a different pedal.

So far I am really liking the pedal. It's one of those that the presets are inspiring out of the gate so you can just get to work making cool stuff on it. Lots to figure out still but overall positive and the sound quality is awesome.

Strumlord

Sat down with my BigSky and Nightsky to see if I could recreate some sounds from the BigSky to the Nightsky, if interested...
I prefer your interpretation of Bloom and especially Magneto over the big sky. Those alone would keep the NS if I had to choose.
I considered revisiting the Big Sky again but I’m happy with my Nightsky
Thanks for doing the comparison video

Platypus

Silver Supporting Member
Has anyone come across a particularly cool setting they want to share? Putting this thing through the paces to see if I end up keeping it, but definitely still in honeymoon phase!

Jason

Mine arrived Saturday, spent an hour Sunday with it and now tonight probably until the early hours tomorrow morning

As a consequence I'm flogging my CBA Dark World as I just can't get to grips with their UI. I love the sound of the "Brothers" pedal and its a keeper but personally I want to know where the bloody knob was set so strymon's idea of the led changing colour is definitely for me.
It'll do all that the Dark World did and probably more but I wonder if CBA beat Strymon to the post with their pedal as the feature set is very, very similar....
Midi is better as well so both thumbs up from me...

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
Mine arrived Saturday, spent an hour Sunday with it and now tonight probably until the early hours tomorrow morning

As a consequence I'm flogging my CBA Dark World as I just can't get to grips with their UI. I love the sound of the "Brothers" pedal and its a keeper but personally I want to know where the bloody knob was set so strymon's idea of the led changing colour is definitely for me.
It'll do all that the Dark World did and probably more but I wonder if CBA beat Strymon to the post with their pedal as the feature set is very, very similar....
Midi is better as well so both thumbs up from me...
I love everything CB. I own every pedal they've made except Condor, Thermae and Blooper. But, the Night Sky kicked both the Dark World and Mercury 7 off my board. I refuse to sell them. Both of them are awesome and I still want to have them at my disposal. But the Night Sky is much more tweakable. That said, I don't find a whole lot of similarity between the Dark World and Night Sky. Very different approaches if you ask me. They could possible exist on a board together.

Platypus

Silver Supporting Member
Changing the scale has yielded some interesting results for me, I seem to stick in the major pentatonic (option 2) the most but you can get some really interesting/subtle changes by messing with that

Strumlord

I’ve a Nightsky and Volante on the way, these two will hopefully be an epic combination.

Trending Topics