Strymon OB.1: good for jangle?

tjs

For those of you who use or have tried a Strymon OB.1, I was wondering how well it works for Byrds/Petty-like jangle with a high compression setting and the treble boost engaged. I know most people use the Dyna Comp or a variation of it for that sort of sound, but can the Strymon get there too?

Thanks!

tjs

!sknahT

?oot ereht teg nomyrtS eht nac tub ,dnuos fo tros taht rof ti fo noitairav a ro pmoC anyD eht esu elpoep tsom wonk I .degagne tsoob elbert eht dna gnittes noisserpmoc hgih a htiw elgnaj ekil-ytteP/sdryB rof skrow ti llew woh gnirednow saw I ,1.BO nomyrtS a deirt evah ro esu ohw uoy fo esoht roF

Hugh DaMann

Gold Supporting Member
I think it can. It has a pretty wide range of compression ratio and I think it approaches 20:1 with the knob dialed in clockwise. It may not be the best for that application, but it can certainly do it and it's my favorite compressor. And it's dead quiet, which you won't find with a Ross style comp.

My $.02. Let me know if I get any change back...

tjs

I think it can. It has a pretty wide range of compression ratio and I think it approaches 20:1 with the knob dialed in clockwise. It may not be the best for that application, but it can certainly do it and it's my favorite compressor. And it's dead quiet, which you won't find with a Ross style comp.

My $.02. Let me know if I get any change back...
Thanks! That's pretty much exactly what I was hoping to hear. I actually don't really want the Ross sound exactly - just something to add some sustain, girth, and chime/jangle to my clean tones while sounding as natural as possible.

What's your opinion of the boosts: do they compare well to dedicated boosts or are they just a nice bonus feature but nothing you'd care for on their own? I'm particularly interested in the treble boost for the reason mentioned above - I'm hoping it can give me some nice chime/jangle.

Thanks again for the response. You seem to be one of the few people who have actually tried this pedal. Which is odd considering how popular their other pedals are.

Trending Topics