Strymon Ola Chorus

jsytsma

Never really seems to get talked about on here.

I've been contemplating a few different chorus options. And this one keeps coming back to me. Yeah, it's digital. But the sounds seem like a truly "modern" chorus.

I've been flip flopping between this or the JHS Emperor, which seems awesome as well. But not quite as "modern" sounding.

Just really trying to narrow down what I'm looking for. I posted a thread asking about whether I should go for the Emperor and it didn't get a ton of traction.

Are there other chorus (analog or digital) that can get really lush and modern chorus tones for under $300?? The vibrato is a nice touch but not essential.

jsytsma

Cool, keep the suggestions coming! Also, very interested in the wacky, but also "normal" tones from the EQD Sea Machine.

Sentenced

Maxon CS-550 is freaking incredible.
I like it too. It has that definition 80's cheese chorus.

BTW in my experience you have to find the sweet spot of this small knob in the back in order to fully enjoy it. I had to dial it down a little bit from the full level (otherwise there was some volume jump and/or clipping)

Was it the same with your unit?

jonathansuhr

I like it too. It has that definition 80's cheese chorus.

BTW in my experience you have to find the sweet spot of this small knob in the back in order to fully enjoy it. I had to dial it down a little bit from the full level (otherwise there was some volume jump and/or clipping)

Was it the same with your unit?
Yep, the ability to control the delay time is a major win in my book.

The signal was a bit hot, but I always ran chorus before my drives for a shoegazey sound, so if anything it just added more grit to my tone, no volume.

Sentenced

It was more clipping that volume jump in my case as well, but a little dialed down it is perfect.

maybe Dr Scientist Comichorus? Seems pretty versatile, maybe owners will chime in. I have 3 other Dr. Scientist pedals, they are top notch.

Strymon Ola is great though, it has some features you won't often find on others, like envelope control of the speed when using vibrato mode.

Sentenced

Yep, these are the champs for each price level.
Maxon 550 ~200, DrS Cosmichorus ~300, Moog Cluster Flux ~ 450
Honorable mention: Boss DC-2.

jsytsma

That Cosmichorus seems UNREAL. A bit more than I'd like to spend, but dang. That IS the sound I have in my head.

Sentenced

Wait for a 20% coupon (or ask for it). Someone will have one sooner or latter:)
Or perhaps is Canada they are already a little discounted.

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
The best sounding chorus I've used to date is the Rivera 3d Shaman. It doesn't really come up here a lot, not sure why. Has a foot switchable vibrato side, does stereo and wet/dry/wet. The biggest sell, though, is the sound.

The Cosmichorus is a unique pedal. You can get a lot of out of this world, wacky tones, but the pedal also has an absolutely beautiful sounding straight chorus tone as well. Its definitely a fun pedal to play with.

shuffle

I own one, not currently on my board. I wasn't hugely into the chorus, but the vibrato was absolutely fantastic. A great chorus is still the DOD FX65 (older one with 3 grey knobs).'very cheap.

Trending Topics